Because grewgirl needed an excuse to read more books.....

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Because grewgirl needed an excuse to read more books.....

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 07:43

The Devil Inside, Ali Vali
AoC
L

This book is classified as a romantic thriller but it did not invoke to 'edge of your seat' feeling that I normally associate with thrillers. The story held my interest, and I've already started the second book in the series. The main romantic couple in this book is physically the same couple that I've seen in much of this author's online work. They are, as usual, independently wealthy and devastatingly sexy. Derby Cain Casey, the main character, has suffered repeated tragedy in her life, the likes of which would put a mere mortal like myself into a mental ward.

Vali does a good job describing the hidden working of New Orleans - the mob/crime/drug business. Even though the characters aren't completely original (in looks or basic actions) they are likable. This was a fairly quick read - I think I was done three hours in to a 5 hour flight.
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl
Energetic and lively in discussions

Re: Because grewgirl needed an excuse to read more books....

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 07:44

The Devil Unleashed, Ali Vali
AoC
L

This book had the potential to be much better if only because of the cliffhanger at the end of the first book. We see the rebuilding of a relationship and the fledgling beginnings of another. The first thing that I found annoying was that this book picks up minutes after the first, but the children each aged a year in that time. Vali also changed the name of one of the characters. That was confusing, and I had to flip back through the first book just to make sure I hadn't missed something.

This was also a fairly fast read, and I've already started the third book in the Casey Family Saga.
grewgirl

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 07:46

MEC wrote:
grewgirl wrote:The first thing that I found annoying was that this book picks up minutes after the first, but the children each aged a year in that time.

I just convinced myself it was like a soap opera where it takes weeks to get through a single day for the characters and the children go from babies to teenagers in less than a year. :) My main quibble was that the son talked and acted more like a twenty year old than a thirteen year old.
Last edited by grewgirl on 25 Mar 2010, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
grewgirl

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 07:46

In the third book the ages reverted back. Maybe her editor was more concerned with other aspects of continuity?
grewgirl

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 07:56

Hey, GG, funky new avatar. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 07:58

Deal With the Devil, Ali Vali
L

I couldn't put it down for long without wondering what I was missing. If you're reading along, you're probably caught up in the drama, er, saga of the Casey family. I'm very impressed at the strength of emotion that the women in this book have for their mobster mates. Once again, I did notice that there was bit of discontinuity - the little girl is four again, but her brother is now 12.5. Just a few months ago, he was 11. I did see the word "worse" used in place of "worst" once. We see the beginning of yet another romance. At this point, the only non lesbian women are the mothers of the mobsters. I wish I was surrounded by eligible lesbians...at least I'd never be bored.

I'm still kicking myself for not checking to see if there was a fourth book in this series.

EDIT- I forgot to mention that one of the family/Mobster names changed from book one to book three. Grrr.....
grewgirl

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 08:10

Baker wrote:Hey, GG, funky new avatar. :-)

:) He got tired of hanging out all by his lonesome over at my LiveJournal, so he made a deal with Buttercup so that he could hang out here.
grewgirl

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 11:46

# 4
Thirteen Hours, Meghan O'Brien
All Lesbian, All the Time
Read the rough online copy of this one and then bought it just to see what changes the author would make. It's a romance with a lot of graphic sex. The published version has an extended storyline and we do see a little more of the relationship between Dana and Lauren. It seemed to me like they were more interesting at the beginning, but the naughty girl in me didn't have any issues with the gratuitous sex in the second half of the book. Very light reading, but I'd skip it if you don't care for PWP.
grewgirl

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 11:47

Sumter Point, KG MacGregor
L
Nice light romance that kept my attention while sitting in a waiting room all day. One thing that I enjoyed about the story was how the younger woman, Audie, matures throughout the book. Nothing happens overnight, and she actually weighs the benefits of personal growth as opposed to saying, "I'm in love therefore I must change."
grewgirl

Postby grewgirl » 25 Mar 2010, 11:49

Baker wrote:
grewgirl wrote:you will probably enjoy it

Who are you talking to? :;)

Hey...I just stole the star code - I didn't make any changes .
Point of Clarification - The other romantic sops out there will probably like this book.

HH wrote:Yeah, that's what I mean, too: "fans of this genre will probably like this book". Otherwise I'd have to have a different star rating for every genre!

Baker wrote:
grewgirl wrote:Hey...I just stole the star code - I didn't make any changes :).

:lol: You're forgiven then. ... I think... :;)

GG wrote:Point of Clarification - The other romantic sops out there will probably like this book.

Thanks. :-) I know I can be pedantic, but I like this spelled out for me. I've read too many reviews where I am told I will or will not enjoy something, or find something hilarious, when the reviewer actually has no idea who will be reading their review and what they actually meant was that they enjoyed it etc.
grewgirl

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010