Fun with Spelling checking

Discussion about the various aspects of the writing craft.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Fun with Spelling checking

Postby Baker » 28 Mar 2014, 07:36

So, I've started going through a story with my half-assed editor's eye. (Half-assed because I make no pretence at expertise beyond the basics.) One or two things struck me while doing a spelling check:

Words that I had to double check because I was pretty sure I was right, but the spelling checker said not:
1) crenellated. The spell check wanted to take out the double consonant. I suspect this is creeping USAianism.
2) rejoin. The sc wanted to hyphenate. Really?
3) Apostume. Okay, I can totally forgive it for barfing at that one. But it stays as is, since I suspect readers can make a decent stab at it in context. And it is exactly the word I want to use.
4) Spell checking a story where one of your characters has a stammer is an effing nightmare! (Yes, I turn off the grammar check, since that would've barfed big-time, too.)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: Fun with Spelling checking

Postby ElaineB » 28 Mar 2014, 08:28

I never use the grammar checker. It's just idiotic.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Fun with Spelling checking

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Aug 2014, 08:34

I never use either of the checkers. They actually slow me down.
When I have a problem, I consult my friend Renée and we come to a consensus after scintillating discussions about the grammar, usage, or punctuation conundrum.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Craft Discussion