Words to Watch Out For

Discussion about the various aspects of the writing craft.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Words to Watch Out For

Postby Proofrdr » 23 Jun 2012, 06:32

PaulaO wrote:Now to learn what an adverb and preposition is. (jk...maybe)
\
When in doubt, you can always ask. You know I love this stuff.;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 23 Jun 2012, 09:59

In this manuscript, I've already completed a search/replace for replicator (I switched to processor) and for mass (which should have been matter) and for it's/its (which, for some reason, I randomly use the wrong one). So doing another for this one won't be a big deal. Just have to evaluate each time it appears and decide which to use.

/sigh
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 28 Jun 2012, 13:00

Here's another for consideration:

Gage vs Gauge

I have always spelled it gauge but now spell checkers are saying it is not a word. Granted, spell checkers are often wrong. OpenOffice dictionary does not recognize gauge. Firefox's spellchecker does not recognize gage. (but does Gage, since it is a name?)

Sentence:
I tried to gauge her response to my statement.

A lot of places say gage is an accepted alternative; some (many) say gage is the lazy Americanization version; and others say gauge is correct unless it is the thickness of steel or marijuana.

So, what say you?

Thought I would ask before I told OpenOffice to add it to the dictionary.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Jun 2012, 13:32

The current Merriam-Webster Unabridged agrees with you that it very certainly is a word. These are the entries for the transitive verb form. I don't particularly like the variant spelling. ;)
Main Entry: 2gauge Pronunciation Guide
Variant(s): or gage \"\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -ed/-ing/-s
Etymology: Middle English gaugen, from Old North French gaugier, from gauge, n.
1 a : to measure exactly : determine precisely the size of (as a standardized part), amount of (as rainfall), dimensions, or other measurable value of (as intensity or velocity); broadly : to estimate (some quantity) by practical or logical means <gauging his progress by the milestones he passed> b : to determine the capacity or amount of contents of (as a cask or comparable vessel) c : to measure the capacity, character, or ability of : APPRAISE, JUDGE <gauging the probable response of the electorate by sampling techniques> <I would not gauge the future on what I know of the past> <how would you gauge his conduct?> d usually gage : to determine the flow of (a stream) by measurement of the cross section and the velocity
2 a : to check or limit with or as if with a gauge <he gauged each part of the model with calipers>; broadly : to cause to conform to a standard (as of measurement or performance) b : to measure off or set out <gauge the line for the foundation>; sometimes : to set bounds to c (1) : to determine the perforation number of (a stamp) (2) : to have (an indicated perforation number) by measurement <a stamp gauging 10>
3 : to mix (plaster) in certain definite proportions (as for quick drying) : mix plaster of paris with (mortar) for quick setting
4 : to dress (bricks or stones) to size by rubbing or chipping
5 : to set (an insert) in the right position in bookbinding
6 a : to gather (sewing) with alternating short and long stitches b : to hold evenly distributed gathers with (as smocking)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 28 Jun 2012, 19:01

Gage is horrible! It just looks wrong. I usually ignore that red line, as most of the time it's telling me I've used the UK spelling.

Of course, there are greengages but otherwise please use gauge, especially if I am likely to read your book ;) .It will save it from being thrown across the room.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 29 Jun 2012, 01:40

My spell-checker has no problem with gauge. Word or Firefox.

Merriam-Webster online gives them quite different meanings.

Gage (noun; they say the verb is archaic, but they don't say it's the same as gauge):
1: a token of defiance; specifically : a glove or cap cast on the ground to be taken up by an opponent as a pledge of combat
2: something deposited as a pledge of performance

Gauge (verb):
1a : to measure precisely the size, dimensions, or other measurable quantity of b : to determine the capacity or contents of c : estimate, judge <hard to gauge his moods>
2a : to check for conformity to specifications or limits b : to measure off or set out

I'd add it to the dictionary.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 29 Jun 2012, 07:19

Nurse Jo wrote:Gage is horrible! It just looks wrong.

Yes! Actually, to me gage is not at all the same word as gauge. Apart from greengages, I can't recall ever seeing this word. I wouldn't have had a clue what it meant without E's post above. I would not, in this case, have assumed it was an example of the USA dropping the u.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Jun 2012, 07:58

Right. Gage is an entirely different word...and archaic at that. When I see gage, I think of a knight making his pledge to go to combat or to protect some one or some thing. A gage is a pledge...as in mortgage.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 19 Sep 2012, 04:31

Grammar Girl recently restarted sending out email newsletters. Usually they are interesting and useful. Today's was neither.

Current vs Currant

Why do we need a memory trick for this? Other than this post, I don't think I have ever typed the word 'currant'.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 19 Sep 2012, 05:41

They're not as commonly used in cooking/baking as they used to be.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Craft Discussion