The future of publishing

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: The future of publishing

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Feb 2012, 10:05

I also refuse to buy books from Amazon. I expect the US government might finally catch on to Amazon's monopolization of all publishing when Amazon starts dictating how US currency is printed.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 07 Feb 2012, 06:36

lol Maybe.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Sandi » 03 Apr 2012, 10:18

People of Earth (minus the ones who don't give a shit about this): it's been amazing to conduct this experiment with you. The experiment was: if I put out a brand new standup special at a drastically low price ($5) and make it as easy as possible to buy, download and enjoy, free of any restrictions, will everyone just go and steal it? Will they pay for it? And how much money can be made by an individual in this manner?

https://buy.louisck.net/news

I wonder if this is viable for ebooks
Sandi
A little more activity
A little more activity

Postby FranW » 03 Apr 2012, 12:20

Pretty much, Sandi. It's called Pottermore.

But what it requires is:
1. The author self publishes. That way she can control the price.
2. The e book is sold direct from the author. That way there's only one person making a profit (the author) rather than several (the author, the publisher, and the bookseller).
3. The author has enough name recognition (e g JK Rowling) that she can personally sell hundreds of thousands of copies of her book.

#3 is where it all falls down for 99.99999% of writers.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 04 Apr 2012, 03:42

This from Nathan Brandsford (scroll down, it was the comment of the week):
If the big publishers bread and butter authors walk out the door because they have name recognition, what will the big publishers do? Will they start appreciating their mid-list authors? Oh, wait, they have moved onto self-publishing.

His original post, Why the Harry Potter E-books Are and Aren't a Really Big Deal
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 25 May 2012, 07:23

Well, the future of publishing no longer includes Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. It looks like the combination of readers no longer buying high-priced hardcovers plus cuts in eduction funding causing schools to buy fewer textbooks plus the loss of revenue from its perennial best selling paperback triloty LOTR (now available on Kindle, all 1000-plus pages, for less than ten bucks) plus HMH getting into bed with Amazon and pissing off B&N has taken its toll. The multi billion dollar publishing giant has filed for bankruptcy.

This will suck for any author who has a book contracted but not yet published with HMH, as that contract now becomes an asset to be sold to pay off creditors. Til then, it's in limbo. And it can take a decade or more to get a bankruptcy sorted out.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... bankruptcy
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 28 May 2012, 07:22

Wow. That's one big corpse.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 28 May 2012, 13:55

Houghton Mifflin published one of the anthology series we used in my high school. Even in the old days when I was still working (retired 1997). the anthologies were almost too costly. A class set of 30 was more than $2,000--more than a year's book budget for my department. Those books had to last 10 years for us, and we weren't unusual. The local salesman for HM, a classmate, was telling me then that the school book division was losing ground.

This is both sad and ominous. Amazon is controlling publishing.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 Jun 2012, 07:23

Proofrdr wrote:This is both sad and ominous. Amazon is controlling publishing.

This.
Baker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Markets