gill -50 books - never gonna happen

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: gill -50 books - never gonna happen

Postby Athena » 26 Apr 2010, 03:53

gill wrote:gimmie the address of someone you hate and I will send it to them anonymously. :whistle:

lol lol lol
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 26 Apr 2010, 05:12

gill wrote:The Harrowing by Robert Dinsdale (Faber&Faber)

But I’m done with the book now. Any one wants it I’ll post it on.

Gill, both Sue and I would like to read this. If you've not already dispatched it we'd be interested :)
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby gill » 26 Apr 2010, 06:25

It's on it's way.
And if you're extra lucky 'Wicked Deeds' might be in there too, as a special promotion!
BOGOF, I hear you say. LOL
gill
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Lt Sue » 26 Apr 2010, 06:31

gill wrote:And if you're extra lucky 'Wicked Deeds' might be in there too, as a special promotion!

I'll probably like it... :no:
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Nurse Jo » 26 Apr 2010, 06:50

Thank you gill :)
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 26 Apr 2010, 07:33

gill wrote:It’s dysentery wrapped in a tree

rofl

Deej :tanner:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby grewgirl » 26 Apr 2010, 11:27

gill wrote:It’s dysentery wrapped in a tree

rofl
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby gill » 29 May 2010, 10:23

9- Never say Never by Linda Hill (Bella)

A Naiad classic – and I have a soft spot for those. This was a simple read. It sailed along with little angst or drama, and I really expected a lot of that from the back blurb. I also had trouble engaging with the MC. In fact, I found Leslie a bit of a whiner, but that’s the trouble with 1st person pov, if the MC doesn’t engage the reader almost immediately it’s an uphill struggle for the rest of the book. Still, I liked checking out Hill’s style, which is effortless and light.

10 – Plan Now, Retire happy by Alvin Hall (Hodder)

I wish I’d read this book when I was three and three quarters, I might have had enough dosh stashed away by now to not have to live in a gutter in my old age. This book would frighten the bejesus out of you! Buy it for someone this hallowe’en. By puchasing this book all I did was make sure Mr Hall has a nice, well-heeled retirement. A monument to the bloody obvious.

11 -The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (Canongate)

Really enjoyed this. Well written and intelligent. Two soul mates meet after 700 years. He’s in a burns unit, horribly maimed. She’s a schizophrenic mason. She tells him their history over the ages. It’s not as soppy as it sounds. There’s no kissing (he has no lips) and no sex (penis burned off).
Only real problem was the 1st person pov again. He’s self loathing, bitter, morphine addicted, and sarcastic. Not the best vehicle to carry the reader into a love story (such as it is). But it’s a strong storyline that stretches back into medieval Germany, the Bequines, and Dante’s Inferno. Worth a look, I'm not doing it justice here.
gill
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby gill » 03 Jan 2011, 05:54

I was rubbish - but then I was busy, too...and forgetful. :-| I read loads more but forgot to post. Not that I was anywhere near 50.
Anyhoo - I ended the year with a few more discoveries as far as 'fav' new writers go (well, new to me).
Here are my highlights...

John Ajvide Linqvist, ‘Let the Right One In’. I’ve since bought his latest (The Harbour) for my to read pile. Love his style; he has great insight into young ppl and their social and familial problems. He intertwines this with the underlying horror story and the parallels he pulls out are interesting and seamless.

Karen Maitland – I love her medieval mysteries, very good storytelling. I think she is an overlooked writer. Pity.

Lots of Terry Pratchett – esp, his Tiffany Aching books (junior witch series).He's not new to me but this series is.

Martin Miller – The Lonely Werewolf Girl, a nice twist on the urban wolfies theme but shocking editing. Ground my teeth but bought the 2nd one ‘Curse of the Werewolf Girl’. Will get around to it at some point when I’m not feeling too pernickity. His stories pull you into his world. Exactly what fantasy is all about, I suppose. Unfortunately the editing pulls you right back out again.

Gail Carriger – The Parasol Protectorate, a trilogy - Souless, Blameless, and Changeless. (I still have the last two to read so maybe they’ll go into 2011 challenge eventually). Again slight editing issues were annoying, but this was a fun story with an interesting heroine, and for me that’s what its all about. This is a mash up genre, a bit of historical romance, a bit of the paranormal, and a bit of thriller/ mystery. Thoroughly frivolous and entertaining.
Happy New Year all. :yahoo:
gill
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Proofrdr » 03 Jan 2011, 06:42

Happy New Year, Gill.
Thank you for reminding me about Karen Maitland. I read her Company of Liars when it first came out...kind of an amalgam of Boccaccio, Chaucer, and Agatha Christie. I see she's written more. I love medieval mysteries!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010