Sales and earnings

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: Sales and earnings

Postby Baker » 18 Jan 2012, 16:20

lol
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby sbarret » 04 Feb 2012, 14:27

I just finished a modern day zombie book. The genre has potential :-)

That said, does the lesfic world lag behind on genre trends? Seems vampires, werewolves and now zombies hit mainstream and were already fading by the time lesfic equivalent books started coming out.
sbarret
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby FranW » 03 Jun 2012, 15:51

Lesfic authors and publishers seem to take it for granted that it is normal, necessary, and laudable that every single bit of information about contracts, sales figures, etc is kept sooooooo secret that it's pretty much impossible for an aspiring author to make any guesses about whether a publisher would be right for her or not.

It is not normal, necessary, or laudable.

Entangled Publishing is a new e-press turned e/print press. Here's their most recent blog post:
At the end of every fiscal quarter, I’ll be sharing stats, what we’ve been up to and why in this new blog column. Prepare yourselves… It’ll likely be a tome. We hope you enjoy reading about everything going on at Entangled Publishing. As always, feel free to ask questions in the comments.

http://www.entangledinromance.com/2012/ ... -the-tape/

And it is practically a tome. That's because the owner shares all the details. How they got distribution. Why they switched from POD to print runs. How much it cost them. How long it took. How much they spend per print run. How many copies their new line has sold. Real, solid info.

And some of it's pretty impressive:
In February, we launched our first digital-only category romance imprint, Indulgence. We weren’t sure what would happen when it launched, but we knew we had some amazing titles and were super excited to share them with the world…and the world loved them! We’ve sold 435,000 copies worldwide in just three and a half months, garnered ten foreign rights sales, and have watched with excitement as one book hit the USA Today and NY Times bestseller lists and, just this week, hit the Wall Street Journal’s bestseller list!

And their authors are likewise forthcoming:
Jennifer Probst is more than happy to share her success story with fellow authors. To date, The Marriage Bargain has sold more than 313,000 copies for an author royalty of approximately $375,000.

If I had a book, I'd submit to them. Right now.

Lesfic readers complain when lesfic writers "turn traitor" and go mainstream and/or write het. What they don't realise is that it's not just for the money. It's because then you can work with normal, professional people instead of the control-freak crackpots in lesfic.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 04 Jun 2012, 03:15

Wow.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 05 Jun 2012, 07:31

FranW wrote:It's because then you can work with normal, professional people instead of the control-freak crackpots in lesfic.

FTW

Edited to add: Proof, FTW = for the win.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 05 Jun 2012, 09:52

Nowhere but lesfic would you ever find anyone talking about the 'queen' publishers, 'knight' authors, and 'commoner' readers.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 05 Jun 2012, 23:30

Thank you, Baker.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 05 Jun 2012, 23:37

I think it's an attitude born of paucity and greed. It's a small market, so they get territorial and guard what's theirs...even put chains on it to keep it theirs. Meanwhile, their secrecy and restrictions are stultifying it.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 06 Jun 2012, 07:21

I didn't mean you, Proof!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Jun 2012, 12:52

I know, Fran. I was thanking Baker for translating FTW. She knows I am woefully unschooled in those abbreviations. I translated that one as F--k the World...it worked for me at the time. :)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Markets