Unata's ramblings on the possiblity of reading 50 books

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Unata's ramblings on the possiblity of reading 50 books

Postby Unata » 07 Aug 2010, 10:25

First off:
In compliance with FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION 16 CFR Part 255 (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm), I hereby declare that all books read and reviewed by me on this site have been purchased by me or received as a gift from someone other than the author, publisher, or editor; that I have not been requested to write a review by the author, publisher, or editor; and that I have received no compensation in any form for posting these reviews.

My version of the rating star system:
1star : Ugh, gag, pffft
2stars : Tough to get through.
3stars : Will do in a pinch.
3+stars : Decent, but not exceptional.
4stars : Good for one read through.
4+stars : Slighty better then good, might read again.
5stars : Exceptional read, on my re-read list.

I go on binges when I read it seems, can go for days and not finish or pick up a book, but then start and not stop for days unless I fall asleep or run out of books to read :snigger:
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
--Helen Keller
Unata
Lively participant
Lively participant

Re: Unata's ramblings about the 50 books she's read or not..

Postby Unata » 07 Aug 2010, 10:54

#1 Starting from Scratch - Georgia Beers

A Romance, believable characters. I enjoyed this book, although somewhat predictable, it pulls you into the story slowly, laugh, cry (maybe, depending on your own emotions), if you've known a person who "bakes" a lot when under stress, you'll find a friend in the main character Avery. Her ups and downs before she finds total happiness.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
--Helen Keller
Unata
Lively participant
Lively participant

Re: Unata's ramblings on the possiblity of reading 50 books

Postby Unata » 07 Aug 2010, 11:32

#2 Secrets in the Stone - Radclyffe

A Radclyffe romance novel of 3 women in the village of Ford's Crossing, Adrian Oakes (Taking care of her grandmothers home), Rook Tyler a recluse who carves headstones by day and sculpts her own figures of stone at night with a passion, and Melinda Singer, an art dealer who always seems to get what she wants.

I liked the premise of the storyline but it seemed to be missing things here and there, hints to paranomal events but nothing happens, the way she writes Rook sort of leaves me at odds about the character, it's hard to explain, just wasn't real comfortable about how she's written, and Melinda is left out in left field, unfinished is the feeling there.
--Helen Keller
Unata
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Unata » 07 Aug 2010, 11:58

#3 Gracefull Waters - BL Miller & VH Foster

4stars : Good for one read through.

Romance novel about a young girl, Grace Waters (17 and a half years old), who is sent to Sapling Hill Youth Facility for a culmination of petty crimes, hot headed, foul mouthed with a chip on her shoulder, meets Senior Instructor Joanna Carey who is determined to break through Grace's defensive walls to help her make something of herself.

This story runs Grace through her own personal development of sexuality, carreer and developes her crush on her Instuctor, I found the story interesting at first but sort of dragged with Instructor Carey's additude about accepting Grace as a partner later on (age difference of 12 years there abouts I recall) and some bits of their life up to marriage. There is humor spattered about, some colorful inmates and conflicts while at Sapling Hill.
Last edited by Unata on 07 Aug 2010, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
--Helen Keller
Unata
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Unata » 07 Aug 2010, 12:19

#4 Accidental Love - BL Miller

A love story about a wealthy woman, Veronica Cartwright, who after a couple of drinks, a cell phone and a snow mushy road hits destitute Rose Grayson, a woman running for her life from some men trailing after her. No one sees the accident, so Veronica wants to cover it all up by (tough to believe) picking up Rose's busted up body, puts her into a Porche, and takes her to the hospital, claims to have "found her" on the roadway.

Would have ended there and then but at one point while in emergency room, Rose opens her eyes and Veronica is smitten (love at first sight?), Veronica then claims Rose as an employee and takes care of all her expenses etc, the story tells of how they come together in a romance and how after finding out the truth effects the romance. I felt it dragged on a bit but was an ok read for fictional romance.
--Helen Keller
Unata
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Unata » 07 Aug 2010, 13:07

#5 Missing Lynx - Kim Baldwin & Xenia Alexiou

Before I get into this one, I picked this book up at Barnes & Noble without noticing it was part of a series, but understand they are seperate, just are under the same organization, Elite Operatives series.

A pretty sicko serial killer (Walter Owens) is taking women's faces ( :puke: ), the FBI goofs up so it's up to the Elite Operatives to go out and fetch this wacko.

Cassady Monroe a.k.a. Lynx is chosen to hunt down Walter Owens while on the other hand Ex Operative Jaclyn Norris (Jack) is hired to find this Walter Owens for the Russian Mafia Boss who is afriad Walter will come for his only survivor, his daughter, and wants Walter's head to keep his daughter safe. Unbeknownst to Jack, who has had a preoccupation on the younger Elite Operative Lynx since running into a young Cassady at the training facility and followed her career as a voilinist (Cassady's civilian career).

Confused? I was a bit at first until you get use to the switching back and forth between EO Headquaters, Jack, Lynx and Walter's happenings, but the story takes you through the chase of Walter Owens cross state lines, U.S. border and across the sea, Jack spots Lynx early on and figures out she's after the same guy, the story tells of them following each other then a mutual attraction between them and then working together to capture or remove the wacko as well as why Jack is an Ex operative.

There's action, drama, dense moments and a helping of lust er love :airkiss:
--Helen Keller
Unata
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Unata » 07 Aug 2010, 14:19

#6 To Close to Touch - Georgia Beers

Gretchen Kaiser, a hard nosed corporate executive, is new to the Rochester division of Emerson, Inc. and is there to bring up the sales numbers come hell or high water. Gretchen is a workaholic, a one night stand type of a person, she isn't looking for love.

Kylie O'Brien is her capable adminstrative assistant, she believes in true love, feels it's out there somewhere for her but certianly not under her nose.

Michelle (Mick) Ramsey is head of Emerson, Inc. shipping dept. she's held a torch for Kylie all along, but Kylie doesn't see Mick as more then just a good friend.

Add these 3 together and you get a modern day romance, there's conflict, attraction, yearning, denile, lust, love, all in all a good read.
--Helen Keller
Unata
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Unata » 07 Aug 2010, 14:49

#7 Madam President - Blayne Cooper and T. Novan
AND
#8 First Lady - Blayne Cooper and T. Novan

This is a story about the first woman President of the United States, Devlyn Marlowe, from election to second term (first lady).

In Madam President, Devlyn hires Lauren Strayer, a political writer and profesional biographer who has a reputation for honesty, to write about her administration, Lauren, as she writes begins to admire and fall for Devlyn and her 3 kids.

In First Lady the story goes on to tell of the partnership between Devlyn and Lauren and how Devlyn deals with not only being the first woman president and all a president deals with but also being a lesbian.

I absolutely loved these books, I laughed my ass off at parts and cried alligator tears in others, good books that pulled strong emotions out of me, the best kind of reading.
--Helen Keller
Unata
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Athena » 08 Aug 2010, 18:10

Unata wrote:#7 Madam President - Blayne Cooper and T. Novan
AND

I always wanted to read Madam President. I think I will move it on the top of my to-read-list :-)
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 09 Aug 2010, 00:27

Unata wrote:#7 Madam President - Blayne Cooper and T. Novan
AND

I really enjoyed these too. They are permenant on my Amazon Wish List should they become available cheaply anywhere...
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating
Enthusiatically participating

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010