Goodreads new review policies

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Goodreads new review policies

Postby PhoenixGre » 27 Sep 2013, 10:44

Has anyone heard of this? If you did, what are your opinions or thoughts?

http://mashable.com/2013/09/25/goodreads-censorship/

Call me a literal tribal living in a cave, but I'm astounded at such things even happening on both sides of the coin, at what I initially thought to be a more grounded community of readers and authors there alike.

Edit: I just realized I should have posted this in the "Discussions and Info" sub-forum instead. Feel free to move the thread, if it doesn't fit.
Last edited by PhoenixGre on 30 Sep 2013, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
PhoenixGre
Not much sign of life yet

Re: Goodreads new review policies

Postby wildlx » 28 Sep 2013, 20:41

I think Fran posted something but I can't find it at the moment. It never ceases me to surprise what people do in reviews. The other day someone was commenting on a reviewer regarding a book review on Amazon. I went to see what the fuss was all about and in the middle of the review she wrote:

What I got was a really bad choice to tell this one in first person narrative. One voice by one author totally indulging in her own witticism. I didn't see any characters here. Just the author's personality. Perhaps if this author was a big-boobed femme, I mighta enjoyed the kidnapped lead. Instead she was a pompous and aggressive brute who behaves violently with the female captain and had no appeal at all. And not an ounce of femininity.

WTF? This is not reviewing the book. This is making comments about the author!
The author has commented the review on her blog:
IN WHICH I REASSURE HREDZAK ABOUT MY BOOBS!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 29 Sep 2013, 08:51

Frankly, it was inevitable. I think we're seeing a new law of the internet in action. In any location where there are expressions of opinion, you will get people who make it personal. Now, add in that a book review can directly affect someone's earnings, and this effect gets multiplied a thousand-fold. Authors are people, and some of them will react badly to criticism of their works. Reviewers are human, and will criticise the author instead of the book. A small percentage of people will take it further: authors sock-puppeting to give their own book rave reviews; sock-puppets attacking those who gave their books poor reviews; reviewers who threaten authors. It's a sick, sad, and inevitable tale of human nature.

I see there are some sites--not necessarily book reviews, but general websites--that are toying wiht the idea of banning comments altogether because of the troll behaviour. The net has simply allowed the worst of human behaviour to propogate on a global forum.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 29 Sep 2013, 09:20

When it comes to the intertubes: if you're not the paying customer, then you are the product. Reviewers aren't paying GoodReads any money. As far as I know, GR's money comes from advertisers -- publishers and authors.

Have some reviewers written idiotic reviews that make personal attacks on the author? Yes. Have some authors attacked (and set friends on to attack) and discredited perfectly good reviewers simply because the reviewer gave the author a less-than-glowing review? Yes.

But, if there are complaints both ways, that reviewers are personally attacking authors, and authors are personally attacking reviewers, it's not surprising GR is going to take the side their bread is buttered on.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 29 Sep 2013, 10:04

The reviewer quoted above seems to be assuming that first-person narration means that the author identifies with the character and draws her in her own image. I hope this attitude isn't widespread, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 29 Sep 2013, 10:11

Yes, anything is possible ...
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PhoenixGre » 30 Sep 2013, 06:11

wildlx wrote:WTF? This is not reviewing the book. This is making comments about the author!
The author has commented the review on her blog:
IN WHICH I REASSURE HREDZAK ABOUT MY BOOBS!

Goodness, that "review" is awful. It feels a lot more like a personal crusade against the authoress than anything else.

And I still don't know what's actually bad about the book, except for the reviewer not liking the relationship dynamics involved and the story being written in first person narrative. While nothing wrong with that, is personal taste and has little relevance on whether a book is well-written or not to me.

Sacchi wrote:The reviewer quoted above seems to be assuming that first-person narration means that the author identifies with the character and draws her in her own image. I hope this attitude isn't widespread, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Personally, I'm a bit doubtful. I think that particular reviewer was pulling things out of a box to be overtly critical. One particular piece of original fiction that I enjoyed was of a double first-person style. The two main female characters were written in alternating POVS, first-person narrative, in a slight time turner fashion. I found it quite interesting myself.
PhoenixGre

Return to Markets