Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 01:55

dejay wrote:I am totally plagiarizing Tanner's rating system and H2's statement regarding my reviews.

My ratings:
My scale:
1star=Utter Crap
2stars=Better but beware of many problems
2+stars=Pretty good read
3stars=very good
4stars=I'd read it again
5stars=Perfection

AoC = author of colour
CoC = main character(s) of colour
L = significant lesbian content
R= romance

In compliance with FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION 16 CFR Part 255 (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm), I hereby declare that all books read and reviewed by me on this site have been purchased by me or received as a gift from someone other than the author, publisher, or editor; that I have not been requested to write a review by the author, publisher, or editor; and that I have received no compensation in any form for posting these reviews.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 01:55

dejay wrote:#1 Renegade by Cheyne Curry On-line version 2stars

Trace Sheridan is a dirty cop who's taken on the very crime family she has been working for, methodically removing each and every one of the thugs. That is except for the oldest son, Vincent DiSienna. He ambushes her and her partner, shooting her partner and her; killing her CI, he should have remained in lock up permanently, instead he's free and out for revenge. No one connected with Trace is safe. So she goes to a friend who transports her back in time to 1879 and there she begins a new, using her 19th century street smarts to take down a cattle baron running roughshod on Rachelle, a young girl who's lost her family and her fiancee, and who has been brutally raped by the youngest son of said cattle baron.

The writing is rough, there are many, many craft errors and no editing what so ever, BUT I really enjoyed the story once we got to 1879. I found myself thoroughly engrossed with the characters, and enjoying the plot line. I recommend this one for a easy afternoon light read.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 01:57

dejay wrote:#2 When Women Were Warriors by Catherine M Wilson 2+stars

This is a fantasy that takes place in the past, it's well written and probably will appeal to most, I however found the main character to be annoying. She's a novice who has been presented to the Lady's House by her mother, the Lady's best friend. There she will pledge herself and her loyalties. There's a part II and III, I'm gong to pass on them.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 02:18

wildlx wrote:Why is everybody posting the books with only the title with no reference to the author :dunno:?
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 02:19

dejay wrote:Actually I had posted Cheyenne's name on my 1st book, but forgot to post the author of the second book, I've corrected that. Most of the women participating are doing the same thing. :oops: :oops: :oops:
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 02:19

dejay wrote:#3 Chaps by Jove Belle 4stars

Eden Metcalf is fleeing her violent and troubled past. She and her Ducati are traveling the open road, running as far and as fast as they can from her nemesis, until they breakdown in southern Idaho.

Enter Brandi Cornwell, rancher and salvation for Eden's current predicament.

This plotline was originally a short story (I believe erotic piece) of which the author extended to full length, and she did it brilliantly.

The characters are well developed, the life situations believable and most importantly the ending wrapped up the pieces nicely without a definitive tedious explanation. Happy endings can come after a life of hell. I will be reading this one again, and again. I love a good romance.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 02:21

dejay wrote:#4. A Question of Integrity, by Megan Magill: 3stars

Jess Maddock is a corporate problem solver, she delves into policies and accounting to resolve problems for her customers. When her brother comes to her for help, the recently unemployed Jess has no alternative but to comply. She uses the time for what she believes to be a non-issue to deal with her real life plight- a weight problem that she has struggled with her entire life.

The author does a fair job of creating likable and believable characters, the plot strength comes through in the eating disorder and all that goes with that. The characterization was thought provoking and emotional. Truly well done.

An enjoyable afternoon escape.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 02:21

Athena wrote:
dejay wrote:#2 When Women Were Warriors by Catherine M Wilson 2+stars
There's a part II and III, I'm gong to pass on them.

Deejay, The story isn't really complete with Maara's adoptionwith at end of Book 1 . This is just the beginning of Tamras and Maara's adventures. It really ends with book 3. So you have read only a third of the story :-(
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 02:22

dejay wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: I know, but for me neither character is important enough for me to continue. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Mar 2010, 02:22

Athena wrote:
dejay wrote:I know, but for me neither character is important enough for me to continue.

Aw really? I loved it :oops:
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010