Baker claws her way through some books

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Baker claws her way through some books

Postby jisun » 16 Dec 2010, 12:35

:lol: Thanks, Sue. Much appreciated. :welcome:
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
jisun
Increasingly animated
Increasingly animated

Postby Baker » 18 Dec 2010, 07:46

(40) Rhinegold by Stephan Grundy

1+stars

I haven't finished this book, and won't. So, I ought not be counting it, except I've read over 360 pages, which is the equivalent of more than most fiction books. And, yes there are over 200 pages to go. But I just can't do it. Still, I am going to claim some credit for making it that far.

This is another of those books that have been on my to-read pile seemingly forever. It ought to have been enjoyable. The subject mattter is one I find interesting: it's a retelling of, bascially, the Nibelungenlied. This, along with other Northern and Germanic sources, have formed a rich vein for many types of art--including, of course, Richard Wagner's incomparable Ring Cycle.

This book is bloated, unwieldy, and would be a zillion times improved by the imposition of some sort of structure. It meanders its extremely wordy way through a succession of linked stories. I am familiar with the myths and sagas concerned, but even I kept losing track of what had gone before and where the story was headed--and why. One of the beautiful things about the Norse sagas, in particular, were their ways with words. Grundy is clearly a fan, but makes a laboured imitator.

My advice to anyone interested in this chunk of mythology/daga: read the Poetic Edda. Read the Nibelungenlied. Don't read this book.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 30 Dec 2010, 09:20

(41) Brew Like a Monk by Stan Heironymous

4stars

For beer lovers, Belgian ales hold a special place in our palates. If you've never tried a Belgian ale, treat yourself to a bottle of Trappist ale. Your olefactory senses will love you for it. The monk in the title is, of course, a reference to those Trappist ales. Strictly speaking, they are not a style. Nor are they the be-all and end-all of Belgian beers, but Trappist is quintessentially Belgian. This book is not like other "how to" brew books. There are very few recipes. What you get, instead, is context, history, terrior. The author traces the development of the different (currently 6) Cistercian abbeys that brew beer in commercial quantities, and have the coveted Trappist designation. Sure, he talks about water, hops, malt, etc. But it's more about the culture and the philosophy behind the brewing that comes through. It's an interesting and rich way of learning a brewing style (that, strictly speaking, isn't a separate style). This isn't a beginning brewer's book: you won't learn how to brew. It doesn't talk about why you mash at certain temps or when you add hops etc. But anyone who knows how to brew all-grain will get a great deal out of this book.

Edited to add: I know, I know: there's no way I'm making 50. But then, I knew I wasn't off to a flying start with War and Peace first up. :no: Must read more 180 page lesfic next year.

....or not.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 30 Dec 2010, 11:21

Well done Baker considering the books you've read, especially War and Peace and The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich :-). And yes, you're right, reading most lesfic books is done in a couple of hours
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby sbarret » 31 Dec 2010, 06:25

Well done by all accounts!

Ram in a few graphic novels and you'll make 50!
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby ElaineB » 01 Jan 2011, 00:07

lol
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 01 Jan 2011, 01:08

Do they count??? I thought that would be cheating.
I read The Last Man. It was quite good.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 Jan 2011, 08:30

Proofrdr wrote:Do they count??? I thought that would be cheating.

lol Apparently not.

Proof wrote:I read The Last Man. It was quite good.

Is that the one where there is only one man left on earth?
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 01 Jan 2011, 09:57

Uh...yeah rofl rofl rofl
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010