Online Book Stores

General members area for discussion of books and information about interviews, upcoming books, etc. Please note, is it not appropriate for authors to post promotional information about themselves here.

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Re: Online Book Stores

Postby Baker » 20 Jun 2011, 08:49

So, that bit about BiblioBazaar piqued my curiosity. For more, read here for BiblioBazaar: How a Company Produces 272,930 Books A Year
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 06 Jul 2011, 09:57

Oh, crap.
Amazon today announced that it has bought UK independent online bookseller The Book Depository. Worried customers speculated on Twitter that the deal would result in price rises and the end of free shipping.

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-amaz ... ok-deposi/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/ju ... depository
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 06 Jul 2011, 13:12

Yeah, Wild posted about this in General Chat. How crappy. There goes our international source of books.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 04 Oct 2011, 07:44

Just received notification with a royalty statement that Moonhorse Books is closing down.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 29 Dec 2011, 13:55

Where do y'all buy your e books? Where do you get reccos for e books (excluding the usual lesfic press books)?

I don't do Amazon.

I can't buy from Barnes and Noble, despite owning a Nook, because I don't live in the US.

Smashwords -- I like, but they're difficult to navigate, difficult to search if you're browsing, and they have mostly obscure/small press books.

Book Depos -- I like them too, but again browsing isn't easy. They're not cheap, but they're not godawful expensive either.

I'm wanting to try some new authors, preferably fantasy, preferably by female authors, preferably with characters who are strong females and/or GLBT and/or characters of colour, and preferably not lesfic press books as I've found that 95% of them are either too heavy on the romance or poorly written mishmashes (or both). Where's the best place to browse?
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 29 Dec 2011, 14:25

Directly from the various publishers, from Rainbow ebooks, from the author's websites at times.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 30 Dec 2011, 00:34

Use Damazon to find something promising, then Google the title, author, whatever to find it somewhere else? (That'd be a nice rebuttal to Damazon's ploy to have customers go to a bookstore then buy from them.) Do you have a brick and mortar bookstore nearby? Ask them. Then ask them to sell ebooks so you can be a customer. I don't know how it works, but that's what some indies have been doing.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 30 Dec 2011, 07:21

ElaineB wrote:Do you have a brick and mortar bookstore nearby?

E, we live in New Zealand.

Oh, as a point of interest regarding Amazon. I was discussing Fran's eBook reader with a friend, who told me her impression was the Kindle was best. I said that this locked you in to buying books from Amazon. She said: "they have every book anyway." I found that an interesting datum on the effectiveness of Amazon at giving the impression they were the only bookstore anyone needs. (Yes, I did put her straight. And I told her about the Kindle "1984" incident, and how Amazon uses a proprietry ebook format, which cooled her enthusiasm somewhat.)
Baker
Site Admin

Postby deej » 30 Dec 2011, 07:27

Good for you Bakey. You might also tell her that Amazon has had other incidents of their pulling back copies that were paid for. It was not a one time incident. Also you can sometimes get books much, much cheaper than at Amazon and support smaller business people.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 30 Dec 2011, 08:09

I"ve been given links (via my lj) to http://www.kobobooks.com and www.booksonboard.com, both of which look like good shopping bets for me.....
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions and Info