Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:50

D'Brassis wrote:Okay, I'm giving this challenge a try. Hopefully I'll have enough brain cells after work to write the short reviews.

As requested by Baker:

Disclaimer: All books I'll be reviewing I have bought or borrowed or will buy or borrow. They are mine, all mine (except for those that I'll borrow).

P.S. No publisher knows me anyway to be willing to give me any books or money. :bleh:

I hope this covers the legal requirements. :-)

Addendum:

D'Brassis wrote:I just realized that I never explained my ratings. I pretty much borrowed them from HH:

1.0: dreadful, you won't be able to finish it
2.0: not worth reading
2.5: mediocre at best painful at worst
3.0: good (just above average)
3.5: pretty good (well above average); the reader will probably enjoy it
4.0: really good (outstanding); I recommend it and likely to read it again if no new books are around
4.5: very good indeed (excellent); I'll be reading this one again whenever I get a chance
5.0: the best I've read in a long time and will read it again several times
"To sin by silence, when we should protest, makes cowards out of men."
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex
Enthusiatically participating

Re: Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:51

D'Brassis wrote:Erosistible by Gill McKnight

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Benny Fiske co-owner of a luxurious boutique hotel in the Greek islands is suddenly confronted with the arrival ex-girlfriend Winifred Martin and Winifred’s new girlfriend. She is shocked to find Win looking self-assured and gorgeous and that her own feelings for ex-girlfriend have not changed. Benny is determined to prove to Win that she is wasting her time with the new girlfriend and all hell breaks loose.

Comments: The book is well written. The characters are credible and very engaging. The humor is outstanding. It’s an excellent book for those who enjoy light reading that it is just plain fun.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:51

D'Brassis wrote:McKee The Return by A. C. Henley

Rating: 4.0 out of 5

Synopsis: PI Quinlan McKee returns to LA after several years away. She becomes involved in a case involving police corruption and child slavery. During the investigation she meets Vivian Walsh, a police detective, who is not certain what to make about McKee and her unorthodox practices. As they work together to take down those behind the slavery ring evidence surfaces that could link these criminal to McKee’s tragic past.

Comments: The story and the characters are well developed. The plot for the most part is solid but it is a little shaky at certain points regarding Vivian Walsh, which is why it is a 4.0 rather than a 4.5 or a 5.0. This is a book that I’ll likely reread sometime in the future.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:52

D'Brassis wrote:Winds of Heaven by Kate Sweeney

Synopsis: An avowed bachelorette, Casey Bennet, receives news of the death of a former lover and with news she also receives her widow, Liz Kennedy, and her 3-year-old daughter, Skye. But this is not all Liz is also 5 months pregnant. Casey finds her life turned upside down but it might the best thing that has happened to her.

Comments: Kate Sweeney is an excellent writer and this book shows it. The characters and the story are well developed. One falls in love with these characters and wishes that the book wouldn’t end. The 4.0 instead of a 5 is because it felt like the book was too short and because of the unnecessary baby talk by the adult characters.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:52

D'Brassis wrote:The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore

Rating: 3.0 out of 5

Synopsis: The Christmas spirit is twisted to no end in this satirical rendition of the holidays. Seven-year-old Joshua Barker witnessed the untimely demise of Santa Claus at the hands of a very helpful town resident. He prays for Santa’s return and the wish is granted by an angel. But this is a special angel, one responsible for several of the major catastrophes in human history. The end result is a miracle that would not soon be forgotten.

Comments: The book is pretty hilarious in certain scenes but not overall. It is fairly predictable. The character that steals the whole book is Molly Michon, a former B-movie queen, who has gone off her meds and is having some difficulty distinguishing between reality and her movie characters.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:53

D'Brassis wrote:Second Nature by Jae

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Clans of shape-shifters have lived in secrecy among human since the beginning of time. Now they might be exposed by writer Jorie Price whose novel depicts these creatures and their mystery perfectly. In order to safeguard their secret and secure their survival the clans’ council sends one of their Saru, an elite soldier, to investigate Jorie Price and possible traitors. Griffin Westmore, one of their best Saru, will do anything to protect her people even if it comes down to assassinating the woman who poses that threat.

Comments: This is one of the best I’ve read about shape-shifting creatures. A few problems keep this novel from being a 4.5. Its biggest problem is that is narrated in 3rd person point of view and most every character has a POV. They give interesting insights and some do help the novel move along, but others are not needed and could be eliminated without affecting the story. A few grammatical errors and misspellings are present but they are not significant enough to detract from the story. It is a good read that I think most readers of paranormal novels would enjoy.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:53

D'Brassis wrote:The Scorpion by Gerri Hill

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Reporter Marty Edwards is investigating the cold case of a young man that was supposedly killed by gang because of drugs. She is not welcome by the police department and the original investigators of the case. Detective Kristen Bailey, an outsider within the department, is assigned to accompany Marty and report back what the reported is doing. The detective and reporter join forces to try to find the truth.

Comments: First, I would like for people who use another language as part of their story to actually get someone who speaks and writes well to proofread their work. I cringed every time that that I read the Spanish comments. The plot seems good but predictable and the characters are never fully developed. I found myself feeling no connection to the characters. They were uninteresting. This is a disappointment because I’ve always enjoyed her work.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:54

D'Brassis wrote:Ambereye by Gill McKnight

Synopsis: Jolie Garoul is the dragon lady of Ambereye, Inc., hard to get along with, moody, and workaholic. Hope Glassy has come back from a prolonged sick leave. Instead of being reassigned as PA to her previous boss she is assigned to Jolie Garoul. Hope does her best to deal with the temperamental woman, including accompanying Jolie to family meeting during Thanksgiving. A misunderstanding leads the family to believe that Hope and Jolie are more than co-workers. Hope has to decide what she wants to do about the rumors and about her strange boss.

Comments: Excellent read. It is light and fun. The characters are well developed and enjoyable even though the plot is predictable.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

HH wrote:
D'Brassis wrote: First, I would like for people who use another language as part of their story to actually get someone who speaks and writes well to proofread their work.

::cringe:: I'll remember that!
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

wildlx wrote:
HH wrote:
D'Brassis wrote: First, I would like for people who use another language as part of their story to actually get someone who speaks and writes well to proofread their work.

::cringe:: I'll remember that!

You should :-). Sometimes it is really painful !
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010