Awards, contests, competitions

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Awards, contests, competitions

Postby FranW » 12 Aug 2010, 13:53

Post 'em here.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Awards, contests, competitions

Postby FranW » 12 Aug 2010, 13:54

Romance Writers of America -- (First Annual) LGBT Romance Contest
This contest, sponsored by RRW, will recognize the best in published LGBT romance. The contest is open to all authors published in novel or novella length romantic fiction during the 2009 publishing year as long as the story in question has an LGBT romance as its focus and fits within one of our seven categories.

The contest categories are:

• Contemporary
• Paranormal
• Romantic Suspense
• Historical
• Sci-fi/Fantasy
• YA
• short/novella (10,000-20,000 words)

All entries must be submitted electronically and will be accepted beginning June 1 2010 through August 31, 2010. The entry fee is $15 and is payable through Paypal. Entrants need not be members of either Rainbow Romance Writers or RWA.

full info here: http://www.lambdaliterary.org/writers/s ... ence-raes/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 12 Aug 2010, 14:17

The Asham Award

Judges: Sarah Waters; Lennie Goodings (publisher of Virago); Polly Samson.
Prizes: £1,00 - £1,000 + publication (Virago anthology)
Submissions: short stories with the theme of "ghost" or "gothic"
Length: to 4000 words
Eligibility: women writers resident in the UK who have not had a novel or short story collection published
Entry fee: £15
Deadline: 30 September 2010

full info here: http://www.ashamaward.com/the_asham_award.asp
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 22 Sep 2010, 06:15

Jeffrey Archer is judging a short story contest. Here. But here's the thing, when you read the Rules (in a tiny box, so I copied them out into Word), there's this:
4. Eligibility: Contest is open to legal residents of the U.S. aged 18 or older who have been Previously Unpublished (except that authors of self-published works only may enter, as long as the Manuscript submitted is not the self-published work)

Emphasis mine. It doesn't say in the promo materials that it's only for unpublished authors, just unpublished stories. I just found that odd. And gee, here's a plus to being self-published. It doesn't count as published!

Oh, and while the contest is to "win your own publishing contract!" here's what the Rules say the Grand Prize is:
5. Prizes: One Grand Prize: St. Martin’s Press will offer to enter into an agreement with the Grand Prize Winner for publication of one or more e-book editions of the winning Manuscript. THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY OTHER PRIZE AND WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY PAYMENT WITH RESPECT TO THE WINNING MANUSCRIPT UNTIL A PUBLICATION AGREEMENT HAS BEEN EXECUTED BY BOTH PARTIES AND THE MANUSCRIPT HAS BEEN PUBLISHED. The publishing agreement offered will be St. Martin's Press's standard-form agreement, which provides for a royalty of 25% of the amount received from e-book editions, modified as needed to provide that no advance will be paid and publication may only be in the form of e-book editions (although it will permit publication in print editions as well if St. Martin's Press so elects).

Emphasis in the original. And there's more. But, really what do you get? Your story as an e-book, sold all by itself, and you get 25 percent of the price? But who's gonna see it? Am I missing something?
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 22 Sep 2010, 07:35

E, that does seem quite underwhelming.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 20 Dec 2011, 10:19

The 2012 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award

The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award brings together talented writers, reviewers, and publishing experts to find and develop new voices in fiction. The 2012 international contest will award two grand prizes: one for General Fiction and one for Young Adult Fiction. Each winner will receive a publishing contract with Penguin, which includes a $15,000 advance.

Open submissions for manuscripts will begin on January 23, 2012 and run through February 5, 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 01 Mar 2012, 07:15

The Orpheus Fiction Contest

Publisher: Erato, the GLBT imprint of Musa
Seeking: stories 20,000+ words
Entry fee: none
Enter: email a brief query-length summary of your GLBT work
Judging: the general public will vote on the summaries/pitches. Top ten choices will be asked for 3 chapters/50 pages. Three judges will pick the top five, then read and score the full ms.
Prizes: Publishing deals with Musa for top two books; third place = full critique by Musa editor; honorable mentions = chapter critique and $10 gift card.

full info here: http://erato-glbt.blogspot.co.nz/p/orph ... ntest.html

If you have a lesbian piece you were planning to submit to Musa, this is probably as good a way as any to get out of the slushpile. If you've got a piece gathering dust because it's too lesbian or too short for a novel-length publisher, this might be a good home for it. I've been hearing good things about Musa.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 02 Mar 2012, 08:20

Glad to hear a vote of confidence in this. I saw this somewhere and spurned it because of the popularity voting. That's the sort of thing where the more friends you have the better you can write. ;)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 02 Mar 2012, 09:57

Yeah, I have no idea how/whether the voting concept works. THey say they won't allow "ballot stuffing" but I don't know what that means, either, so I've asked.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Andain » 02 Mar 2012, 11:11

Ditto on appreciating the vote on this. I'm considering entering it, but the popularity thing really works against me... >.>
Captive by the Fog - My debut novel, now available from Musa Publishing.
Andain
Increasingly animated
Increasingly animated

Next

Return to Markets