Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Alex's 50 Books (2010)

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:01

Athena wrote:I've never heard of Jonathan Maberry but I'm going to put these books on my list to order. Your description sounds quite interesting :-)
"To sin by silence, when we should protest, makes cowards out of men."
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex
Enthusiatically participating

gill wrote:Me too. the best bit about this challenge is finding out about some great books. you can't beat word of mouth.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

D'Brassis wrote:I hope you like them. :-)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:02

D'Brassis wrote:Backwards to Oregon by Jae

Rating: 4.0 out of 5

Synopsis: Welcome to the Oregon Trail in 1851. Thousands of immigrants travel from Independence, MO, to the west with promises of land and a new life. The Trail is dangerous as it is long. Luke Hamilton, who had chosen to live her life disguised as a man, recently resigned her commission as a Lieutenant in the US Cavalry. She is going to take on the Oregon Trail with hopes of a new life. Nora “Fleur” Macauley a young woman working in the town’s brothel has no hope. But random event brings Nora into Luke’s path. A split second decision and a marriage proposal leave Luke and Nora with their lives forever intertwined on the Oregon Trail.

Comments: Excellent read like Jae’s other books: “Second Nature,” “Conflict of Interests,” and “Next of Kin.” She has again demonstrated her skills as a writer through this well researched novel. What amazes me more about this author is that Jae’s first language is German and she taught herself English through online classes and reading fanfic stories so she could finally write her stories in English. I thank the power that may be that she learned English and that I get to enjoy her stories.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:02

D'Brassis wrote:Conflict of Interest by Jae

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Detective Aiden Carlisle and her colleagues are required to attend training on dealing with LGBT survivors of rape and sexual abuse. Their initial hesitancy is dissipated when the lecturer, psychologist Dawn Kinsley, walks on stage. Her knowledge and charisma enthralls each detective especially Aiden. After a misunderstanding Aiden decides to keep her distance from Dr. Kinsley. A sex crime brings them back together and they find themselves struggling with a conflict of interest.

Comments: I think this was the first English book of this author. Some of the chapters seem to drag and the plot wanders which is why I did not give the book a 4.0. However, it is a good read.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:03

D'Brassis wrote:Angel Food and Devil Dogs by Liz Bradbury

Rating: 3.0 out of 5

Synopsis: Maggie Gale, a private investigator, is hired by the president of Irving College to investigate the apparent suicide of one of their professors. The music professor was blind and was openly gay. He fell from a sixth floor balcony after a period of bizarre behavior. A suicide note puts the precipitating factor at the feet of the college’s tenure committee. But there are many inconsistencies in the evidence, which opens the possibility of a murder. As Maggie starts the investigation her attention is captured by one of the suspects, Dr. Kathryn Anthony. An unexpected event leads Maggie to believe that other professors might be in danger as well.

Comments: The book would have been better if it had been edited better. The number of wrong words (i.e. and vs. an, etc.) throughout the book were distracting and took away from the flow of the story. As a mystery, it was interesting but predictable (at least to me). However, the story and its characters are pretty good so overall, they make the novel enjoyable. I also liked that when two female characters got sexually involved they practiced safe sex, a rare occurrence in any lesbian romance.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

HH wrote:
D'Brassis wrote: The book would have been better if it had been edited better. The number of wrong words (i.e. and vs. an, etc.) throughout the book were distracting and took away from the flow of the story.

This is probably because the book was published by Boudica Publishing, which AFAIK is a vanity press that does not offer any kind of professional editing services.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

D'Brassis wrote:
HH wrote:
D'Brassis wrote: The book would have been better if it had been edited better. The number of wrong words (i.e. and vs. an, etc.) throughout the book were distracting and took away from the flow of the story.

This is probably because the book was published by Boudica Publishing, which AFAIK is a vanity press that does not offer any kind of professional editing services.

That makes sense. I think that if the author had submitted her novel to commercial publisher it would have been accepted. That would've made it an outstanding story.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:04

D'Brassis wrote:Three Plums In One: One for the Money, Two for the Dough, Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Synopsis: Stephanie Plum lost her job as a discount lingerie buyer, her Miata was repossessed, and had only a beer and condiments left in her refrigerator. Desperate she turned to her cousin Vinnie. He had bail-bond business and a bail-bond recovery job worth $10,000. However, he did not want to give Stephanie the job, only through blackmail he finally agreed to give her a chance. She has no experience as a bounty hunter, no gun, and no license, but desperation is a great motivator. She set out after Joe Morelli the guy that charmed her pants off years before and now is an ex-cop on the run. She would have to track him down and to do that she first had to solve the several mysteries that get in the way. This is just the beginning as the book has 2 other Stephanie Plum stories.

Comments: Stephanie Plum is just fun and the storylines are both serious and hilarious at the same time. This is one of those books that are hard to put down.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

Postby Alex » 26 Mar 2010, 11:04

D'Brassis wrote:Next of Kin by Jae

Rating: 4.0 out of 5

Synopsis: This is the sequel to “Conflict of Interest”. Detective Aiden Carlisle and Dr. Dawn Kinsley’s new romantic relationship is threatened by the possibility of one of Dawn’s client being involved in a sex crime. Deputy District Attorney Kade Matheson gets involved in this case which create new dynamics between these complex women. The breaking point comes when Sergeant Del Vasquez, Dawn’s aunt, is suspected of stalking Kade Matheson.

Comments: I think this novel is better than the first book. The author continued to develop characters that are engaging and likable and the storyline is good.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Alex

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010