E-presses

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: E-presses

Postby Jane_H » 08 Aug 2011, 10:28

Thank you, Fran. I'm still reeling. The previous series sale I made, back in November, was for twice as much, but all the same, to have sold two series in one year for a total of 6 novels and both to Random House ...

Well, like I said, I'm still reeling. :yikes:

And giving as much support as possible to the Embrace authors during this tricky time for them. E-presses are like that, though. They don't cost much to set up and so can be quite ephemeral things. That's not necessarily all bad. It gives them freedom to do things more traditional presses perhaps can't. But it does make them less stable in the long term.
Jane_H
Not much sign of life yet
Not much sign of life yet

Postby FranW » 08 Aug 2011, 10:53

Selling to Random House is DEFINITELY awesomely awesome!

And yeah, it's rough on authors when a press closes. It's why I'm always reluctant to recommend new presses, e- or print: the majority go out of business within two years, and that limbo period can totally tank a new author's career.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 09 Aug 2011, 14:43

Jane_H wrote: But it does make them less stable in the long term.

And the not-so-long term, apparently.

Good call, Fran, in pegging Embrace as a market writers ought to exercise some caution with. Thanks for looking into things like that for us. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 15 Aug 2011, 09:22

Musa Publishing

A new e-press that plans to take selected titles to print, and will be doing limited print runs rather than POD. They have a GLBTQ imprint, and a YA imprint that they'd like to see some GLBT books for as well. They're brand new (haven't released any books yet) but the staff do have a fair bit of experience in the industry, and Musa has also started up a spec fic ezine (Penumbra) that is paying 5 cents/word (i.e., pro rates). So while all the usual caveats for new presses apply, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

The website is mostly a placeholder at this time, but the submission guidelines are there: http://www.musapublishing.com/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 02 Nov 2011, 14:34

Freya Publications

Looks to be a new, UK based lesbian/bisexual Kindle-only e publisher. They say:
We are dedicated to giving new writers the opportunity to see their work in print.

http://www.freyapublications.com/Submis ... lines.html

Personally, I look for publishers who are dedicated to publishing good books and selling lots and lots of them to the public, but YMMV.

Freya has one book out and one forthcoming, both by the same author (Toni James). The book has one review on Amazon, a gushing five stars, by Charlotte Finch. Fincy has only posted this single book review on Amazon. The Freya website is registered to Charlotte Finch. I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that Charlotte Finch is, or is married to, Toni James. Yet another self publisher trying to pretend othewise, sigh.....

They're open to novel submissions (to 90K words) and also have two anthologies they're soliciting submissions for, but since they don't mention anything about paying their authors, I won't bother listing them in the anthology market thread.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 15 Nov 2011, 11:17

Hellicious Horror Epublishing

They describe themselves as an "independent epublishing company devoted solely to horror e-books starring straight, bi, gay, lesbian, transgender, transsexual and transvestite preteens through young adults, by young people and new, undiscovered authors that love and live to write." Accepting horror ms 40,000 words and up.

http://www.hellicioushorrors.com/submissions.html
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 12 Aug 2012, 13:15

Etopia Press

A new-ish e-press/POD focused on erotica/romance, F/SF, and historicals. They have a GLBT imprint. They accept shorts, novellas, and novels, and for longer works pay a $100 - $1000 advance, plus competitive royalties. Their cover art looks pretty professional, too. They will look at reprints. (They're also looking for editors, if anyone's looking for a job.)

I don't know much about them, but so far everything I've heard is good, so they're probably worth putting on your list.

http://etopiapressblog.wordpress.com/su ... uidelines/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 03 Sep 2012, 14:02

Harmony Ink Press

The new GLBTQ Young Adult imprint of Dreamspinner Press. Submission guidelines here: http://harmonyinkpress.com/submission-guidelines/

•LGBT primary character between the ages of 14 and 18 who shows significant personal growth through the course of the story.
•Authentic voice, unforgettable characters, and powerful world building (even for contemporary stories).
•Novella or novel length (15,000-90,000 words). All manuscripts over 45,000 words will release in print as well as ebook.

All novels are contracted in print and digital formats, which are released simultaneously. A $500-$1,000 advance is paid in a single payment upon receipt of the signed contract. Once the advance is satisfied, novels earn 40% royalties for digital sales and 30% royalties for paperback sales.
Novellas do not receive an advance and earn 40% royalties for digital sales.

No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 08 Feb 2013, 12:25

Riverdale Ave Books

This is a new publisher run by Lori Perkins (also a literary agent, also the ex-editor of Ravenous Romance) and Don Weise (ex-Alyson Books). They've got a GLBT imprint, an erotica imprint (GLBT welcome), and a F/SF imprint. Cecilia Tan is working with them (for me, that's always a selling point: I love me some Cecilia Tan).

E- and audio books only; no advance; reprints considered; 3 months from contract to release (which, to me, says minimal editing). Cover art looks good. If you've had the rights returned to a book and want to put it out as an ebook, this press is probably well worth checking into.

http://riverdaleavebooks.com/Pages/WriteForUs
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 08 Jul 2014, 13:27

Riptide Publishing

No relation to Riptide Press.

Looks to be mainly an epress for GLBTQ with some titles going POD or print. Looking for all lengths from short to novel, and all levels of 'heat'. They've got quite a few books out, but I don't know who the owners/editors are. If anyone has any info on RP, let us know!

Info on open calls here: http://riptidepublishing.com/call-for-submissions
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Markets