Re: Anthologies/time-dated markets

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Postby FranW » 12 May 2014, 07:28

Strange Little Girls

Publisher: Belladonna
Seeking: short stories
Genre: spec fic
Theme: strange little girls (see below)
Length: 2000 - 8000 words
Deadline: July 15, 2014
Payment: $120

more info here: http://belladonnapublishing.com/submiss ... tle-girls/

The strange little girl is not like the other little girls. She might look like the other girls and act like the other girls, but be very strange at heart – or she might be just plain weird altogether. Sometimes she is a scary little girl, other times a dreamer, always treading the fine line between reality and imagination – or even madness… We want to meet new strange little girls, and read strong and original stories about them. Why is she strange? How is she strange? Who is she when she grows up? Does she end up like the madwoman in the attic, hidden away from the world – or is she an office clerk? A lawyer? A baker of poisoned goods?

Think Wednesday Adams, Merricat Blackwood, Alice, Drusilla, Carrie and Amy Pond, to name a few. Of course, your strange little girl might be nothing like them at all – she might not even be the protagonist of your story, but she has to be there, at the center, in all her strange little glory.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 11 Jul 2014, 12:29

Sci-Fi Romance Quarterly

Publisher: Sci-Fi Romance Quarterly
Editor: Diane Dooley
Genre: SF romance; "Very open to f/f, m/m, poly."
Theme: cyborg
Length: 1,000 to 7,500 words
Deadline: August 15, 2014.
Payment: $30 (US) upon publication

more info here: http://dianedooley.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... org-theme/ ;http://www.scifiromancequarterly.org/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 Sep 2014, 09:06

She Walks in Shadows Lovecraft anthology

Publisher: Innsmouth Free Press
Editor: Paula R. Stiles
Genre: F/H
Theme: "short stories inspired by the work of Lovecraft that focus on a woman or female deity"
Restrictions: Only authors who identify as female
Length: to 4,000 words
Deadline:open submissions period from November 15, 2014 to December 15, 2014
Payment: 6 cents a word (Canadian $, eh)

more info here: http://www.innsmouthfreepress.com/blog/ ... n-shadows/

Adding: this is a small outfit I've never run across before, quite new with few publications, and appears to be a self-pub-turned-small-press by two authors with limited publishing experience, so proceed with the usual caution.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Re: Anthologies/time-dated markets

Postby Sacchi » 28 Sep 2014, 10:01

Almost makes me want to actually read some Lovecraft. Hmm, my older son has pretty much all of Lovecraft's work. I gave him tentacled Cthulu slipper once for Christmas, and they went over well.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Re: Anthologies/time-dated markets

Postby FranW » 28 Sep 2014, 11:20

I've never read any either, so I can't even attempt to write in that world, but it does sound like an interesting anthology.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Sep 2014, 13:13

The entire time I taught high school students, every year there was a handful of students who were enamored of everything Lovecraft. He lived most of his life here in Rhode Island and there are landmarks all over the state that bear historical markers connected to HP. Halloween is occasion for Lovecraftian aficionados to visit the Swan Point cemetery and his modest grave site.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 29 Sep 2014, 08:09

Thanks to Sacchi for the market tip!

Desire Behind Bars: Lesbian Prison Erotica

Publisher: Bella Books
Editors: Salome Wilde and Talon Rihai
Genre: lesbian erotica
Theme: "How does prison life complicate (and at times create) lesbian romance?"
Length: 2,000-6,000 words
Deadline: 15 December 2014
Payment: $50 USD by PayPal and 1 copy each of paperback and eBook upon publication

more info here: http://www.salandtalerotica.com/our-blo ... ehind-bars
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 02 Nov 2014, 07:45

QUEERS DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION!

Publisher: LIGHTSPEED
Editors: Seanan McGuire (the original short stories); Sigrid Ellis (flash fiction); and Steve Berman (reprints)
Genre: science fiction
Theme: diverse queer representation and queer themes
Restrictions: authors must identify as queer (gay, lesbian, bisexual, demisexual, asexual, pansexual, intersex, transgender, genderfluid, genderqueer)
Length: short stories 1500-7500 words; flash fiction <1500 words
Deadline: February 15, 2015
Payment: 8¢/word for original fiction; 2¢/word for reprints

more info here: http://submissions.johnjosephadams.com/ ... sf/submit/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 13 Dec 2014, 08:16

Thunder of War, Lightning of Desire: Lesbian Historical Military Erotica (Working Title)

Edited by Sacchi Green
Published by Lethe Press

More than six hundred women—most likely many more—passed as men to fight in the American Civil War, and that’s not counting the nurses and spies. In WWI women served as nurses and ambulance drivers, and in Russia Maria Boskareva’s Women’s Battalion of Death was not the only group of female fighters. By WWII women were ferrying fighter planes in the US and the UK, and in Russia the “Night Witches” flew bombers. For the nurses and WACs in the Korean and Vietnam Wars the front lines were everywhere, and the “long-haired army” on the Viet Cong side fought al least as fiercely as any men.

Give me stories about passionate women finding each other amidst the storm of war, coming together for comfort, driven by adrenaline and hormones, hurling their pleasure into the teeth of mortality. From the nurses with Florence Nightingale in the Crimea to those with MASH units in Korea and Vietnam, from female soldiers taking shelter behind stone walls at Chancellorsville to French Resistance operatives trysting behind haystacks in Normandy, from any military conflict anywhere between 1850 and the 1970s, find a period you can be passionate about, research it until you know it more intimately than you remember yesterday, and write characters and a plot and fiery sex that can sweep readers right along with them. Diversity of characters is more than welcome.

I’ll only be taking a few stories from each time period, sometimes even just one, so feel free to tell me what you’re working on so I can tell you whether too many others are doing something similar. Inquiries are advisable, but not mandatory. Historical accuracy counts, and so do originality and intensity and all those elements we need to see in the best erotic fiction. Give me brief encounters or lifetime commitments even when life is in the balance; desperate embraces or dark humor; whatever your characters need to get them through the night, and through the war. Know your history as well as your characters, and write a story as intriguing as it is steamy.

The preferred story length is between 3000 and 6000 words. Payment will be from $50 to $150, depending on length, and two copies of the paperback. The deadline is April 30, 2015. Queries are welcome; contact me at sacchigreen@gmail.com

Fran says: Wow, I need to get a story in this so I can have a copy of the book, if for no other reason than the cover art. I consistently LOVE Lethe's cover art.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Dec 2014, 11:40

That sounds great, Sacchi! Definitely a book I will buy.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Markets