Print Book Publishers

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: Print Book Publishers

Postby FranW » 05 Jul 2011, 07:25

Yeah, but it has been saying CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE for weeks.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 08 Jul 2011, 13:30

Linen Press

A small UK press that proclaims itself to be "by women, for women" (though I don't think they have much interest in lesbian stuff). Their focuses are "literary fiction, top end contemporary fiction and memoir, and women's non-fiction." The owner appears to be a writer who collected one too many rejection slips herself (and, sadly, it shows. In related news, grapes continue to be sour).

Linen Press has announced that they are now charging a ten pound submission fee, so if you were thinking of submitting to them, I'd suggest you think again.

http://www.linenpressbooks.com/about/

And a day later they've deleted the submission fee from their guidelines and deleted the blog post explaining why they're doing it. Now, instead, the owner/editor is offering to critique novels for a fee of £30/hour (about £350/US$700 for a 100K novel). Which is, if anything, an even bigger conflict of interest (IMO). "Pay me to read and probably reject your ms" is bad enough. "Pay me to critique your book" implies "and when you revise the book to fit my preferences then I as acquiring editor am very likely to accept your book for publication". Ugh. Hopefully they'll think twice -- again -- and get rid of this "service", and hopefully too they'll stop having "bright" ideas.

This has all come about, as far as I can tell, because the press is hemorrhaging money. If a press is losing, not making, money, then the press is doing something(s) wrong. The solution is NOT to cadge money from authors or would-be authors, though.

Also, while a substantive editor may well charge £30/hour -- standard editing fees can be seen here: http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php -- this lady isn't offering a full edit of your book, she's offering to read it and write a critique. Not the same thing.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 08 Jul 2011, 15:33

Oh, dear.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 09 Jul 2011, 08:42

Updated info on Linen Press above.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 09 Jul 2011, 08:54

Crikey. They're digging themselves into a bigger hole. I hope no one here is considering submitting to this place. This type of activity is the reddest of red flags.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby deej » 09 Jul 2011, 09:39

Yikes!!! Doesn't bode well at all.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 09 Oct 2011, 12:26

Apropos of nothing, Bywater Press is now publishing Georgia Beers. (Which, in my book, gets them lots of props.)
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 09 Oct 2011, 12:29

Couldn't agree more. I'm looking forward to her latest. :-)
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 09 Oct 2011, 12:33

They have a good rep, they put out good work. Beers is a good writer and a good person -- I'm glad to see her books have found a good home.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 10 Oct 2011, 04:14

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting the new one when in P'town.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Markets