Proofrdr's Attempt at 50

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Proofrdr's Attempt at 50

Postby FranW » 27 Nov 2010, 14:01

No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Nov 2010, 01:00

I found a video of the assault here. It's despicable and outrageous. He knew exactly what he was doing and no "eloquent" apology can be an honest apology from someone as boorish and arrogant as he.

Has he in any way been censured?
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 Nov 2010, 07:48

A lot of fandom was furious and excoriated him in their blogs, and even big names like Patrick Nielsen Hayden spoke out about it (eloquently; I love me some PNH feminism). But Harlan is pretty untouchable. He does apologise, but I don't think he changes his behaviour or thoughts -- in part, I'd guess, because his behaviour is widely approved by his (white, male) fans. He's a prime example of rich famous white male privilege.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Nov 2010, 10:37

Just MO, but if that video is representative of his usual behavior, then he's a disgusting human being.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby darkness » 28 Nov 2010, 12:50

Wow why wasn't he done for assault? i reckon having the perv on tape is plenty of evidence for a conviction..even the office chimp could get a conviction with that evidence.
darkness
Not much sign of life yet

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Nov 2010, 14:20

Probably Willis would be reluctant to press charges and cause herself any more discomfort. I think, though, had I been in her position, I'd have pushed him away and, loudly enough for everyone to hear, told him to keep his hands off me.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 Nov 2010, 17:21

I reckon on stage, in front of thousands of people -- most women's natural reaction is to pretend it's a joke and to not make a fuss. It's how we're conditioned.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby darkness » 28 Nov 2010, 17:25

I know men that would react that way so i see what you mean, it just feels wrong to me to let people like that get away with assaulting someone, as once you let someone do that and do nothing they are more likely to do it again and if he would do that on stage in front of thousands what has he done when it's just been him and someone alone?

man i hate perverts there is a ring of whatever hell you believe in just for them i'm hoping.
darkness

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Nov 2010, 00:14

Unfortunately, what you both say is true. When I was younger I would have capitulated to such aggression too. I like to think that I have changed in that respect.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Nov 2010, 08:47

#23 An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy 1917 - 1963 by Robert Dallek 4stars

This is a bit of a cheat on the 50 book challenge because I've been reading this book in fits and starts since Christmas 2007 when I received it as a gift. But I did just finish it, so I'm counting it.

I came of age in the Kennedy era and was deeply affected by his message--you know, the "ask not what your country can do for you" part. Here in New England, there have always been articles about JFK in the papers even long after he was assassinated, and I thought I was pretty aware of his life. Dallek, however, fills in a lot of spaces that either were not hinted at or not covered at all. For example, I think most of us knew about JFK's back problem, but we had little knowledge of his other lifelong medical problems or of the staggering regimen of drugs he was on. We also heard that he was a womanizer, but did not know some of the specifics Dallek details. He also portrays the man, not the cultivated image--now legend--that JFK became.

I usually find history books very dry and written in tediously academic jargon. This one is neither. It still took me 3 years to finish it, but that's my fault, not the author's.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010