The future of publishing

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: The future of publishing

Postby FranW » 27 Feb 2011, 07:43

Margaret Atwood explains the Publishing Pie from the author's point of view:

http://www.toccon.com/toc2011/public/sc ... tail/17569
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 27 Feb 2011, 10:42

"Don't panic. They'll think you're prey."
lol

It's long, I'll watch the rest later, but it looks quite promising.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 28 Feb 2011, 09:53

It's interesting and very funny. She's a terrifically smart lady.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 11 Apr 2011, 07:21

An interesting article from a US small press, stating that they lose money when they sell through Amazon. The comments thread is even more interesting. Well worth a read if you have an interest in seeing the costs behind-the-scenes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksbl ... her-losses
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 11 Apr 2011, 08:53

C.L., owner of RCE, hates Amazon. Their formula for payment and when they pay it is quite fluid with the flow going toward them, not her.

I no longer buy from Amazon and encourage everyone I know to avoid them as well.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 11 Apr 2011, 08:55

I don't either, and I'm determined to buy lesfic either from the publisher or Bella or someone I can care more about than B&N.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 11 Apr 2011, 08:57

Me to. I haven't purchased anything from Amazon since that fiasco years ago about gay books. I wish all the publishers would just stop offering books to Amazon. With the internet and publisher sites, there's easy access without selling out to Amazon.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Selkie » 11 Apr 2011, 09:38

I definitely try every alternative I can think of to Amazon, though unfortunately I don't make enough money to be that picky if Amazon is significantly cheaper.

The Book Depository is definitely my favorite place to try and get books from. :-)
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Feb 2012, 05:48

Here's more jockeying for position whilst Amazon whittles away at everybody else's market share. This from writerswrite.com's Writer's Blog:
Barnes & Noble has decided it will not carry any books published by Amazon. Amazon recently partnered with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's New Harvest imprint to have New Harvest distribute print versions of its books. Amazon was probably hoping that having the print version of its books published by the Harcourt imprint would get them into bricks-and-mortars stores, but Barnes & Noble is not about to let that happen in its stores.

Here is the statement from Jaime Carey, Chief Merchandising Officer of Barnes & Noble.

"Barnes & Noble has made a decision not to stock Amazon published titles in our store showrooms. Our decision is based on Amazon's continued push for exclusivity with publishers, agents and the authors they represent. These exclusives have prohibited us from offering certain eBooks to our customers. Their actions have undermined the industry as a whole and have prevented millions of customers from having access to content. It's clear to us that Amazon has proven they would not be a good publishing partner to Barnes & Noble as they continue to pull content off the market for their own self interest. We don't get many requests for Amazon titles, but If customers wish to buy Amazon titles from us, we will make them available only online at bn.com"
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 06 Feb 2012, 08:22

That's interesting, and I can't say I disagree with the sentiment. It's hard to argue with the contention Amazon are out to monopolise. I notice that ebooks from them are usually a dollar or so cheaper than anywhere else. Personally, I pay the extra and shop elsewhere, because I can imagine what would happen if/when Amazon establishes a monopoly. I also don't like the way Amazon screws publishers and authors who self-publish and sell through Amazon.

I still can't believe the UK approved the Amazon take over of Book Depository, including the idea they didn't think it helped Amazon towards monopoly status. Crikey.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Markets