Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Postby deej » 07 Sep 2010, 04:37

Do you want it????
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 07 Sep 2010, 05:33

deej wrote:Do you want it????

Mais bien sur... :cool:
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating
Enthusiatically participating

Postby deej » 07 Sep 2010, 12:19

#45 End of the Rope by Jacki Calhoun 2+stars

Meg Klein has two enduring loves—horses and Nicky Hennessey.

When Meg buys a house with a barn and a few acres, her plans to convert it to a profitable stable go downhill with the economy. She finds it impossible to turn away horses whose owners can no longer afford them. Her bank account, however, is no match to her huge heart.

Nicky Hennessey is having financial and personal problems of her own. Her photography business has fallen off the economic cliff. Her relationship with Beth Forrester is in deeper trouble than she knows. Spending time with Meg at the stable is much easier than going home. When Meg is thrown from her new horse, Nicky is there to get her help—but Dr. Tina Rodriguez proves to be a wild card.

Faced with losing everything she’s worked for, Meg realizes she may not be the only one at the end of the rope.

I'm not sure why but I never became engaged in this story? It's well written, no errors, good characterization, a decent plot. A nice afternoon read.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 08 Sep 2010, 08:06

Deej, have you noticed that your so-called "very slow" 50 book challenge has almost hit 50 and it's only September?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby deej » 08 Sep 2010, 08:21

:oops: :blush: :oops: I've been on a reading kick. lol
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 13 Sep 2010, 06:25

#46 House of Cards by Nat Burns 4stars

Widow Kaylen Stauder is more or less content with her non-dating status. She’s listened for decades to the hateful gossip bandied by the women of the Freshwater Magnolia Club—and she wants none of it to be about her.

Coping with domineering men all her life, she didn’t count on falling for gentle Eda Byrne. She didn’t plan for love, let alone passion, especially with another woman. She’s never believed in irresistible attraction, until now.

Past the time of life when she ever thought she’d have to make such choices, Kaylen must decide which she needs more: her community or a woman’s love.

A really well told story about life in the south, a genuine picture of small town America and a woman's expected standing there. The author brings to life narrow minded town gossips, the evil of incest and it's after effects, and does a really good job of capturing all the issues of a surprising first love with another woman. I recommend the book.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 24 Oct 2010, 11:20

#47 Omaha's Bell, by Penny Hayes 2+stars

Still reeling from the tragic deaths of her parents and brother, farmer Keeley Delaney seems condemned to a life of hardship and grief. Now totally alone, she supplements her meager income by selling vegetables to the mocking soldiers at nearby forts. Despite her aching loneliness, Keeley shuns the mean-spirited Omaha townsfolk, whose lack of compassion for her and her family has left her with only one desire -- to save enough money to escape this heartless place forever. Only one desire, that is, until she meets the town's newest addition -- beautiful Englishwoman Prudence Jane Morris....

Thank you 2nd LT Sue for this book. I enjoyed the read, though not as much as her previous books. Still a nice afternoon.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 24 Oct 2010, 11:28

#48 The Long Way Home, Rachel Spangler 3+stars

They say you can't go home again, but Raine St. James doesn't know why anyone would want to.

Rory St. James was disowned after she came out at seventeen. She rebounded by moving to Chicago, changing her name to Raine, and putting down her hometown to audiences around the country. Now, ten years later, too old to be considered a gay youth, broke, evicted, and fresh off a much needed break-up, Raine St. James is forced to accept a job teaching at Bramble University in Darlington, the town she's been publicly bashing for the last decade.

Beth Devoroux was born and raised in Darlington. Despite losing her parents at a young age, she is well loved by everyone who knows her. She leads a comfortable life with a good job at Bramble University, a long-term but closeted relationship, friends that she can count on, and everything she thinks she wants. So why is she so drawn to a rabble-rouser like Raine St. James?

Can Raine and Beth face their pasts and come to terms with their differences in order to have any hope for a future together?

I have to admit I started with book with a lot of doubts, I was more than pleasantly surprised. The story rings true in so many ways, especially for small town America. The writing is crisp with wonderful insight without long info dumps. There are a number of errors that the proofreaders should have found but seriously if you're looking for a great afternoon romantic read, this is it. This would have received 4stars if not for the errors by the proofreaders.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 24 Oct 2010, 11:36

#49 Desire by Starlight, Radclyffe 1+stars

Cassandra Hart, sprints through life from one appearance to the next, always on deadline, always in demand, always on the arm of a different beautiful woman. She has no personal life because her entire existence is public, and part of her appeal. She loves the tempo, the power, the thrill until the pace catches up to her and she collapses at a book signing. Her doctor orders rest, her editor wants a three book series yesterday, and her attorney informs her she has just inherited a farm in the backcountry of Vermont. Divine intervention or Fate's little joke? The only thing that might possibly save her from dying of boredom during a summer of forced R&R is a dalliance with Gardner Davis, the local vet. Unfortunately, everything about Jenn's high-profile lifestyle is exactly what Gard wants to leave far, far behind, that and a dark secret that hunts the new life she's made.

The blurb does not depict the facts of the story. Two shallow women, fall in lust, try to fight it and have sex. A lot of sex. The deep dark secret is a pile of crap that builds to almost the last page and then seriously is bungled badly. Do not waste your time, I'm sorry I did. Oh and lots of errors, again the proofreaders should have caught them. It wouldn't have helped though.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 24 Oct 2010, 11:44

#50 Body Language by Kenna White 2stars

Joanna Lucas is single again, but a trip to Venice to consult on a mosaic restoration will help mend her broken heart. Most of her two weeks will be to explore the beautiful Italian city with her friend Deena, but if she'd known who recommended her for the trip, she might have stayed home.

An award-winning painter, Chandler Cardin also gives private art lessons. She's the last person Joanna expects to run into so fat from Boston. Equally unexpected is the attractions that resurfaces, reminding Joanna of old times. But far too much water has flowed under those bridges.

Maybe she'd be better off taking Deena's advise, and view Venice as her chance to experience the love 'em and leave 'em life -- with anyone but Chandler.

I was disappointed in this book for many reasons. I normally love this author, but this one doesn't even come close to her usual work. The characters never drew me in, the main plot line, Joanna's job as a consultant was handled poorly and the conclusion done in a discussion instead of SHOWING us the conclusion. I invested my time to read 231 pages only to have the ending handled as an afterthought??? But yes, it's a romance.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010