Authors cannot review books on Amazon

Discussion about the various aspects of the writing craft.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Authors cannot review books on Amazon

Postby FranW » 02 Jan 2013, 08:43

In case y'all haven't heard, Amazon has 'dealt with' the minor problem of authors reviewing their own books (five stars!! best book evah!!!!1!!11!!!) or revenge-reviewing other people's books (1star! book sucks! it must! the author once gave my book a bad review!) by banning all authors from writing reviews of other books "in their genre", and deleting all their existing reviews.

Yes, they really are this stupid.

How do they define genre? Is lesfic a genre? What if the author publishes under a pseudonym?

Authors have, predictably, been unimpressed.

Amazon has now admitted that it has introduced a ban on authors leaving reviews about other people's books in the same genre because they may pose a “conflict of interest” and cannot be impartial about their rivals.

This means that thriller writers are prevented from commenting on works by other authors who write similar books.

Critics suggest this system is flawed because many authors are impartial and are experts on novels.

In recent weeks, some authors said they had more than 50 reviews deleted without notice, provoking waves of critical comments and posts on blogs and internet forums.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... kdown.html
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Authors cannot review books on Amazon

Postby Baker » 02 Jan 2013, 10:22

Gosh, that looks like a foolproof, well-thought out policy. :no:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby PaulaO » 02 Jan 2013, 12:08

Yet another reason to hate Amazon.com
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 03 Jan 2013, 07:38

I'd read it also affected friends and family of authors, though how they'd police that, I'm not sure. I expected some of mine would come down (not that anyone cares about lesfic reviews) because I do state when I have a connection to an author, say, was a beta reader.

I just wish people would respect the process and not abuse it. I don't even look at Amazon reviews when I'm considering a book. Oh, I might check them out but only if they have some 3-star reviews. If they are all or mostly 5 stars, I ignore them.

Oh, and here's the latest product to get the review bump: Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer

Just a sample...
16,859 of 16,981 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
No more winning for you, Mr. Banana!, March 3, 2011
By SW3K - See all my reviews
For decades I have been trying to come up with an ideal way to slice a banana. "Use a knife!" they say. Well...my parole officer won't allow me to be around knives. "Shoot it with a gun!" Background check...HELLO! I had to resort to carefully attempt to slice those bananas with my bare hands. 99.9% of the time, I would get so frustrated that I just ended up squishing the fruit in my hands and throwing it against the wall in anger. Then, after a fit of banana-induced rage, my parole officer introduced me to this kitchen marvel and my life was changed. No longer consumed by seething anger and animosity towards thick-skinned yellow fruit, I was able to concentrate on my love of theatre and am writing a musical play about two lovers from rival gangs that just try to make it in the world. I think I'll call it South Side Story.

Banana slicer...thanks to you, I see greatness on the horizon.
Comment Comments (140)

8,420 of 8,493 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
Saved my marriage, July 30, 2012
By Mrs Toledo (Greeley, CO) - See all my reviews
What can I say about the 571B Banana Slicer that hasn't already been said about the wheel, penicillin, or the iPhone.... this is one of the greatest inventions of all time. My husband and I would argue constantly over who had to cut the day's banana slices. It's one of those chores NO ONE wants to do! You know, the old "I spent the entire day rearing OUR children, maybe YOU can pitch in a little and cut these bananas?" and of course, "You think I have the energy to slave over your damn bananas? I worked a 12 hour shift just to come home to THIS?!" These are the things that can destroy an entire relationship. It got to the point where our children could sense the tension. The minute I heard our 6-year-old girl in her bedroom, re-enacting our daily banana fight with her Barbie dolls, I knew we had to make a change. That's when I found the 571B Banana Slicer. Our marriage has never been healthier, AND we've even incorporated it into our lovemaking. THANKS 571B BANANA SLICER!
Comment Comments (27)

703 of 718 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars
Confusing, September 11, 2012
By Q-Tip - See all my reviews
There is no way to tell if this is a standard or metric banana slicer. Additional markings on it would help greatly.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Craft Discussion