Selkie's 50 Book Challenge

Members try to read 50 books in 2010. Anyone can participate. Keep track of your progress with your own thread.

Moderators: Baker, ElaineB

Re: Selkie's 50 Book Challenge

Postby Nurse Jo » 17 Jun 2010, 09:00

:cool: about Lilac Mines, and J M Redmann's books. Definitely all enjoyable reads. Wildlx sent me the Mickey Knight series when Sue was in Afghanistan and I started reading and couldn't stop until I'd finished, well,pretty much lol . I'm so pleased you've enjoyed them.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Selkie » 17 Jun 2010, 13:59

I think my change in reading taste is due to a little bit of both - lesbian fiction is certainly less new to me now, but since joining the forum I've also been reading more books that are not quite my 'usual', which has definitely changed my definition of 'passable'.

And as with you, Elaine, I've definitely found a great source of quality fiction here!
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby Selkie » 18 Jun 2010, 07:25

#5. Beggar of Love by Lee Lynch
Jefferson is the lover every woman wants to be -- or to have. Magentically attractive, athletic, alcoholic, Jefferson is an anchorless innocent wandering through a world of women who can resist her no more than she can resist them. Never lacking a lover, Jefferson knows little of love; brought up on the right side of the tracks, she's drawn to the wild side. Every lesbian has know Jefferson -- or is Jefferson. (I do believe many of us knew that already, considering this was a challenge.)

Not my usual type of book, but interesting none-the-less. There were the occassional small pangs of sympathy, but I didn't really connect with Jefferson until around page 200, which definitely detracted from my enjoyment of the book. 3+stars
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 20 Jun 2010, 09:03

#6. The Walls of Westernfort by Jane Fletcher
All Natasha Ionadis wants is to serve the Goddess, and she volunteers eagerly for a near-impossible mssion to infiltrate a rband of renegade warriors and imprinters. One of three temple guards sent to infiltrate Westerfort and assassinate the rebel leaders, Natasha accepts that she will likely die in the process.

But, once away from the temple, the issues are no longer so simple, and she must revaluate her allegiances and her beliefs. Living undercover alongside the women she has sworn to kill, Natasha discovers friendship and, wit one woman in particular, something far more.

Is it already too late to discover what she really wants from life?
---------------------------

Part of the Celaeno Series. A fantasy/romance set in a world with no men, I found the book to be a fun read, easily understood, with interesting and likeable characters. Not my favourite book by this author, but still thoroughly enjoyable. 4stars

#7. Annie On My Mind by Nancy Garden
Liza never knew that falling love could be so wonderful... and so confusing.

"Liza," Mom sad, looking into my eyes. "I want you to tell me the truth, not because I want to pry, but because I have to know. This could get very unpleasant... Now--have you and Annie--done any more than the usual experimenting..."

"No, Mom," I said, trying to look back at her calmly. I'm not proud of it, I make no excuses--I lied to her.

Presumably set in the early 1980s (given the publication date and attitudes within the book), I found it to be a compelling read. Two teenagers meeting and falling in love, navigating the minefield of prevailingly negative attitudes while trying to be true to themselves and each other. The mood of the book is predominately bittersweet, but not depressing. 4stars
Last edited by Selkie on 03 Jul 2010, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Selkie

Postby Nurse Jo » 20 Jun 2010, 19:17

Oh I LOVED Annie on my Mind.. A poignant book.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Selkie » 03 Jul 2010, 03:44

#8. The Temple at Landfall by Jane Fletcher
In a world without men, imprinter Lynn has a vital gift - the ability to link strands of DNA to create new life. Owned by the Temple, protected and effectively held prisoner there, she leads a life of quiet despair, shut away forever from her family and the world outside.

Then into her life comes Kim; tough, worldly and courageous, part of a squadron of rangers assigned to protect her on the journey throughmountains to Landfall, the holiest of the Temple sites. Kim is quickly drawn to the lonely young imprinter. But as the two women grow closer, they know they are putting themselves in grave danger. For in a world where the Church rules the State, there are people who will stop at nothing to make sure that Lynn can never escape.

Part of the Celaeno Series. A fantasy/romance set in a world with no men, I found the book to be a very similar read to Walls of Westernfort. Original in its own way, however. Very enjoyable. 3+stars

#9. Shadow of the Knife by Jane Fletcher
As she approaches her eighteenth birthday, Militia Rookie Ellen Mittal is well aware that the world cannot be reduced to simple questions of black and white, but she has no idea of just how complex and dangerous her life is about to become. The most vicious gang in the Homelands, led by the infamous Butcher, are extending their operations to Roadsend.

