Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Deej's Very Slow 50 Book Challenge

Postby Proofrdr » 24 Oct 2010, 12:59

Kudos to you, Deej. You made the 50!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 24 Oct 2010, 13:25

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 24 Oct 2010, 17:43

Congratulations for reading 50 books :cheer: :cheer:
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 24 Oct 2010, 23:42

lol Thanks Athena, I have to admit, I never thought I'd finish. I love this challenge of Tanner's.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 24 Oct 2010, 23:47

Nice job, Deej! Congrats. And what have you learned from these 50 books?
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 24 Oct 2010, 23:53

ElaineB wrote:What have you learned?

That some books really suck, while a very small percentage deliver beautifully. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 27 Oct 2010, 08:36

#51 Kathleen O'Donald by Penny Hayes 3+stars

Return with her now to chaotic New York City in 1909 -- and meet Kathleen Anne Mary O'Donald.

Filled with dreams of a golden future, Kathleen has left her native Ireland for the promise of America. But never has she dreamed of the arduous trip she will make across the Atlantic, nor of the hazards she will face passing through immigration on Ellis Island. Nor that she will be forced to befriend Rose Stewart, immigrant from the country's most hated enemy, England.

Never has she dreamed of the rough and tumble of New York City, nor of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company, where she will find employment.

Her path will once again intersect with that of Rose Stewart -- this time to result in much, much more than a forced friendship of convenience. And this time both women will find themselves engulfed in a drama that will change history.

Follow young Kathleen O'Donald along her true-to-history road to tragedy, passion, peril and ultimate triumph.

Again a big thank you to 2nd Lt Sue for sending this book my way. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and loved learning about this awful tragedy that history seems to have forgotten. Great afternoon read.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 02 Nov 2010, 06:10

#52 The Grass Widow by Nanci Little 4stars

Aidan Blackstone has nothing. A thousand miles from home, sent to the frontier by a family that doesn't want her back, her only hope for survival is distant relatives who say they'll take her in. As all familiar civilization fades into the distance, she is nineteen, unmarried and pregnant, and has no reason to think that the year 1876 won't be her last.

But she's not met at the Washburn, Kansas, train station by the Bodell family. Onle the daughter, Joselyn, is there to greet her. Adian finds herself bound by the Bodett farm, where influenza has wiped out the rest of the family, leaving young Joss in perilous financial straits and their only source of food and shelter at risk.

Joss, in her brother's clothes and severely lacking in social graces has no time to mollycoddle a pampered, pregnant New England lady. It's work or starve, literally. There are no servants, no laborers--just a failing farm, impending winter and the two of them to face it together.

Excellent read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lieutenant if you haven't read this let me know? :welcome:
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 02 Nov 2010, 08:43

deej wrote:#52 The Grass Widow by Nanci Little 4stars

Excellent read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lieutenant if you haven't read this let me know? :welcome:

I have it...good book. I also have The Last Resort and Thin Fire by the same author if you're interested?
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Nurse Jo » 02 Nov 2010, 21:42

Yes, I like Nanci Little's books too. I also seem to remember Wildlx chose Thin Fire for Baker to read as a romance challenge, a couple of years back now.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010