Tanner's 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Tanner's 50 Book Challenge

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:09

First, I'll "borrow" HH's declaration: In compliance with FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION 16 CFR Part 255 (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm), I hereby declare that all books read and reviewed by me on this site have been purchased by me or received as a gift from someone other than the author, publisher, or editor; that I have not been requested to write a review by the author, publisher, or editor; and that I have received no compensation in any form for posting these reviews.

My scale:
1star=No
2stars=Better but beware of many problems
2+stars=Pretty good read
3stars=very good
3+stars=almost excellent and I might read it again--someday
4stars=excellent and I'd read it again
4+stars=almost the top of the heap because I rarely give 5 stars; definitely reread
5stars=Perfection

1. Command of Silence, by Paulette Callen. Spinster's Ink, 2009.
4stars
I really enjoyed this one. It's about a detective agency that's comprised of one person, Shiloh, who has multiple personalities. For me, this wasn't so much about the mystery, as it was just being fascinated with the Shiloh character. I'm hoping that that it will be a series so I can see her integrate her personalities. She also has a lesbian shrink who's been her doctor for many years. No romance in this one.
Last edited by tanner on 25 Mar 2010, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
tanner
Enthusiatically participating

Re: Tanner's 50 Book Challenge

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:11

2. The Seeker, by Ronica Black. BSB, 2009.
2+stars
This one's about an actress whose wife is hit by a gun shot while on the red carpet at an event. In steps Kennedy Scott, an ex-FBI profiler, to save the day. The only problem is that Kennedy had a string of unsolved child murders that she's never gotten over. AND her sister's family has had an intruder recently, too. Kennedy had a big job ahead of her! And she's attracted to the actress' wife! Pretty creepy.
tanner

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:13

3. Renegade, by Cheyne Curry. PD Publishing.
2stars

Not too bad of a read but I thought there were a few problems -- probably just my own personal reaction. I was severely bugged by the unexplained time travel. It was like the MC was Dorothy landing in the Land of Oz, only it wasn't a dream. It was like a Zane Gray book with lesbians, cuss words, and time travel. Lost me on the line about the volcano down below or something like that.

Better things -- good main characters, had the ring of authenticity about daily life in the old west, nice humor. I only noticed one typo.
tanner

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:15

4. Stepping Stone, Karin Kallmaker. Bella, 2009.
3stars
This one is about a movie producer who has been burned in her last relationship with an actress. Enter another actress, but a "starving" one who's working as a waitress. But this actress is more of a character actress. She tries out for the producer's newest project and sparks ensue. Very likable characters. Yeah, it's "just a romance" but why can't everybody do it as well as Kallmaker. I enjoyed it very much. :-)
tanner

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:16

5. Winds of Heaven, by Kate Sweeney. Intaglio, 2009.
2+stars
Liz Kennedy's lover, Julie, has just died of cancer so Liz and her daughter, Skye, have a big problem -- they have very little money and Liz is four months pregnant. Before Julie had died, she sent a letter to her old lover, Casey, begging her to let Liz and Skye come live with her until Liz can get back on her feet. I'd compare this one to Dillon Watson's Keile's Chance, except that this one is more over the top. How many pregnant lesbians get a chance to go live with a lesbian sugar mama? And the incessant baby talk got on my nerves. Still, it was pretty okay and I was just getting over a migraine so maybe that put me in a sour mood. I usually like Sweeney's books better than this one.
tanner

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:18

6. The Scorpion, by Gerri Hill. Bella, 2009.
2stars
Frigid journalist meets loner cop and the two embark upon an investigation into a cold case from ten years earlier. The big mystery of the book: who is the scorpion? I didn't figure that out but by the third time someone's head got blown off and our girls were right there, even I didn't trust the cops! And it's bad sign when I know something before the characters do in a mystery. This one's for hard core Gerri Hill fans.
tanner

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:20

7. Goldenseal, by Gill McKnight. BSB, 2009.
3+stars
I always had a thing about werewolves when I was a kid, so maybe that's why I enjoyed this one so much. I thought both MCs were thoroughly developed and enjoyed the love story. Well written, lots of action, and humorous dialogue, too. I'm ready to move into the Garoul family compound! I'll be ordering the sequel.
tanner

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:21

8. Love on Location, by Lisa Girolami. BSB, 2008.
2+stars
Another book with a movie producer (Kate)/actress (Hannah) relationship dying on the vine. In steps Dawn, a set designer, and she and Kate fall hard for each other. I felt like Kate was a better developed character; Dawn seemed a little more remote but that may have been intentional. Pretty enjoyable.
tanner

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:22

Proofrdr wrote:I agree, Love on Location was fairly enjoyable and Kate was the better drawn character.

There were some gaffs that bothered me enough to remember them almost 2 years later. There's a kiss in the winter. They get under a chestnut tree so the leaves will shelter them from the rain. No leaves on a chestnut tree in the winter. Then there's a drive down a treed boulevard at night. The top is down, but the trees filter the sunlight...at night? I know. I'm a picky SOB. :;)
tanner

Postby tanner » 25 Mar 2010, 10:23

:rofl: I missed those, Proof, but I'm guilty of skimming through detailed descriptive parts sometimes.
tanner

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010