Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Postby wildlx » 03 Nov 2010, 07:38

Yes. I like to make Baker suffer ;-).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 04 Nov 2010, 06:59

lol Indeed!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 04 Nov 2010, 10:15

lol
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 05 Nov 2010, 03:26

#52 Soiled Dove by Brenda Adcock 3stars

Blurb In 1872, sixteen-year-old Loretta Didby fled her home in Indiana to escape an abusive step-father. Rescued from the streets of St. Joseph, Missouri by brothel owner Jack Coulter, she turns to the only work available. By twenty she became a much sought after prostitute catering to St. Jo's most influential men and dreaming of the day she can leave her past behind and start her life anew. Jack is enraged when he discovers his favorite employee's plan to leave. Bloody and beaten, Loretta is rescued by a young prostitute, amelia Benson, and customer Reverend Cyrus Langford. Working with teacher, Hettie Tobias, who is traveling west for a teaching position in Trinidad, Colorado, Loretta and Amelia leave their former lives behind.

In the foothills of the Sangre de cristo Mountains outside Trinidad, Clare Mcllhenney has been struggling for years to make her father's dream of owning a cattle ranch in the west come true. working with a few ranch hands and her foreman, Ino valdez, Calre has slowly built the ranch over the last twenty years while overcoming everything that should have stopped her.

In the spring of 1876 Loretta and her friends arrive in the dusty Colorado town. Her first meeting with Clare Mcllhenney is less than inspiring. When Clare is injured, over the strenuous objections, Ino hires Loretta as a temporary cook and housekeeper for the ranch. Over the next few months, Clare struggles with her unwanted attraction to the much younger woman, unable to forget events of her past that led to the deaths of everyone she had been close to. Determined to never lose anyone else, Clare closed off her emotions and became a distant and disliked stranger to everyone around her.

Will Loretta be able to keep her past a secret and find a new life? Will Clare open herself up to loss yet again and put her own prejudices behind her? In a story of the struggles in a harsh and unforgiving time will the two women find peace at last?

I enjoyed this story, a couple areas were a little rough, but over all a pleasant read.

Hey Lieutenant??? Interested???
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 05 Nov 2010, 07:48

deej wrote:
I enjoyed this story, a couple areas were a little rough, but over all a pleasant read.

Hey Lieutenant??? Interested???

Sure ;) However, I'm thinking after that blurb there is no need for me to read the complete book lol
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating

Postby deej » 05 Nov 2010, 08:41

I'll put it in the mail this week. I hope you enjoy. :-)
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 05 Nov 2010, 08:59

deej wrote:I'll put it in the mail this week. I hope you enjoy. :-)

:beer:
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue

Previous

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010