Baker claws her way through some books

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Baker claws her way through some books

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:33

I'm on page 836 of the second volume of War and Peace. Two more volumes to go...

I have the strongest suspicion I may not make 50 books this year.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: Baker claws her way through some books

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:34

ElaineB wrote:Not the book for a 50-book challenge year!

(I confess I've never read it. Which translation are you reading? A new one came out a year or so ago that made me actually want to try it, it got such good reviews. But can I remember it...?)

Stay away from Remembrance of Things Past.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:34

wildlx wrote:You may want to consider each volume as a book. Kind of like the sequels in lesfic :;).

:hmm: I read War and Peace, but I've never read Proust.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:35

This is not the first time I've read this book, but this is a new edition/translation for me. The translation is by Constance Garnett: publisher Koenemann (1999). It comes as a boxed set of four nicely sized hardback volumes that are not at all unwieldy to hold and read. Footnotes, too. :) You'd probably be surprised at how readable this book is.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:36

wildlx wrote:You may want to consider each volume as a book. Kind of like the sequels in lesfic :;).

:lol: But better written and more memorable? :;)
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:36

wildlx wrote:Indeed :;).
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:37

p1792
Baker
Site Admin

wildlx wrote:Well done, Baker :;). How many left to read?
Baker
Site Admin

I'm at chapter 3 of the epilogue, so no more than a couple of hundred pages, I think. :;)

Actually, it's a miracle I made it past about p1700, since I was told that clever women aren't real women. :roll: I can't understand why his long-suffering wife didn't strangle him. Mind you, if I had stopped reading at that point, I'd have missed the pearl of Tolstoy's logic that concluded with the announcement that if you admit reason has any part in directing life, then life must be annihilated!

The bits (which form an increasing proportion of the book after the French invasion of Russia in 1812) where Tolstoy expounds his pet theory about how over-rated Napoleon was make for interesting insights into the author. One of the my faves--in a "dude, you haven't thought about this as much as you think you have" way--was how Tolstoy tried to make a case for chance and genius having neither any real existence (or force) in human affairs.

I have lots to say about how he writes women characters and how he writes about women. In a book this size, that's lots of fodder--and not all of it is cannon fodder. :;)
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:38

wildlx wrote:
Baker wrote:Actually, it's a miracle I made it past about p1700, since I was told that clever women aren't real women.

Ah, is it because they have a male brain :roll: ?
Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010