SSGT Sue's challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: SSGT Sue's challenge

Postby Lt Sue » 24 Oct 2010, 02:48

#46 and #47

4stars: really good; I recommend them

Under the Gun and Have Gun We'll Travel by Lori L Lake

Books 2 and 3 in the Dez Reilly and Jaylynn Savage saga. I preferred the second which follows directly on from the first book and deals with the new relationship between Dez and Jay. The third is a mystery which was not very mysterious! Good series though. Thanks LM for the loan!
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Lt Sue » 24 Oct 2010, 02:57

The Red Queen by Phillippa Gregory

4+stars : very good indeed; I'll be reading this one again

The second book in Philippa's stunning new series, The Cousins War, brings to life the story of Margaret Beaufort, a shadowy and mysterious character in the first book of the series - The White Queen - but who now takes centre stage in the bitter struggle of The War of the Roses. The Red Queen tells the story of the child-bride of Edmund Tudor, who, although widowed in her early teens, uses her determination of character and wily plotting to infiltrate the house of York under the guise of loyal friend and servant, undermine the support for Richard III and ultimately ensure that her only son, Henry Tudor, triumphs as King of England. Through collaboration with the dowager Queen Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret agrees a betrothal between Henry and Elizabeth's daughter, thereby uniting the families and resolving the Cousins War once and for all by founding of the Tudor dynasty.

An excellent book! I'll have to get the first in the series now!

BTW this was a gift from my friend Paddy who gave it to me before I left for Sandhurst with the inscription "And on the 8th day God said "Chittock, you're in charge""
Lt Sue

Postby Crisco » 24 Oct 2010, 06:30

2nd Lt Sue wrote:An excellent book! I'll have to get the first in the series now!

BTW this was a gift from my friend Paddy who gave it to me before I left for Sandhurst with the inscription "And on the 8th day God said "Chittock, you're in charge""

ah man, I was about to ask if you had the first one and if I could borrow it - it sounded pretty good in a recent review I read. ;) (Actually, the library will probably have it, I'll check.)

Re the 8th day - Paddy cracks me up! lol
Crisco

Postby Proofrdr » 24 Oct 2010, 08:36

I read a series by Phillippa Gregory about 15 years ago...Wildacre? Can't remember exactly, but the MC in the first book was a deliciously malicious woman.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Crisco » 24 Oct 2010, 21:30

Yeah, that was the first series she wrote (I've never read it). She then wrote some more historical standalones (one about the slave trade in Bristol for example) but seems to be stuck on Queens of medieval England at the moment. :)
Crisco

Postby ElaineB » 25 Oct 2010, 00:57

I like the inscription! :-)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 06 Nov 2010, 09:07

Above Temptation by Karin Kallmaker

4stars : really good; I recommend it

For Kip Barrett, a secret commission from her boss’s boss’s boss, CEO Tamara Sterling, shows that the respect she’s earned for her integrity and intelligence is justified. All she has to do is what she’s done successfully before: Follow the money, find the high-tech thief, and document it so the culprit gets the justice they deserve.This case is different, though. This time the embezzler is someone inside Sterling Proof, the financial industry’s most-trusted investigation firm. That one of their own could turn out to be a thief is bad enough, but that it wasn’t detected and dealt with immediately is even worse. The scandal would destroy Sterling Proof’s unparalleled and unblemished reputation for ethical conduct and security. Kip has to find out how and who, and no one but Tamara can know what she’s doing.As Kip gets closer to discovering the embezzler, her clandestine meetings with Tamara grow more frequent. To her consternation, her admiration for Sterling’s work is compounded by an undeniable physical chemistry. But there’s a rule about fraternization, and Sterling investigators never break the rules. She needs to wrap up her findings before anyone—including her emerging prime suspect Tamara Sterling—realizes Kip is not above temptation.

Pretty good - Kallmaker back to her best!
Lt Sue

Postby Lt Sue » 06 Nov 2010, 09:11

Ross Kemp on Afghanistan

4stars : really good; I recommend it

He has played an East End hardman, an SAS soldier and investigated vicious world gangs. Now Ross Kemp is taking on perhaps his hardest assignment of all - the Taliban. In order to prepare for this life-threatening ordeal, Ross Kemp trains with the First Battalion Royal Anglians in England’s subzero temperatures, practicing firing SA 80 rifles and .50 calibre machine guns, getting to know the soldiers and learning the tactics they use to stay alive. Sent with them to Camp Bastion in Afghanistan’s Helmand province, he immerses himself fully: he endures the stifling heat, the constant threat of snipers, RPG attacks, suicide bombers and land mines. In short, he discovers first hand what it's like to fight on the frontline. It’s the closest he’s ever come to dying – bullets fizzing inches from his head as they hit the ground on either side of him. After two harrowing and arduous months Ross returns to England, but there is little relief to be had as he meets the mothers of soldiers killed in the conflict. Then in September 2008 he goes back to the war zone, to see how the men he grew so close to are faring, to check how many of them are still alive. It’s a fascinating, horrifying and often moving insight into the brutal reality ordinary soldiers have to face in one of the world’s most dangerous and volatile regions.

Rather fitting that this should be my 50th book. Lot's of reasons why. I actually fed the author when he went back to Afghanistan in January 2009. lol
Lt Sue

Postby Athena » 06 Nov 2010, 09:56

Congratulations on finishing the challange :yahoo:
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 06 Nov 2010, 10:23

I tried to read the Ross Kemp book but it was so badly written that despite the interesting subject matter, I had to stop after a few chapters. Maybe I'll try again.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010