Wildlx's readings

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Wildlx's readings

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 08:45

I'll take the ratings from HH:

1star: utter crap
2stars: not worth reading
3stars: okay but nothing out of the ordinary
3+stars: pretty good; you will probably enjoy it
4stars: really good; I recommend it
4+stars: very good indeed; I'll be reading this one again
5stars: the best I've read in a long time.

#1. Come and Get Me by Julie Cannon, BSB: 1star
I was trying to read something fluffy but this is lesfic trash. Uses the meme lesbian (in Armani suit) Don Juan meets wannabe lesbian, falls in love and redemption into monogamy follows. The writer is always telling us how the characters really are because they behave quite the contrary to what they are supposed to behave. The plot makes no sense whatever. I confess that I mostly skimmed after the first third of the book. To be missed.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Wildlx's readings

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 08:47

#2. Midsummer Nights edited by Jeanette Winterson, Quercus: 3+stars
Why not take an opera and shift it? That is the premise for the nineteen short stories in this book written by several well-known writers to homage Glyndebourne's 75th birthday. The book is a bit uneven and I found some of the stories boring. However, some of them are quite good. Among them, Jeanette Winterson's Goldrush Girl, Ali Smith's Fidelio and Bess, Andrew O’Hagan’s First Snow a feminist take on Eugene Oneguin, Colm Toibin’s The Pearl Fishers, Lynne Truss’s String and Air, a reworking of Britten’s The Turn of the Screw or Antonia Fraser's My lovely countess, a take at Le Nozze de Figaro. The book also includes informative notes on all the operas referred in the short stories written by Margaret Reynolds.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 08:49

Nurse Jo wrote:I like the things I've read by Lynne Truss and Antonia Fraser. Fraser writes historical biographies usually and I think we have most of them.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 08:50

#3. Renegade by Cheyne Curry, PD Publishing: 1star
Terrible book, with nothing really that I liked. Characters which are inconsistent - of which Trace is the pinnacle - stereotypical and one-dimensional; paper thin plot - with an overuse of deus ex machina of which the Pawnees are the main example; and, something that irritated me terribly which was the permanent explanations to what was going on, sometimes by more than one character (!), as if the reader was mentally challenged and unable to understand what was going on in the story.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 08:50

#4. The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood, Cannongate: 4stars
Margaret Atwood retells the story of Penelope and Odysseus and of the 12 maids that were murdered by Odysseus upon his return home. The story is told from the contemporary perspective of both Penelope and the 12 hanged maids who are dead in Hades. Atwood wanted to answer the questions of what led to the hanging of the maids and what was Penelope really up to. Atwood's usual shrewdness and humour illustrates beautifully how a different perspective can show the double standards between sexes and social classes. The book is also an attempt at making the record straight by both Penelope, who has been haunted by her cousin Helen all her life, and by the maids whose death questions the interrelationships between justice, punishment and power.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 08:51

Baker wrote:I'd love to choose this as my book for the challenge, except it doesn't look like I could squeak it past the lesbian requirement. Shame. Atwood would give us all something to discuss, I'm sure. As someone who has read the Odyssey and thought Penelope must have had more character than anyone gave her credit for, I'll definitely read this. Perhaps in about 2015 at the rate I'm reading. :roll:
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

wildlx wrote:I'll send it to you. It is a small book (192 pages but the book is in small format and with wide margins), so you'll be able to read it fast. It is almost like a chapter of War and Peace :;). And, yes, Penelope is portrayed as a much more interesting character than just the paradigm of the faithful wife.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Baker wrote:
wildlx wrote:It is almost like a chapter of War and Peace :;).

:lol:

I would be grateful to borrow this, but I was only half joking at how long it would take me to get around to reading it. I still have books of yours on my to-read pile. So, maybe you ought to lend it to others before me.

Have you read the Odyssey and the Illiad? The women in them generally get short shrift. From memory, Athena gets the pleasure of waiting on Achilles at one point! :roll: We rarely get a woman's POV, and I couldn't help wondering what the story would be like told from their side. Penelope is one. Cassandra is another. Hecuba. Helen. It's like in the opera Elektra: the fact that Agamemnon sent for Klytemnestra's eldest daughter, Iphigenia, and used her as a human sacrifice for good weather so the army could sail off to war, is never mentioned as one of the reasons why Klytemnestra may have had grounds for taking an axe to her husband when he returned from the war. No, she is presented as some unnatural husband-murdering monster. So, it's great to see terrific women authors explore some of these characters.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 08:52

wildlx wrote:No problem. I promise not to send it today :;).
:blush: No. Just a version of those books for young people. And I don't even have the excuse of not having access to the books since in the case of the Odyssey my mother had the "real" version.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 08:52

Baker wrote:By "real" do you mean a full adult version--as opposed the adapted version you read as a youngster--or do you mean your maternal parental unit read it in the original Greek?
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010