the public face of publishers (and authors and agents and...

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: the public face of publishers (and authors and agents an

Postby Proofrdr » 25 Aug 2014, 07:54

SF without politics? It is, and always has been, political. It's just not the politics she wants.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 10 Sep 2014, 03:44

What Proof, said.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 08 Mar 2015, 11:11

It looks like Cleis Press, under its new ownership, is imploding.

Violet Blue, who edits Best Women's Erotica, has an open letter to her authors about the crap going down.
Present day: Cleis has sold to a company called Start. I don’t know much about them, other than they’re buying up indie publishers (they bought Nightshade a while back). I do know that the way BWE 2015 has been handled is abysmal, and it has fucked with my reputation as an editor — I’m always on time with authors I work with, but not this time.

http://www.tinynibbles.com/blogarchives ... k-you.html

Alison Tyler has had her books pulled by Cleis: http://alisontyler.blogspot.co.nz/2015/ ... 91e495fa91

I reckon this is, sadly, one to avoid for the time being. It's a real shame, because they were such a solid publisher for so long.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 09 Mar 2015, 06:47

Looks like a mess. It seems no one knows much about Start and why they would want to buy up a bunch of indie publishers.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Sacchi » 09 Mar 2015, 10:46

Here's what I've seen/know/guess about Cleis.

First, I'll say that I recently got my appropriate royalties, pretty much on time. And the editors of two other books that came out since the sale have paid me for my contributions, so they got their advances, although one of the books had been delayed well past its usual time.

The publishing staff at Cleis is still the same under the new owners, but with fewer people doing more of the work. The new owner holds the purse strings, and determines when money is released to pay for books to be issued. It looks to me as though the previous owners (and founders) had contracted for more books to be published than current income could cover, particularly since Barnes & Noble closed a large number of stores last year, which resulted in a huge number of returned books, many having accumulated for years in their warehouses without ever getting to the store shelves (I know a former B&N employee who verifies that that this has been going on for years.) Cleis (and, I'm sure, other publishers) had to refund B&N for all those books. I'm sure there have been other factors, too, but whatever the cause, I have the impression from someone there that money got so tight that at least once last year leading employees had to postpone their own salaries so that royalties could go out on time (which they did.)

The effect on my books has only been postponement. I turned in two anthologies last year, one of which (Me and My Boi) should have come out this spring but is now scheduled for September. Could be worse. The somewhat later one (The Princess's Bride) has just been informally scheduled for next spring in time for Pride season, which is appropriate. I was told that the sales agreement with the new owner specified that they keep to the Cleis tradition of publishing at least some LGBTQ+ books, and they seem to be honoring that.

I only recently heard about theoretically accepted anthologies being canceled, but apparently it's been news for a while. I knew one editor was self-publishing one she'd done for Cleis, but she's done quite a bit of self-publishing, so I thought she was just getting impatient. Now I know about four cancellations, and that may just be the tip of the iceberg.

Yes, it sucks. There appear to have been some sketchy things going on to make the sale go through, and some sketchy things being done with the backlist. But I sympathize with the publishing staff, who have no say on budgetary matters, struggling through the transition, and I think--hope--that things are improving just a bit. We'll see. I have other options for my completed anthologies if I need them, but I'm leaving them with Cleis for the time being, and my writers concur. Cleis books have always been well-produced and well-distributed. Again, we'll see.

Still. as you may have noticed, I'm currently working on two non-Cleis anthologies, so there's that.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 09 Mar 2015, 10:57

I hope Cleis can get back on track, as they've always been a stalwart of the genre and maintained a good rep for decades.

Too many erotica publishers have been going belly-up with a side dish of train-wreck lately; it's quite dispiriting.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Markets