the public face of publishers (and authors and agents and...

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: the public face of publishers (and authors and agents an

Postby FranW » 31 Jul 2014, 18:35

lol
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 31 Jul 2014, 18:43

But sadly, no, not a joke. He's published one of his own books already: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/alclad- ... 1501481192
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 31 Jul 2014, 22:57

I checked out the website. Oy! On the one hand, I see that selection from his book as a crime against the written word. On the other hand, I have respect and admiration for his having stories to tell and the eagerness to tell them.

I think storytelling is innate to all humans. When we tell lies, we are making up stories. When we talk about something that happened, we're narrating and embellishing what we experienced. But writing the stuff down in a coherent, expressive way is just not the same process.

Now, with self-publishing so easy, people with a story to tell jump from the idea to the book without the in-between work. If that man were one of my students, I would encourage him and help him. And I would advise him not to publish until the MS was ready for public consumption.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 01 Aug 2014, 07:43

Yep, I think he's genuinely into storytelling and genuinely not in a good relationship with the English language. What I find more worrisome is his adulation of John Ringo's fiction....

But the real problem is the plethora of this type of press. Nowadays, anyone with a keyboard can get enthused and be all "Imma write a book!" "Imma become a publisher!" A well meaning but clueless publisher will do just as much damage to its authors as an outright scammer will do. And, had this bloke's English been a little less horrendous, he would no doubt have had eager naive newbies sending him their manuscripts.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 01 Aug 2014, 11:38

FranW wrote:But the real problem is the plethora of this type of press.

Absolutely! That and the self-publishing through Amazon have given erstwhile authors the mistaken idea that writing a novel is within everyone's grasp. Most don't have the slightest idea about what it takes to write a novel . . . or even what a novel should be!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 07 Aug 2014, 10:52

lol
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 10 Aug 2014, 10:52

I don't know much about cover art, or art in general. But a book's cover art is quite often the reason I do or do not pick up/click link to look at the back cover copy etc. The cover art need not perfectly illustrate the world/characters/storyline, but it must a) have 'something' that gets my attention, and b) let me know what type of book it will be. If it's got spaceships on it, it should be a space-y SF novel. If it's got dragons on it, there had better be a dragon in the book. If it's got a woman swooning in a man's arms, it better be a straight romance (because if it's not, you just missed out on a potential reader, as those books I automatically do NOT click on/pick up).

Now, I will admit that horror, humour, and beauty are all subjective. What I find beautiful, another viewer might find funny. What gives me the giggles might give another viewer the shudders. So, I reckon cover artists need to work to the lowest common denominator, and create cover art that will be interpreted by the vast majority of viewers as intended by the artist/publisher.

Sorry, that was a bit long winded. And really, I reckon my issue with the cover art for the 50th anniversary-release of the children's classic "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is really pretty self explanatory.

No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 11 Aug 2014, 23:56

I was sure it must be a joke, but it is not.

From BBC News (missing period and all):
"This new image for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory looks at the children at the centre of the story, and highlights the way Roald Dahl's writing manages to embrace both the light and the dark aspects of life," said a statement from Penguin

If you say so. :no:

Google it and you'll see it's not going over well.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 24 Aug 2014, 08:11

A long post here, and probably of interest to just a subset of y'all.....

Toni Weisskopf, head of Baen Books, recently published an article on the Baen website, and on the blog of a Baen author. It's about science fiction -- its history, its current state, its lamentable entwinement with politics, its positive and negative aspects, and its intrinsic link with fandom.

It's an interesting read for a lot of reasons, none of which has to do with what Toni writes about.

The post is here: http://accordingtohoyt.com/2014/03/10/t ... weisskopf/
Bob Tucker in particular, with intelligence and humor, led fandom to the idea that it ought have nothing to do with greater world politics, but should concentrate on the thing we all loved, that being science fiction. ...The fact that fandom as an open culture survived more than seventy years is a testament to the power of that simple, uniting concept. That we are once again looking to be rift by a political divide was perhaps inevitable. But as fandom has grown, expanded and diluted itself, we may have won the überculture wars and lost our heart. We have not been able to transmit this central precept to new fans. Geeks are chic, but somehow we’ve let the fuggheads win.

In fact, what Toni is saying is that in the Golden Age, when Heinlein was God, politics didn't enter into SF because white men wrote it, white men read it, white men controlled fandom, and politics in SF weren't noticeable because they mirrored the politics of white men. Baen Books focuses on publishing books that glorify white men, war, misogyny, and Christianity, with titles like "A Hymen Before Battle". But SF has moved on and is trying to become more inclusive, so books that hate on women and gays and PoC aren't winning awards. Dammit! Baen wants to win awards, but they don't want to have anything to do with icky women and gays and PoC (aka fuggheads). Heinlein should still be God! SF is doin' it wrong! Dammit!

John Scalzi notes one reason Toni's post is fascinating:
In one sense, Ms. Weisskopf is to be commended for her facility at marketing messaging, in which she, as publisher of Baen Books, quite adeptly makes the argument, implicitly and explicitly, that those who read Baen Books are in fact the One True Fandom, and that the One True Fandom reads Baen (it should be noted that the piece originally ran in the Baen Bar online forum, located at the Baen Books site). At the same time she also suggests that despite being the One True Fandom, Baen folk are also outside the mainstream of science fiction, thus playing the hand of rhetorical cards that includes both Heirs to the Throne and Belittled Outsiders. It’s a nice trick.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/03/11/t ... -heinlein/

Plenty of other people have discussed this article, and their posts are worth reading:
http://fozmeadows.wordpress.com/2014/03 ... weisskopf/
http://theothersideoftherain.wordpress. ... weisskopf/
http://www.matthewgraybosch.com/2014/03 ... -heinlein/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 25 Aug 2014, 07:28

In fact, what Toni is saying is that in the Golden Age, when Heinlein was God, politics didn't enter into SF because white men wrote it, white men read it, white men controlled fandom, and politics in SF weren't noticeable because they mirrored the politics of white men.

In general terms, this is a very common fallacy. People who yearn for "the good old days" were the ones privileged in every way by the majority ethos that operated then, and they're unhappy, fearful, and/or angry that the world no longer caters specifically to them. When they moan and complain about other groups getting "special rights" or "special favours" what they are really whining about is others gaining the same rights and privileges they have always enjoyed. Glad to see people pushing aback against this BS in publishing, too. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Markets