Self-publisher services

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Self-publisher services

Postby FranW » 17 Jun 2012, 15:11

I reckon it's time to add places that sell services to self-publishers to our ongoing lists of commercial print and e-presses.

Lulu and CreateSpace are the two I know of that are comprehensive. DeviantArt seems to be the place to go if you want to hire an artist.

Everyone's welcome to add to the info here.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Self-publisher services

Postby FranW » 17 Jun 2012, 15:19

Rooster Fish Press

Their intro page seems to describe a typical GLBTQ small press, but the submission guidelines say:

Rooster Fish Press provides the independent author with all of the support required to make your publishing experience a stress free event. We offer the structure, the resources, and the media contacts for you to successfully publish and market your book. Our staff includes professional editors, cover designers, book layout and marketing professionals. We obtain competitive print quotes. We offer international distribution for your book. Our staff has international qualifications and many years experience in the book trade. We only accept manuscripts that we feel have market potential.

http://www.windshift.bc.ca/rfpsub.htm

To me, Rooster Fish has a bit of a whiff of someone who knows GLBTQ authors have limited options for publication, and who knows GLBTQ (and other) authors want to avoid the stigma of vanity publishing, and who knows that authors want to think that their book is good enough to get past an acquiring editor, and who knows that many authors are clueless enough that they can't tell the difference between a vanity press and a self publishing sevice, and who is taking advantage of all this by calling themselves a self publisher service while catering to authors' egos by claiming to selectively acquire only the best manuscripts while taking advantage of clueless authors, and thus parting authors from their money. But I could just be overly cynical. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Self-publisher services

Postby ElaineB » 18 Jun 2012, 00:35

Alliance of Independent Authors
http://allianceindependentauthors.org/

Our non-profit organisation supports, guides, advises, connects, promotes and advocates for the self-publishing author.

Don't know anything about this group, but Andi Marquette pointed it out on Facebook. Looks like something indies would be well advised to join. Former publishing exec Jane Friedman is the US rep. Not free.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Markets