Favorite or Currently Reading/Read Lesbian Fiction Books

General members area for discussion of books and information about interviews, upcoming books, etc. Please note, is it not appropriate for authors to post promotional information about themselves here.

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Re: Favorite or Currently Reading/Read Lesbian Fiction Books

Postby ElaineB » 19 Mar 2013, 00:18

I agree with Jo. She has her following and they are happy with her writing. Who am I so criticize? For me, I think she could be a truly excellent writer but she's happy rewriting the same story over and over, just changing the names. It's not for me to tell her what to do. Each writer has to decide what she wants to accomplish with her writing--there are many motivations. If I'm going to criticize her, I should also bemoan the readers who don't care about good writing. I think if we demanded more, we'd get better writing. But again, to each her own. In the mainstream publishing world, there's room for all kinds of writing levels, from Harlequin Romances to high-falutin' literary fiction. In our little ghetto, lack of resources make that depth difficult to achieve. I almost added lack of volume, but there seems to be no end to the number of writers.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 19 Mar 2013, 07:07

Yeah, pretty much what everyone else has said. No writer--indeed, not all books by the same writer--will appeal to everyone. We all have different tastes, different wants we would like satisfied when reading a book, and different preferences in style, genre, etc. I'm not a Rad fan: that style of romance is not my cuppa. There are bound to be some here who like some of her books.

Do you like some/all of her books, PhoenixGrey?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby PhoenixGre » 30 Mar 2013, 12:42

:blush: I don't have a lot of experience with her books. The Midnight Hunters was the first series I embarked on late last year to the present. I have to admit it was a guilty pleasure. In good part, this comes out of her writing style's similarity to an authoress I was quite fond off a long time ago, but now defunct.

Recently, I've been reading one of her older works, "The Honor Series".

In my opinion, things get more interesting once she begins building on the world that she crafted out. Shifting the spotlight on different characters and couples, yet without breaking the plot's thread.

For some reason, I had trouble sitting completely through the first book. But once I got over my anal-retentiveness to read things in order, and skipped right to book 6, that has Valarie and Diane as the main focus. I grew to enjoy it quite a bit. I've finished book 7, and I'm reading the rest backwards. lol
PhoenixGre
Not much sign of life yet
Not much sign of life yet

Postby ElaineB » 30 Mar 2013, 23:14

I'm with you on wanting to read books in order! lol
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Discussions and Info