Athena's 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Athena's 50 Book Challenge

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:31

#1 The Sea Captain And The Lady by Vada Foster [Adventure|Romance]

The story takes place in the beginning of the 18th century and is set in the Caribbean. Colleen the daughter of a navy captain joines her father at sea after her mother and two brothers die of the Cholera. On a trip to the Bahamas she meets Abigail, the daughter of the governor. Soon they fall in love and think about settling down. However Abby get captured and held for ransom by a pirate and Colleen and her father seek to reascue her.
All in all the story was not bad. Not every historical event is accurate but it's still a nice read. Image
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Athena's 50 Book Challenge

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:34

#2 Del Robertson - My Xena, What big teeth you have [XG Fanfic|Werewolf]

A Xena/Gabrielle fanfiction piece. Probably only interesting for people who know the show. When Xena and Gabrielle want to pay the Amazons a visit Xena gets bitten by a big wolf. Soon after they arrive in the Amazon village Xena starts to behave in a very strange way. Del Robertson is on of my favourite fanfic writers. This one is very funny, has a werewolf, lots of Amazons and is a perfect read for Halloween. I would read it again anytime. Image
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:36

#3 Cheyne Curry - Renegade [Time Travel|Western|Über]

Trace Sheridan, an officer travels back in time and finds herself on the farm of Rachel Young. I usually love Cheyne's stories. However it made me feel sick and angry how Rachel was treated in the beginning and I couldn't enjoy the rest of story. Image
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:37

#4 Zee And Windstar - The Secret History of Vampires [Vampire|Romance|Über]

Aaaargh, this is a great story but it ends right in the middle and now I have to wait for the sequel!! Can a reader be tortured more?

The story takes place mostly in Russia. Alexei, a vampire is hunting other creatures of the night and is so badly wounded that she is in desperate need for blood. She drains her first victim completely. Her second victim however the pickpocket Kathja is spared. Instead of killing her Alexej takes her to her house. Together they try to find out who is plotting against Alexej. But this is more difficult than they thought partly because Kathja is always getting into trouble. Fortunately the half human half hound Vidar stands by her side and protect her.

I was thinking about giving this story 5 stars. That was however before I read the last two chapters. Alexey's house gets invaded by another vampire. Everybody dies and Alexej is send to the US in a coffin from which she can't escape. Katja is looking for her and this is where the story ends.

If I read a great story I'm a very impatient reader. I want to read it all now. This is why I give only three stars. Image
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:38

gill wrote:That's the trouble with fanfic. I never start reading a story unless it is finished.
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:39

grewgirl wrote:Ah...The Secret History of Vampires. When I wrote to the authors, I got no indication that the story would actually continue, but no confirmation that Katiya's story was over, either. Zee did hint at a rewrite, though. I rather enjoyed the twists on Christianity that were woven in and was a bit disappointed when the other stories in the series were about Were's.
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:39

gill wrote:That's the trouble with fanfic. I never start reading a story unless it is finished.

Hehe, I usually scroll at the end of each story to make sure I see the words 'The End'. What I saw was 'The End for now' and I thought the story was complete :mad:

grewgirl wrote:Ah...The Secret History of Vampires. When I wrote to the authors, I got no indication that the story would actually continue...

Awww, really. :-( :-(
I wrote Zee and Windstar as well. I haven't gotten a reply so far, I just hope that they decide to continue the story
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:41

#5 Susanne M. Beck and Okasha Skat'si - The Growing [Science Fiction|Spiritualism]

The year is 2012. Not long ago humans used androids to perform the daily labour. But one day something goes terribly wrong and androids all over the world start to kill their former masters. Only a few humans survived and are now trying to stop them and save the world.

One of them is Dakota a veterinarian and a Lakota shaman. As well as Kirstin King a cyberscientist and the only survivor of the Presitent's Cabinet.

It's a bold experiment to mix a science fiction story with Native American spiritualism but Beck and Skat'si did a very good job in combining those two genres. Some things where hard for me to read like the cruelty towards animals and the mentioning of rape.

Although the book has 650 pages I wanted to to continue reading and am now somewhat sad that it ended.
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:42

la_gringa89 wrote:I loved The Growing. There were parts that I thought were a bit of a stretch, but overall, I really enjoyed it.
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 25 Mar 2010, 07:42

tanner wrote:Me, three! :-)
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010