Marketing

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Marketing

Postby Sacchi » 24 Apr 2011, 03:30

I'm not sure this is the right place, but I'll put it here unless advised otherwise.

My publisher just forwarded (to all their writers) this bit from their marketing folks:

"Amazon Pre-orders – currently pre-orders are very important for Amazon’s business. Amazon systems will buy at x3 rate against preorders, so 30 customer purchases prior to initial shipment will more or less automatically trigger a 100 unit buy. It’s always good to have your authors and agents do what they can pre-pub to build these preorders. It will affect the initial buy."

Imprecise math aside, I'm not sure how much difference the "initial buy" makes, since Amazon clearly gets more from time to time, but the pre-order figures do influence the publishers, and pre-orders to book stores probably have the same sort of effect. It wouldn't generally occur to me to order a book before it was available, or to push my books much beforehand, but it's already been demonstrated that I have a lot to learn about the current marketing necessities in the world of publishing.

I think I'll hustle and pre-order a copy of Hellebore and Rue, already out as an e-book but coming in print from Lethe in May. H&B is the lesbian magic-users antho edited by Joselle Vanderhooft and Catherine Lundoff (including a totally non-erotic piece by my alter-ego.) I'm wishing now that I'd pre-ordered Promises, Promises, but alas, I only got around to that three days ago.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Marketing

Postby FranW » 24 Apr 2011, 07:44

Book Depository often offers pre-orders at a reduced price, to make it attractive to customers. And I've heard that to some degree presses, or at least small presses, will configure the size of the initial print run based on pre orders.

I don't shop with Amazon so I don't reckon I can help much, though.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Marketing

Postby Baker » 24 Apr 2011, 08:31

I had no idea about pre-orders. Like you, Sacchi, it wouldn't occur to me to order a book before it was available. I must be passing into the older generation...

Like you, I'd like to know what difference those "initial buys" make in the long term.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Return to Markets