What's Happening in the World of Publishing

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

What's Happening in the World of Publishing

Postby FranW » 19 Feb 2013, 12:42

Thanks to Proof for this heads-up:

The Writer's Blog wrote:The U.S. Department of Justice has approved the merger of Penguin and Random House. The New York Times reports that the Justice Department did not impose any conditions on the merger, which it often does if there is an antitrust issue. Random House is owned by German media company Bertelsmann and Penguin is owned by British giant Pearson. The European Commission must still approve the deal which would create the world's largest book publisher.

What'll it be?
Unofficial sources indicated that Random House parent Bertelsmann would come out with controlling interest of the combined publishing house, which @EvilWylie (author Andrew T. Shaffer) has humorously dubbed "Random Penguin."

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/ ... -p/1399126

So, the Big Six will become the Big Five. Why are they doing this?
Ever since Amazon began ripping apart the book business, the largest houses have been looking for a way to fight back. If this merger is any indication, they have chosen an old-fashioned strategy: Size.

A combined Penguin-Random House, which would control a quarter of the global book market, is a conglomerate designed to take on another giant, though it’s not exactly a fair fight. Because the new entity will only have about a twelfth of Amazon’s annual sales, most observers expect that this is just the beginning of a series of mergers — like those in the music business — that will take the Big Six publishers down to the Big Three and perhaps one day even the Big One. As John Makinson, Penguin’s chief executive, told The Times, “We decided it was better to get in early rather than be a follower.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/magaz ... .html?_r=0

While I'd love to be published by any company called Random Penguin, I'd imagine this is going to make margins even tighter, and mainstream even more closed to GLBTQ content.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: What's Happening in the World of Publishing

Postby FranW » 07 Nov 2014, 06:20

Start Publishing has purchased Cleis Press

Start Publishing president Jarred Weisfeld said Start will continue Cleis’s print program, releasing Cleis print and digital titles simultaneously. He noted, however, that Start’s focus remains on acquiring e-book publishers and will take on print if it makes sense.

Cleis’s titles, both print and digital, will continue to be distributed by PGW. Cleis, best known for its books and human sexuality and erotica titles, will remain in San Francisco under the direction of Brenda Knight, who will serve as publisher for all three imprints. Cleis principals Felice Newman and Frederique Delacoste, are retiring. As it has with its earlier purchases, Start will assume responsibility for Cleis’s business operations, while leaving publishing and marketing functions to Knight and her team.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-t ... press.html
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: What's Happening in the World of Publishing

Postby Proofrdr » 04 Jul 2015, 22:38

When I came to read your latest post here, Fran, I noticed the first post on the topic. That was 2013 when the Big Six of publishing houses became the Big Five. I just checked and it's now down to the Big Four book publishers:

Simon & Schuster (a subsidiary of CBS Corporation)
HarperCollins (a subsidiary of NewsCorp)
Penguin Random House (a subsidiary of Bertelsmann and Pearson) [Calling it Random Penguin House would have been more memorable}
Hachette Livre

I wonder if we'll be seeing a Big Three list.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Markets