e-piracy

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

e-piracy

Postby FranW » 25 Jan 2012, 06:13

If you find sites offering pirated books, post 'em here so our authors can check and see if their own books are on it.

Here's one: http://www.ebookr.com/search/

It looks quite legit: pay a fee and have access to as many books as you like. Except all the books are stolen. Yes. If there's anything worse than some asshole thinking it's okay to give away books they don't have the rights to, it's an asshole selling books they don't have the rights to. And this site is slick, professional looking, and likely to fool an awful lot of innocent book-buyers. Did I mention assholes? Yes. These people are assholes.

This site seems to stick with the bestsellers so I don't think there's any lesfic on it (searching for Radclyffe came up with nothing) (editing to add: but they've got all Kallmaker's books, so I've emailed her to tell her) but it's a good idea to check, and then follow their instructions for how to issue a takedown: http://www.ebookr.com/content/9/dmca/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: e-piracy

Postby Sacchi » 25 Jan 2012, 06:38

I see that they've got Harlan Ellison. His lawyers will be on it. Maybe I'll even break my lurker-only rule on SFF Net to alert folks. (I'm generally reluctant to post there, since I haven't done much in sf&f in recent years, but I did break cover recently to post my Heireeses of Rus Call for Recommendations.)
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 25 Jan 2012, 09:32

No L-J Baker, but, yeah, lots of Karin Kallmaker, including Rollercoaster, her newest.
Nicola Griffith
Kelley Eskridge
Lynn Ames

I love that they declare their own copyright. :no:
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 25 Jan 2012, 09:40

By the way, how do you know they are stolen?
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 25 Jan 2012, 10:52

Because they're not an authorized seller of Bella Books, nor of Phoenix Rising which is Lynn Ames's Publisher.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 25 Jan 2012, 10:53

From the website:
We offer unlimited book downloads, the same way Netflix offers unlimited movie streaming. There's no other place offering unlimited downloads

The reason there's no other place offering such package downloads is that publishers have not licensed anyplace to do so.

And this:
eBookr does not host any content on the service, other than user-provided commentary....Each contributor to the Service of data, text, images, sounds, video, software and Contributions is solely responsible for the accuracy, reliability, nature, rights clearance, compliance with law and legal restrictions associated with their contribution. As such, eBookr is not responsible to, and shall not, regularly monitor or check for the accuracy, reliability, nature, rights clearance, compliance with law and legal restrictions associated with any Contribution.

So, they're claiming that they don't actually put the books on their site to download. Other 'contributors' do that, or else they're giving you cyberlocker links to books elsewhere. So eBookr is claiming they're not responsible if the books aren't legal.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 26 Jan 2012, 03:28

Ah, thanks. I was just curious what to look for.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 26 Jan 2012, 13:20

By the way, I let Nicola Griffith know about hers and Kelley's. Has anyone warned Lynn?
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 26 Jan 2012, 13:34

I will, thanks for mentioning it. :-)
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Markets