the public face of publishers (and authors and agents and...

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: the public face of publishers (and authors and agents an

Postby Proofrdr » 27 Sep 2013, 02:22

What a pompous ass!
I’m a natural teacher, I was trained in television for many years. I know how to talk to a camera, therefore I know how to talk to a room of students. It’s the same thing.

Really? I don't believe the camera talks back or interrupts or needs to have something repeated or explained. I've taught in both high school and university, and I KNOW my best teaching was done when I talked with my students, not to them.

But I can only teach stuff I love. I can’t teach stuff that I don’t, and I haven’t encountered any Canadian writers yet that I love enough to teach.

So here he admits he's really not a teacher at all; he just talks about "stuff" he loves and disdains the other "stuff"...how convenient.

I teach Tropic of Cancer to the first-year class. They’re shocked out of their pants. No one teaches it except for me. Sometimes their parents actually question me about it, they say, Listen, this is really outrageous. I say, well, it’s a piece of literature that’s been around for 60 years. It’s got something going for it.

And from this, we see he is interested not in in educating his students, but rather in shocking them and being the outrageous instructor who titillates them. He obviously gets off on that.

His dismissive attitude toward women authors is reprehensible! He chooses but one short story by Virginia Woolf while disparaging the likes of Willa Cather, Sarah Orne Jewett, Joyce Carol Oates, and legions of other GREAT women authors. That off-hand compliment to Margaret Atwood was the final straw. I yelled [expletives deleted] at the screen.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 27 Sep 2013, 04:30

I'm speechless.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 27 Sep 2013, 07:35

The charming fellow has followed up by saying he's shocked! shocked! that anyone was offended by his comments. And that he is NOT a misogynist or bigot. Not! And that he apologises, not because he's sorry, but because Random House has told him to since this could affect his sales.

Go on, read it, you know you want to. Just don't throw anything at the monitor.
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/09/25 ... n-my-body/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 27 Sep 2013, 08:25

Wow. (In the worst possible way.)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 14 Oct 2013, 10:51

DNLee writes a column/blog for Scientific American under the handle "urban scientist". Like any writer, there is a limit to how many articles she can produce in a given amount of time, and a further limit on her ability to write free content rather than sell her articles for grocery money.

DNLee received a request from an editor named “Ofek” at Biology-Online.org asked DNLee to provide some free content for him. She responded with:

Thank you very much for your reply.
But I will have to decline your offer.
Have a great day.

The editor, who clearly doesn't realise that "don't respond to rejections" works in both directions, replied to her:
Because we don’t pay for blog entries?
Are you an urban scientist or an urban whore?

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blo ... t-be-none/

:-o
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 15 Oct 2013, 00:27

Oh. My. God. Well, I think I just found a really cool science blogger to follow in Dr. DNLee. I love her video response. "You all have a good day."

It raised a shit storm on the biology-online forum: http://www.biology-online.org/biology-f ... 34625.html

It got this response from an admin:
by honee_v » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:14 am
I am a woman too and have never encountered disrespect here in Biology Online.org. And I still look forward for contributing more to this site. I've been here for seven years and I can attest that this is the first time I heard about a staff of Biology Online showing unethical/unprofessional behavior.

Biology Online is run by a few people.. some of us, including me, are working remotely and thus most of us are communicating solely and rely through email. Like I said, we do not encourage nor tolerate that behavior that is why I immediately reported this incident yesterday to the other site's admins upon seeing this thread.

I know you want a speedy action but it is also necessary to conduct a fair investigation. It was only yesterday that I was informed that Ofek is a new employee of the website as an Editor. I was promised that this will be dealt with as soon as possible. I hope this would be resolved by Monday.

If the complaint is proven true and Ofek failed to give an ethical reason for his behavior I too would ask that he sends his apologies and that fair action must be taken to prevent this incident from happening again.

Thank you.

Which raised another shit storm over the concept of "an ethical reason for his behavior." For which she then had to apologize.

But now, the asshat has been fired and DNLee apologized to: http://www.biology-online.org/biology-f ... 34647.html

Wow. All of this since Oct. 10.

It's too bad Scientific American censored her response--they should have come to her defense. His slur was related to her role on SA. I'm glad Sean Carroll posted it. Shows not only her cool response to the issue, but also that it is fruitless to censor anything on the web. Once it's out there, it's out there and you are better off dealing with it than trying to pretend it never happened.

And let's not lose the message in all this that women in science are lesser beings and if you are black, it's even worse. What the hell was he thinking?
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 15 Oct 2013, 03:26

He was thinking he could say whatever he wanted with impunity. He felt entitled and justifiably outraged that a mere woman, and a Black woman at that, deigned to refuse his offer to let her do work for him for nothing. She should have been groveling at his feet with appreciation for the offer. What a jerk.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 15 Oct 2013, 06:16

An excellent outcome. Yay!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 31 Jul 2014, 12:12

This one's for you, Proof, because.....well, just because.

Nowadays, pretty much anyone can start up a press and call themselves a publisher. Thankfully, they sometimes have a re-think. Here's Kevin Waleroup of Blaster Books:
We are look for science friction in all sup-genre. We are not look for Paranormal romance and horror, fantasy. I like David Weber and John Ringo. My favorite sup-genre of science friction is military Science Friction and space opera. I love good science friction romance too.

I'm looking for novelette and novella, short stories. We you send a short stories it need body of e-mail. The novelettes and novella send it as a RTF and doc word document in the body of e-mail word count and a bio, synopsis. The manuscript times new Roman 12 and if you have have Chapters it should be in times new roman 14 and the first Paige should have only title and your name

We will pay for a short stories $50. We will pay for a novelette between $60 to $100 and a 40 % royalty. We will pay for a novella between $100 to $900 and a 45 % royalty.

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/BLASTERbooks

I have decided not publish any thing right now. I need work on My grandma and spelling.

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthre ... ster-books

Bless his heart.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 31 Jul 2014, 13:12

Please tell me this is a joke and that science friction romance is meant in a salacious way. Please. :scared:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Markets