sbarret thinks she can read (50book challenge)

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

12- Final Five

Postby sbarret » 18 May 2010, 04:11

#12 - Final Five (Graphic Novel - Battlestar Galactica universe)

3stars - okay

Continuing my trend of blatantly raising my book count by stuffing it full of quick reads, today's gem is the Final Five graphic novel compilation in the Battlestar Galactica universe. This story bounces around a bit in time, covering the story of the final five cylons - where they came from, how they got back to the 12 colonies etc. The story was a bit jarring in how it hopped from the 12 colonies to Kobol to Earth and back again etc. But it had an interesting spin on Tigh, Ellen, Pythia, and Starbuck. None of it is likely cannon, but it was more enjoyable than 10 or so episodes of Caprica have been...
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Re: sbarret thinks she can read (50book challenge)

Postby sbarret » 18 May 2010, 04:16

#13 FLAG IN EXILE - by David Weber

4stars - enjoyable read

This is a continuation of the Honor Harrington series - a naval officer who gets the crap kicked out of her every time but comes out a winner in the end. This book was far FAR better than the prior book in the series, which had almost nothing to do with actual space-based naval battles and more to do with gratuitous angst. This book redeemed the series for me and I will continue to read on.

For those who haven't read any Honor Harrington books - She's tall, strong, 'ahem' - honorable :-) and usually surrounded by people who love her or hate her. It's the haters that move the plot along and make it all a worthwhile read. But if you don't like military SF (and in particular, naval battles) this series would bore you to tears.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

#14 Fire Logic by Laurie Marks

Postby sbarret » 14 Jul 2010, 04:22

yeah I'm waaay behind...

#14 FIRE LOGIG by Laurie Marks

4stars - enjoyable read (and lesbian content!)

This is the first of her elemental series. I reread it in preparation to read the rest of the books in this series and liked it even more the 2nd time around. I missed some of the nuances the first time. This story brings together people from four different cultures during a time in Shaftal when the ruling family and government has been killed and the country slips into guerrilla war with the invading Sainnites. The story has lots of political/emotional intrigue and plot twists, a tiny bit of magic, and a tiny bit of lesbian fun ;-) All in all, a good read.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

#15 - Domain by Steve Alten

Postby sbarret » 16 Jul 2010, 12:56

#15 - Domain

2stars - crappy

SF from TOR - your run-o-the-mill 2012 Maya end o the world tale. Luckily this gem only cost me 50 cents at a library sale. The only thing I can say about this book is that I learned TOR doesn't give a rat's backside about characterization. The lead male character is okay but predictable. The lead female is a damsel drowning in her own stupidity, and everyone else is a cardboard cutout.

The only thing the story did have was a lot of detail about mayan 'prophesy' and military weapons. ...that I eventually started skipping cuz even that got boring. I did manage to read to the end tho...so got my 50-cent worth I guess.

Now I have to find something worth reading that'll wash this tripe out of my head...
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Re: #15 - Domain by Steve Alten

Postby ElaineB » 17 Jul 2010, 01:13

sbarret wrote:The lead female is a damsel drowning in her own stupidity

lol
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: #15 - Domain by Steve Alten

Postby sbarret » 17 Jul 2010, 06:32

ElaineB wrote:
sbarret wrote:The lead female is a damsel drowning in her own stupidity

lol

honestly. you just wanted to b*tchslap her.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

#16 and up

Postby sbarret » 02 Sep 2010, 04:38

Sooo slow at this:'

#16 - Earth Logic (Laurie Marks)
4stars - recommended read!

This continues her Fire Logic story with Karis and Tanja (sp). It remains an interesting world where two cultures collide and a handful of people are in the middle of it all. Karis is by far my favorate character in ages, and I don't think the author EVER presents the story from her POV so that's a neat trick!

#17 - Timeline (Michael Crighton)
3stars - okay read

This is a time-travel tale, where archaeologists end up back in the 100 Years War in France. It's a fairly typical Crighton novel (run, scream, face iminent death-and-yet-live) etc. Still, entertaining enuf.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Baker » 02 Sep 2010, 06:42

Maybe you ought to try a few graphic novels to bulk out your numbers? ;)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby sbarret » 04 Sep 2010, 07:42

heh... yeah time to switch to them and bump the numbers up! I think I finished a couple of archaeo books I could pad things out w/ too.

So on the Laurie Marks books - had an epiphany about them the other day on why I enjoy the characterization so much. There's plenty of romantic angst (so to speak) but it's not of the stoopid "you she can't possibly love me so I'll just ignore all the signs" type. It's the larger-than-life plot that drives the angst, and the characters make good decisions (the kind you can see yourself making in the heroic sense, vs the kind an emo teenager would make).

Not to dis emo teenagers... some of my best friends are... lol
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby ElaineB » 05 Sep 2010, 02:03

sbarret wrote:heh...not of the stoopid "you she can't possibly love me so I'll just ignore all the signs" type.

I'm reading one now that has that. Not denial so much as just really stooopidly misreading situations and knee-jerking a bad reaction. Sigh. I'll add Laurie Marks to my list.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010