Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:05

D'Brassis wrote:Imperceptible DANGER by D.C. Elmore

Rating: 4.0 out of 5

Synopsis: Tristin Dobbs, a prestigious nature photographer, agrees to help her sister, Lauren, with her business. Lauren is the owner of the "Wilderness Escape" a provider of guided camping trips. Tristin agrees to go on a two-week excursion to take photographs for Lauren's next brochure. The first day of the trip she meets lawyer Danielle Eason, a fish out of water when it comes to camping. Tristin and Danielle grow closer through their daily interactions during the trip. Tristin is willing to risk her heart to have a chance with the baffling lawyer but Danielle seems to have a secret that keeps them apart and might prove to be deadly.

Comments: I really enjoyed the book. The plotline is solid and the characters are likeable even when they are frustrating. It’s a good read that is a mix of romance and a light mystery. However, if you are hoping for a mystery like PD James or Val McDermid then you’ll be disappointed.
"To sin by silence, when we should protest, makes cowards out of men."
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:05

D'Brassis wrote:The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and Jeffrey Zaslow

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Carnegie Mellon’s professors are given the chance to consider their life and death and then present their findings in a talk titled "The Last Lecture." Randy Pausch, a computer science professor, was asked to give that lecture. He did not have to ponder what it would be like as at the time he was already struggling with a terminal cancer. Randy Pausch decided to give the lecture on childhood dreams and overcoming problems.

Comments: I was looking forward to this book because all of the hype about Randy Pausch’s televised lecture. I was deeply disappointed to find the book falling short. I could not finish it. Pausch came across as a very self-centered individual who would put his needs before his family’s. It annoyed me that one of the things he was proud of was to choose to go to the university the day before the lecture to finish it despite that it was his wife’s birthday. The last birthday they would spend together and he showed the total lack of empathy for her. The following chapter was about I, me, myself, and I again with some few clichés added for good measure. I felt sorry for his wife more than anything else and there few if anything that I could get out of what I read.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:06

D'Brassis wrote:Piperton by Carrie Carr

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Sam Hendrickson is a nomad; she never stays in a place long enough to form any ties. In one of her travels her old car breaks down in the small town of Piperton, Texas. She has no money to pay for the repairs so she is desperate to find a job to raise the funds. But Sam is not just a stranger in town she is an out lesbian who does not hide who she is. Her short hair and androgynous look make her an easy target of homophobia by some of the citizens of Piperton. Others, like Janie Clarke, are not certain what to make of her. Janie is both intrigued and weary to this free and confident stranger so much unlike herself. Janie Clarke has always done what the men in her life had told her from her physically and emotionally abusive father to her father’s chosen boyfriend for her. Her boyfriend does not take lightly to the budding friendship between Sam and Janie and he is determined to put a stop to it with the encouragement of Janie’s father.

Comments: The story is well written and captivating. The characters are believable some are sources of hope while others are the boogeymen that haunt our nightmares. The novel shows clearly how in areas of the country homophobia and bigotry are daily occurrences and that we, gays, do what we need to do in order to survive.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:06

D'Brassis wrote:Family Affair by Saxon Bennett

Rating: 4.0 out of 5

Synopsis: Chase Banter, a lesbian romance novelist, just recently found out that her girlfriend, Gitana, of several years is pregnant. She is certain she had nothing to do with this unexpected news so that leaves the question: how did this happen? Finally Gitana discovers that a mix up at the doctor’s left her in this state. Chase is able to accept that fact and is ready to move on until Gitana tells her that she wants to keep the baby. After much soul searching Chase decides that she only has one choice in this situation, to become an adult, something that she has avoided all her life. She develops a plan to achieve this goal in the next 7 months before “Bud” is born. This should be an easy, shouldn’t it? But Chase might have more on her plate that she bargained for when she has to deal with her family, friends, and in-laws at the same time she wants to reach adulthood.

Comments: A very funny and enjoyable light reading. A number of scenes had me laughing out loud.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Previous

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010