Athena's 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Athena's 50 Book Challenge

Postby Baker » 31 Dec 2010, 08:03

Congratulations on making the 50, Athena. :cheer:

Lilien :lol:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 31 Dec 2010, 11:37

Congrats! And yes you should read Broken Wings!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 01 Jan 2011, 00:06

Lil: lol
Athena: Congrats on turning 50! :snigger:
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 01 Jan 2011, 00:23

wildlx wrote:Congrats! And yes you should read Broken Wings!

Or Shattered Appendages as I like to refer to it... ;)
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating
Enthusiatically participating

Postby ElaineB » 01 Jan 2011, 00:36

lol
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 01 Jan 2011, 07:20

Thank you everybody. :)
Elaine. lol
Since so many of you recommend Broken Wings or Shattered Appendages ( :snigger: ) I will certainly get it. So here is the summary of my 50 book challenge in 2010:

My favourite stories 2010 (That means 4 1/2 or 5 Stars):
  • LJ Maas - Rebecca's Cove [Comedy|Romance]
  • Minerva - Linger [Drama|Romance|Über]
  • Kiera Dellacroix - Icehole [Science Fiction|Thriller]
  • KG MacGregor - Malicious Persuit [Thriller|Romance]
  • Zee & Windstar - Blood And Honor [Fantasy|Romance]
  • Barbara Davies - Frederica and the Viscountess

My favourite authors 2010:
  • Zee and Windstar - This year was the first time I read their stories and I loved them :)
  • LJ Maas - One of my all time favourite writer
  • Agatha Christie - I looooove stories which hold a surprise or an unexpected twist.

Additional comments:
As you know there is a lot of bad fanfiction on the internet. However there is also a lot of very good fanfiction out there. Not only fanfiction but pretty good online stories you can read. If there is one you like, please consider mentioning it here. Even if it doesn't exist in book form but only on a website. :)
Last edited by Athena on 05 Jan 2011, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 Jan 2011, 08:36

Sue: lol
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby ElaineB » 03 Jan 2011, 00:37

Hey, who's that other LJ? As to the fanfiction--I have no problem reading it, but finding good stuff is a challenge, so yeah, post anything that's good and I'll give it a shot. Best part of this whole year's challenge is gleaning the favorites list from everyone at the end!
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 04 Jan 2011, 05:58

L.J. Maas was (in my opinion) one of the best writers in the Xenaverse. Unfortunately she died in 2005 but left us with a lot of great stories, many of them published as books.
Her work included.
The Conqueror Series - One of the best Xena - Conqueror fanfic and The Queen Series.
These stories by her have been published:

None So Blind
It's been almost 15 years since Chicago writer, Torrey Gray has set eyes on the woman she fell in love with so long ago. Taylor Kent has become one of the most celebrated artists in the country, and has spent the last 15 years trying to, unsuccessfully, forget the young woman that walked out of her life, stealing Taylor's heart in the process. Best friends forever, neither woman has ever been able to find the courage to speak about the growing passion they felt for one another.
Now an unusual, but desperate request will throw the old friends together again, but this time, will either of them be able to voice their unspoken desires, or has time become their enemy?

Tumbleweed Fever
In the Oklahoma Territory of the old west Devlin Brown is trying to redeem herself for her past as an outlaw, now working as a rider on a cattle ranch. Sarah Tolliver is a widow with two children and a successful ranch, but no way to protect it from the ruthless men who would rather see her fail. When the two come together sparks fly, as a former outlaw loses her heart to a beautiful yet headstrong young woman.

Meridio's Daughter
Tessa (Nikki) Nikolaidis is cold and ruthless, the perfect person to be Karê, the right-hand, to Greek magnate Andreas Meridio. Cassandra (Casey) Meridio has come home after a six-year absence to find that her father's new Karê is a very desirable, but highly dangerous woman.
Set in modern day Greece, on the beautiful island of Mýkonos, this novel weaves a tale of emotional intrigue as two women from different worlds struggle with forbidden desires. As the two come closer to the point of no return, Casey begins to wonder if she can really trust the beautiful Karê. Does Nikki's dark past, hide secrets that will eventually bring down the brutal Meridio Empire, or are her actions simply those of a vindictive woman?
Will she stop at nothing for vengeance...even seduction?

Rebecca's Cove
Chicago native B.J. Warren travels to the Florida island of Ana Lia to care for her grandmother's house after her grandmother has an accident and breaks her hip. Nothing and no one on the island is anywhere near what BJ would call normal. The island inhabitants exist in a world that cares little for what folks do on the mainland. The center of activity for their society revolves around a diner called Rebecca's Cove where the self-centered B.J. alienates just about every member of the small community. But she meets her match in a local woman named Hobie Lynn Allen.
This is not a love at first sight story as both women find the other completely annoying and self-righteous. However, the island-and Rebecca's Cove-has an odd way of changing the way folks view their world and the people around them. Sometimes it's not a matter of what you're seeing, but rather, the position from which you see it.

She had her own website where you can read her stories and check for yourself if this is the kind of writing you like before you buy her books. www.art-with-attitude.com.
If this site is not available anymore you can find her on the wayback machine :)
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 04 Jan 2011, 06:30

Gosh, Ath, where did you get hold of Icehole? I thought that one was out of print and so highly sought after that old copies sold for hundreds of dollars? (Or maybe I'm wrong and it's some other book I was remembering.)
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010