Awards, contests, competitions

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: Awards, contests, competitions

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Sep 2013, 01:33

From Writers' Blog:
The 2013 Man Booker Prize shortlist has been announced. The shortlist was announced by Chair of Judges Robert Macfarlane. The longlist of 13 books was whittled down to the following six books:

We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo (Chatto & Windus)
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (Granta)
Harvest by Jim Crace (Picador)
The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (Bloomsbury)
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (Canongate)
The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin (Viking)

Macfarlane said in a statement, "Global in its reach, this exceptional shortlist demonstrates the vitality and range of the contemporary novel at its finest. These six superb works of fiction take us from gold-rush New Zealand to revolutionary Calcutta, from modern-day Japan to the Holy Land of the Gospels, and from Zimbabwe to the deep English countryside. World-spanning in their concerns, and ambitious in their techniques, they remind us of the possibilities and power of the novel as a form."

Jim Grace and Colm Toibin have both been shortlisted before. This [sic] are four female writers shortlisted this year. They are all first time nominees. Eleanor Catton, 27, is the youngest writer on the list.

FOUR FEMALE WRITERS! :-)

Personal note: I read Lahiri's first book while visiting my niece in North Carolina. I couldn't put it down! Lahiri was born in London, but was raised and educated here in Rhode Island where her father was the director of the University of Rhode Island's libraries. That first book--Interpretation of Maladies--a wonderful collection of short stories, won the Pulitzer Prize in 2000. Except for this latest, I've read everything she's published. Her characters have great complexity, yet they are presented in surprisingly simple language. The writing is clean, direct, unpretentious. I recommend her.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 16 Sep 2013, 07:38

That is a warm reccommendation, indeed. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Sep 2013, 09:15

You made me stop and think, Baker. Is it too warm? Am I being unnecessarily effusive? But no, it's exactly how I feel about her writing. She's definitely an author I enjoy reading. And she's young, so I expect much more of her work to enjoy.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 17 Sep 2013, 07:25

I'm sorry: I didn't intend to make you question your judgement. Rather, I take a reccommendation from you seriously. Compliment, Proof. ;)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 17 Sep 2013, 07:56

Great about the Booker and I'll also take in account your recommendation, Proof!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 17 Sep 2013, 08:56

Ditto!
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 17 Sep 2013, 11:25

Oh no, the pressure of it all. Now I'm really worried! :scared:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 18 Sep 2013, 10:06

:)
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Markets