Good lesbian science fiction novels

General members area for discussion of books and information about interviews, upcoming books, etc. Please note, is it not appropriate for authors to post promotional information about themselves here.

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Re: Good lesbian science fiction novels

Postby Baker » 23 Mar 2013, 07:55

Actually, I thought of the book as more a cri de coeur * of an intelligent women forced into a life of genteel idleness. The women who populate Millenium Hall have friendships and meaningful conversations etc. I also wondered if she was traumatised by the whole ethos of sex is not something polite girls think about, but you have to totally get into it when your parents marry you off to some smelly old geezer who wants to hump away on top of you. From memory, Elizabeth Montague was her sister or sister-in-law... Okay, I'll cheat and do a search. Right, Elizabeth Montague was Sarah Scott's sister. So, it's no wonder she wrote a whole book fantasizing about how women might be taken seriously as intelligent human beings--as long as they had their own place where men were not present to lord it over and mansplain.

As for the not imagining what would happen when you have a bunch of women together... I doubt it. I think the whole sex is icky began and ended with het sex for a lot of women who were reared in genteel ignorance. Now, gradations of female friendship...

-------------
* Yes, I admit I did check the spelling on that French phrase, because I knew Wildlx would be reading this post. :blush:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 23 Mar 2013, 13:26

lol Someone who knows my pet peeves ;-).

We do tend to see the past through our experience of the present. But you're possibly right that she would be able to imagine sex between women.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 23 Mar 2013, 14:42

I was delighted but amazed when Nicola recommended Heiresses of Russ. I'd thought she was dealing only with novels. There are some very good writers of lesbian speculative fiction short stories, and I was especially encouraged to find that so many of them were published in well-known magazines and anthologies (or at least well-known by the standards of the sf/f community.)
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 23 Mar 2013, 23:15

Sacchi wrote:I'd thought she was dealing only with novels.

I think she intended to, but couldn't resist. :-)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Discussions and Info