By her oath as a member of the Militia, Ellen is sworn to uphold the rule of law, no matter what the cost to herself, but as the body-count starts to rise, Ellen finds demands being made of her, beyond anything that she had envisaged when she signed up. Her task is made all the harder by a wall of silence from ordinary citizens, a commanding officer with her head in the sand, and the attentions of an attractive young farmer who is probably not who she claims to be.

How can Ellen work out who to trust or rely on? Yet if she gets it wrong she might easily lose her life, or her heart.

Part of the Celaeno Series. A fantasy/romance set in a world with no men.

I found this book had a very different tone from the others in this series. I would have liked to have seen more development in the romance, however not at the sacrifice of the rest of the plot. The only reason I hesitate to call it my favourite of the Celaeno Series is because it left me feeling vaguely unsettled (for reasons I'm not sure how to expand on without going into spoilers). 4stars
Selkie

Postby Selkie » 03 Aug 2010, 15:11

#10. I'll Be Leaving You Always by Sandra Scoppettone
Outside of Lauren's relationship with her lover, Kip, Megan is her oldest and dearest friend. But when Megan is held up in her Greenwich Village jewelery store and then killed hours later, Lauren soon discovers how little she knew of Megan's life.

Hired by one of Megan's many ex-husbands to investigate, Lauren takes a microscope to a life she thought she knew intimately and finds a secret world of deception and danger. As Lauren moves closer to the solution to Megan's murder, she uncovers some unpleasant truths about herself--and realizes how much she needs a little help from her friends...

An intriguing work of detective fiction. I really enjoyed the book, and will be reading more of Sandra Scoppettone's Lauren Laurano mysteries. 4+stars

#11. Heartsong by Lynn Ames
After three years spent mourning the death of her partner in a tragic climbing accident, Danica Warren has re-emerged in the public eye. With a best-selling memoir, a blockbuster movie about her heroic efforts to save three other climbers, and a successful career on the motivational speaking circuit, Danica has convinced herself that her life can be full without love.

When Chase Crosley walks into Danica's field of vision, everything changes. Danica is suddenly face with questions she's never pondered.

Is there really one love that transcends all concepts of space and time? One great love that joins two hearts so that they beat as one? One moment of recognition when twin flames join and burn together?

Will Danica and Chase be able to vercome the barriers standing between them and find forever? And can that love be sustained, even in the face of cruel circumstances and fate?

An easy read, but well-written and enjoyable with strong, likeable characters. 4+stars

#12. Wolfsbane Winter by Jane Fletcher
The Iron Wolf mercenaries who guard travelers on the Misery Trail are notorious for their quick and casual sex lives.

Deryn may fit the stereotype better than most, but she has her reasons. A childhood tragedy has left her wary of forming attachments. If you don't care, then you can't get hurt, but you can still make a mess of things -- such as the error of judgment that leaves her with no money, forced to spend the winter on a lousy job in a miserable little backwater.

There she meets Alana, local healer, vet, and woman of mystery. It does not take Deryn long to find out that alan is more than she seems, and has her own perilous secret to keep. Yet Deryn still finds herself falling for the woman, so much so that her come-and-go lifestyle is at risk.

This would be bad enough, but serious trouble arrives for Deryn and Alana in the form of demon magic from the Time of Chaos -- revealing that old legends are not merely material for ghost stories around the fire. As the danger increases, who do they need to fear more, the living or the dead?

A refreshing change from the Calaeno series, where I found themes started repeating themselves (I do recommend them, I just don't recommend reading them one after another). I really connected with the main characters and was sad to see the book end. Thoroughly enjoyable. 4+stars

#13. Hotel Liaison by JLee Meyer
Two women searching through a secret past discover that their brief hotel liaison is only the beginning.

Laurel Hoffman, an associate professor of women's studies in Berkeley, struggles to stay on track for tenure while caught up in the last throes of a crumbling relationship with a senior colleague. When she hears of a hotel being renovated and a secret room full of papers about women who once stayed there, she knows she has a potential career-saving article. Stefanie Beresford, the hotel owner, is not exactly receptive when Laurel approaches her about researching the hotel's history, but that doesn't stop her from flirting with the alluring academic. She doesn't need the distraction, but for the first time in her life she wants to take a chance on more than a fleeting encounter.

