Jo's challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Jo's challenge

Postby Nurse Jo » 04 Sep 2010, 09:05

31. Pages for You by Sylvia Brownrigg
3+stars

As this is the current challenge book, I will say no more here.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 01 Jan 2011, 09:43

I have been very remiss in posting my books so here is a last hurrah:-

32. The Dead by Ingrid Black. 3 stars
An old mystery comes back to haunt Saxon, a former FBI agent living in Dublin. This is a satisfying novel with an excellent twist at the end and some well developed characters. Thak you Wildlx for the loan.

33. Why vote Conservative by Shane Greer . N/A
What can I say? This is not a book I read to help me decide which way to vote as I read it after the election. I read it because I enjoy reading things like this - from all sides of the political spectrum. Shane Greer is a political blogger.

34. Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon by Michael P. Ghiglieri and Thomas M.Myers 3 stars
There are many ways you can die in the Grand Canyon - some through your own stupidity and others from flash floods etc. This book gives an account of every known fatality in the Grand Canyon. There are some pitifully silly people around an some terribly unlucky ones too.

35. One dog at a time. Saving the strays of Helmand by Pen Farthing 3.5 stars
This is the story of a British marine in Afghanistan who ends up setting up a makeshift dog pound at the marine compound. This has now mushroomed into a charity NowzadIt is also a realistic account of the day to day life of the average soldier in Afghanistan. The book definitely tugged at both my heart strings and tear ducts.

36. The Death of a President by William Manchester. 2 stars
This was Sue's mother's book and she said I'd enjoy it. It is a sentimentalised account of President Kennedy's murder.

37.The Savage Altar by Asa Larsson. 4 stars
Wildlx has already summarised this book. I loved it. Thanks Wildlx for the loan and recommendation.

38. Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg. 4 stars
The last forum challenge book . see the threa for my comments. Thanks Wildlx for the loan.

39.Room by Emma Donoghue 4 stars
The story of a young girl who was abducted, imprisioned, had a child and then escapes. Very well written, very powerful.

40.The war and Freddy by Dennis Hamley.
Childrens book I read before deciding which of my 21 nieces and nephews to give it to.

Ah well, I intend to do this challenge for 2011 and reach 50 :blush: . Well done all those that reached 50 :cheer: .
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 01 Jan 2011, 09:51

Well done, Jo! 40 is also a good number :).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 02 Jan 2011, 09:33

You and I can form the 40 Club, Jo. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 02 Jan 2011, 09:50

I am 40 until March so it seems a good idea to me Baker. I have rather enjoyed my 40th year :-)
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 02 Jan 2011, 09:51

Um...strictly speaking, wasn't this your 41st year? ;)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 02 Jan 2011, 09:53

I'm not feeling strict today Baker.
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 02 Jan 2011, 09:57

rofl rofl rofl
Wonderful, Jo!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 02 Jan 2011, 10:47

lol
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 02 Jan 2011, 11:31

lol Brilliant!
Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010