Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:55

la_gringa89 wrote:
D'Brassis wrote:First, I would like for people who use another language as part of their story to actually get someone who speaks and writes well to proofread their work. I cringed every time that that I read the Spanish comments.

Question: What happens if the author has it proofed by someone who speaks/reads/writes Mexican Spanish and the end-reader speaks/reads/writes Spanish Spanish (from Spain)?

Would that still be difficult to read or would it simply be minor adjustments? Sometimes English can be completely foreign to me, depending upon the origin.
"To sin by silence, when we should protest, makes cowards out of men."
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:55

D'Brassis wrote:
la_gringa89 wrote:
D'Brassis wrote:First, I would like for people who use another language as part of their story to actually get someone who speaks and writes well to proofread their work. I cringed every time that that I read the Spanish comments.

Question: What happens if the author has it proofed by someone who speaks/reads/writes Mexican Spanish and the end-reader speaks/reads/writes Spanish Spanish (from Spain)?

Would that still be difficult to read or would it simply be minor adjustments? Sometimes English can be completely foreign to me, depending upon the origin.

It doesn't matter whether a person from Mexican or Spanish background proofreads the novel, as Spanish is a language in which the grammatical rules are very strict and the exceptions are few and very clear. If the person knows the grammar the results would be the same for each proofreader. The only difference would be in the slang of each country and that doesn't necessarily has to do anything with the grammar.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:56

wildlx wrote:Yup. What D'Brassis said :-)!
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:57

HH wrote:From what I'm told, Quebec-French and Paris-French work that way too: same rules and grammar and spelling, but very different slang. (Quebecois will translate American slang and idioms like "Let me know" directly into French, which leaves other French speakers boggled.)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:57

D'Brassis wrote:Possessing Morgan by Erica Lawson

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Andrea Worthington has moved from Charleston, North Carolina, to New York to take a position as a new Assistant District Attorney. Her introduction to precinct goes less than stellar. She clashes with recalcitrant Detective Morgan O'Callaghan. The women come to a shaky understanding just before they are thrown into a murder investigation. This case soon turns lethal and the women have to fight for their lives.

Comments: This is the first book from this author. The plot/story was very good but the author got stuck on telling rather than showing so the complexity of the story is left at the surface. The reader is not able to take the journey with the characters as deeply as the reader could. She also needs better proofreaders/editors to catch grammar and word mistakes, such as think instead of thick. If these issues had been taken care of the book would rate a 4.0 or better easily. It still is a good read.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:58

D'Brassis wrote:Grave Secret (Harper Connelly Mysteries, Book 4) by Charlaine Harris

Rating: 4.0 out of 5

Synopsis: Harper Connelly is a young woman that after being hit by lightning develops an ability to locate dead bodies by following a sound that gets louder the closer she gets to them. Once she finds the body she is able to “read” the cause of death by “reliving” the last moments of life. She has been traveling with her stepbrother now turn boyfriend for various years making a name for herself. But still one unsolved mystery haunts her, the disappearance of her oldest sister. During a typical reading for the powerful Joyce family her life becomes unhinged by murders and secrets.

Comments: The book could be better if she had kept the emphasis on the paranormal aspect of the story than focusing on the romance between the main characters. Still, Charlaine Harris is a great novelist and her characters deep and engaging and the plot is well developed.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:59

D'Brassis wrote:I just realized that I never explained my ratings. I pretty much borrowed them from HH:

1.0: dreadful, you won't be able to finish it
2.0: not worth reading
2.5: mediocre at best painful at worst
3.0: good (just above average)
3.5: pretty good (well above average); the reader will probably enjoy it
4.0: really good (outstanding); I recommend it and likely to read it again if no new books are around
4.5: very good indeed (excellent); I'll be reading this one again whenever I get a chance
5.0: the best I've read in a long time and will read it again several times
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 10:59

D'Brassis wrote:Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Thirty years has passed since a group of citizens of Pine Deep, PA, lynched the Blues Man believing him to be the Reaper, a serial killer. After this death the town has enjoyed peace while also attaining the name of "The Spookiest Town in America." Now Pine Deep is gearing up to celebrate their main holiday, Halloween. The appearance of three dangerous fugitives heralds the reemergence of the evil that has remained dormant for 30 years.

Comments: Ghost Road Blues is an exciting read. The story captures you from the first chapter and doesn’t let go until the last chapter. The characters are well developed and engaging. The sense of dread and horror carry you through a solid plot. This is the first book of a trilogy.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:00

D'Brassis wrote:Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry

Synopsis: In the sequel to Ghost Road Blues the citizens of Pine Deep, PA, continue to struggle with the evil growing within their mists.

Comments: Jonathan Maberry continues to weave a captivating story of terror and the complexity of humanity.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:00

D'Brassis wrote:Bad Moon Rising by Jonathan Maberry

Synopsis: Evil from the past and present have joined forces and they roam free in "America's Haunted Holidayland." The citizens of Pine Deep fight for their survival. Val, Crow, and Iron Mike must tip the scales if they are to save their town.

Comments: The author has used his vast knowledge of vampire and werewolf folkore to create a horror filled tale. This provides a great ending to an exceptional Pine Deep trilogy. Jonahthan Maberry is a multiple winner of the Bram Stoker Award.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010