While Laurel can't deny her powerful feelings for Stefanie, she fears she's risking her heart as well as her future if she acts on her desires. But can a simple encounter between two rational adults really be all that dangerous?

I enjoyed the characters in this book and was intrigued by the plot. I felt some of the explanations for character behavior were a bit weak/poorly written, but overall the writing was nothing to complain to about. While I liked most all of the characters, I felt there were too many for them to be fleshed out as well as I would like (though I do think Meyer did a respectable job given the length of the book). A nice, light read. 4stars

#14. Traffic Stop by Tara Wentz
Sergeant Ryan Thomas thinks a traffic stop is nothing more than a mundane routine that fills her isolated life. In truth this particular traffic stop is actually a moment in time that will change the course of her life.

Dr. Tobi Drexler, comfortable in her stable life as a radiologist, suddenly finds her life about to take a different road which ultimately will lead both women into an adventure that will test them as never before.

Amidst the beginnings of their new relationship, there is a malevolent force that is determined at all costs to exact revenge. He has an agenda, and one of them will pay, and pay dearly.

From beginning to end, you will meet a myriad of unforgettable people; people whose lives mingle and intersect. Will one of them be responsible for the turmoil and danger surrounding Ryan and Tobi? Will they find the answer before it's too late?

Behind this drama and suspense is a blossoming romance that will capture your heart and leave you wanting more!

Not particularly well written. Full of cliches. I struggled to finish this book. 1star

#15. Gloria's Inn by Robin Alexander
Hayden Tate suddenly found herself in a world unlike any other, when she inherited half of an inn nestled away on Cat Island in the Bahamas. Expecting something like the resorts found in Nassau, Hayden was shocked and a little disappointed to find herself on a beautiful tropical island undiscovered by tourism. Hayden reluctantly begins to adapt to a simpler way of life found on the island, and her conversion is often comical.

Not only did Hayden's aunt leave her an inn, but the company of her former business partner as well. Strange as she is beautiful, Adrienne turns Hayden's world upside down in many ways. Hayden quickly learns that being with Adrienne will always be an adventure.

The tranquility of the island is shattered with the disappearance of a mysterious guest. Hayden and Adrienne soon find themselves at the center of a murder investigation, fearing for their own safety and the lives of their guests. Eager to rid themselves and the island of a ruthless killer, Adrienne and Hayden decideto conduct their own investigation. The eclectic mixture of guests and staff make their efforts both interesting and humorous.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. However, there were a couple things that bothered me - the one aspect of the paranormal in an otherwise realistic setting and the speed at which Hayden adapted to island life. Despite that, I felt the book was a good blend of humour, intrigue, comraderie, friendship and romance. 4stars

#16. Paperback Romance by Karin Kallmaker
Literary agent Alison has been in love with her favorite author-client for years. Not that paperback romance write Carolyn has ever noticed. She sees Alison as a close, loyal friend.

When Alison negotiates a lucrative contract for her, Carolyn seizes the unexpectedly large advance to fulfill a passion of her own. Beginning in Paris, scene of her brief, calamitous marriage, she will immerse herself in great music from the world's great orchestras.

Paris brings a dramatic encounter with Nicolas Frost, the remote, driven young conductor who is creating a reputation for musical brilliance. When the smitten Carolyn discovers the conductor's masquerade - necessary to achieve recognition in the male-dominated higher echelons of classical music - she is suddenly faced with the true nature of her powerful attraction to Nick.

Meanwhile, Alison has found her own consolation. But does sweet, passionate Samantha have any chance of winning Alison's affections away from Carolyn? Can there be any future for Nick and Carolyn?

A well-written, enjoyable romance. If romance novels are to your liking, I recommend it. 4+stars
Selkie

Postby Nurse Jo » 03 Aug 2010, 18:01

I really enjoyed the Lauren series by Sandra Scoppettone :-) .
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Selkie » 04 Aug 2010, 02:06

Oh, that's always good to hear! :-) (And I'm doubly excited because it looks like my local library has all the books! :yahoo: )
Selkie

Postby Baker » 04 Aug 2010, 08:51

Wow. You've been on a reading blitz, Selkie.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 50 Book Challenge 2010