Selkie's 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Selkie's 50 Book Challenge

Postby Selkie » 11 Apr 2010, 16:23

Another one "borrowing" HH's declaration: In compliance with FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION 16 CFR Part 255 (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm), I hereby declare that all books read and reviewed by me on this site have been purchased by me or received as a gift from someone other than the author, publisher, or editor; that I have not been requested to write a review by the author, publisher, or editor; and that I have received no compensation in any form for posting these reviews.

And also taking HH's ratings because I'm too lazy to do up my own... :sweat:
1star: utter crap
2stars: not worth reading
3stars: okay but nothing out of the ordinary
3+stars: pretty good; you will probably enjoy it
4stars: really good; I recommend it
4+stars : very good indeed; I'll be reading this one again
5stars: the best I've read in a long time
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions

Re: Selkie's 50 Book Challenge

Postby Selkie » 11 Apr 2010, 16:26

#1. Arusha by J.E. Knowles
An interesting look at a family in the late-1980s, early 1990s. Twenty years ago, having decided to get married only because they wanted to have children, Joe and Edith Rignaldi face the unravelling of their family as long-hidden desires begin to surface. The book follows each member of the family (Joe, Edith, their teenaged son and their teenaged daughter) as they work through these turbulent times and learn about themselves in the process. 4stars

#2. Course of Action by Gun Brooke
A romance between two women - an actress bent on playing the main character in the film adaptation of a popular book, and the publisher who holds the film and casting rights. Though the idea had much potential for a good romance, I found the plot to be disjointed and the novel was littered with far too many metaphors, most of them just really bad, which heavily interfered with my enjoyment of it. 2stars

#3. Thirteen Hours by Meghan O'Brien
Lonely workaholic Dana Watts is surprised in her office on the eve of her 28th birthday by veterinary-student-by-day, stripper-by-night Laurel Stanley. It's animosity at first sight for the two, but a twist of fate which leaves them stuck together in an elevator for 13 hours results in changing feelings and possibly the potential for something special. Billed as an erotic romance, it is exactly that - light on the plot, heavy on the sex (with a bit of kink thrown in for good measure), it's a pretty enjoyable light read. 3+stars
Selkie

Postby Baker » 12 Apr 2010, 07:31

:high5: Good to see you around again, Selkie.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Selkie » 12 Apr 2010, 15:52

Thanks. :curtsey: I'm glad to be back!
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 13 Jun 2010, 16:33

Look! Look! It's an update! I actually read a book! :sweat: (In my defense, I did start it way back in January... :whistle:)

#4. Renegade by Cheyne Curry
Dirty cop who is running for her life travels back to 1879. Falls in love, decides to fight for the good guy. Yadda yadda yadda. 2stars
Selkie

Postby Baker » 14 Jun 2010, 07:28

OMG! Selkie, I hate to break this to you, but I suspect you may not make 50 books at this rate. Although, full marks for perseverence in finishing that one. ;)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Selkie » 16 Jun 2010, 02:22

Baker wrote:OMG! Selkie, I hate to break this to you, but I suspect you may not make 50 books at this rate.

Chances are, probably not. But I'm still going to try!

Baker wrote:Although, full marks for perseverence in finishing that one. ;)

:lol: As much as I didn't enjoy the book, it was still kind of an interesting read in that it illustrated just how much my reading tastes have changed over the last few years. Three years ago, I would have absolutely loved the book. Now, not so much.
Selkie

Postby deej » 16 Jun 2010, 02:41

See Selkie, the Baker's have ruined reading for you as well. rofl rofl rofl You have my complete sympathy.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 16 Jun 2010, 08:58

I think you just move on after the initial excitement at finding a whole new world of lesbian books. We were just the same Selkie.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 17 Jun 2010, 01:59

Well, I'm now reading Lilac Mines (recommended by several here), and quite enjoying it. That will make three in a row, so I'm happy to say that I'm discovering a whole new source of quality lesbian fiction. :-)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010