Proofrdr's Attempt at 50

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Proofrdr's Attempt at 50

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 11:45

This is a doomed quest for me, but I'll give it a try.

Why change something that looks good and seems to be working. I'm blatantly copying Deej's copy of Tanner's scoring system:

My scale:
1star = Image
2stars = Better but beware of many problems
2+stars = Pretty good read
3stars = Very good
4stars = I'd read it again
5stars = Perfection

I hereby stipulate that all books on my list were either purchased by me, borrowed from a friend or a library, or read online. I readily admit to buying books second-hand, taking them from "take them they're free" tables at yard sales, and accepting them as gifts from friends.

I will not post comments on any book I have edited or by an author whose work I have edited.
Last edited by Proofrdr on 25 Mar 2010, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Proofrdr's Attempt at 50

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:19

D'Brassis wrote::yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I can't wait to read your critiques/reviews.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:22

#1 Renegade by Cheyne Curry. Online version. 2stars

Genre: Time travel western

This book looked very much like a first draft. It needed serious revision and rewriting, then a vigorous edit.

I attempted to get through the first chapter several times, but just gave up. Then, I figured, I'd start somewhere after the beginning. That at least got me into it and then it held my interest.

The inconsistencies abound and they are disconcerting. The improbabilities also abound and constantly tested my willing suspension of belief. The convenience of a time machine and so many other sudden solutions to threatening situations tested deus ex machina to its limits. The Pawnee were like Superman, appearing whenever and wherever needed without being summoned or planned for.

All that said, I rather liked the story.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:26

Don't get excited, Alex. I'm a lousy reviewer.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:26

D'Brassis wrote:
Proofrdr wrote:Don't get excited, Alex. I'm a lousy reviewer.

:cry: :cry: :cry: I can't get no satisfaction. :;) :rofl:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:28

#2 Comfortable Distance by Kenna White 2+stars

Genre: Romance

I so enjoyed White's Beautiful Journey that I bought this book. It did not totally live up to expectation.

Dana Robbins takes a 3-month lease on a houseboat to get away from her girlfriend and figure out what's wrong with her life and their relationship. She meets marine biologist Dr. Jamie Hughes who helps her sort through her problems.

I think what I disliked most about this book was the pacing. It took forever to develop any tension and seemed to meander around the conflict, finally bumping into it almost at the end of the book. While Dana's character was developed from the beginning, we didn't get a real feel for Jamie until more than halfway through, and the girlfriend from hell was so unidimensional, she was an ineffective villain.

Once Jamie's character began to form, the book got appreciably better. I particularly enjoyed the interaction of Jamie, as teacher, with Dana's 12-year-old niece. That was very realistic.

As lesbian romances go, it's a decent read.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:30

#3 Death by the Riverside by J. M. Redmann 5stars

Genre: Mystery

I absolutely love mysteries, have always loved them. However, I do not enjoy graphic violence, so I found my comfort niche in historical mysteries...ancient Rome, Medieval England, the Rennaisance...and in the period pieces of the 1920s and 1930s where the violence is secondary to the solution. Since I began reading lesbian fiction, I've enjoyed the mysteries of Ellen Hart and K. V. Forrest, but they are not superb. This is only the first of the Mickey Knight mysteries, but I think I have finally found a 5-star lesbian mystery author.

From the first sentence this book held my attention in a way I never expected from a mystery...with the characters. That is not to say that the plot is not compelling, because it truly is a nail-biter, but it is the unfolding of the character of Mickey Knight right along with that mystery that makes this a very special read. No one-sided, stereotypically down-and-out PI, Mickey is a complex woman and Redmann does a masterful job in revealing her. In fact, she does this to some degree with the whole supporting cast of characters--they have DEPTH.

I had bought the latest in the series and was about to read it when Sgt. Sue recommended I read them in order. I quickly found the second, third, and fourth books, but this first one eluded me for quite a while. Persistence paid off and I'm glad I followed SS's advice. This is obviously the cornerstone to Mickey's character. Although I have not yet read the rest of the series, I'm sure Redmann is competent enough to have made the subsequent books understandable as stand-alones; however, much of the nuance of Mickey's character would be impossible to recreate, so I second the recommendation to read them in order.

I'm starting #2 Deaths of Jocasta today. The mere fact that Jocasta is in the title makes me happy. :;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:30

sacchigreen wrote:
Proofrdr wrote:

I'm starting #2 Deaths of Jocasta today. The mere fact that Jocasta is in the title makes me happy. :;)

Ooh, yes, classical references are definitely turn-ons. Tempting.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:31

wildlx wrote::cool: that you are also loving it. You should have followed your fellow forumites recommendations of the JM Redmann series sooner, Proof :;).
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Mar 2010, 12:31

D'Brassis wrote:
Proofrdr wrote: I'm starting #2 Deaths of Jocasta today. The mere fact that Jocasta is in the title makes me happy. :;)

I think that Deaths of Jocasta is the best book by J.M. Redmann. I hope you enjoy it. :-)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010