E-presses

Lesbian short story and novel publishers.

Moderator: FranW

Re: E-presses

Postby FranW » 04 Aug 2011, 09:23

FranW wrote:Saffron imprint of Embrace Books (Thanks to Sandra for the market tip!)

They're a brand new e-press (UK), but the founders run Salt Publishing, which looks to be a well established and respectable British poetry-focused small press.
http://www.saltpublishing.com/

However, earlier this year Salt was teetering on involvency, which is why they're moving to e-books:
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/12307 ... -left.html

The romance editor for Embrace, Jane Holland, is a well known poet and novelist whose work was published with Salt Publishing. I can't find anything about her having a romance editing background, other than her mum having been a big name writer in the genre, but in an interview (http://theliteraryproject.blogspot.com/ ... lland.html) she said she loves to read romance, particularly bubbly Heyeresque romance, and is actively soliciting paranormal and lesbian romance. She seems to be open to most genres.

They've also got a F/SF imprint, which is NOT romance.

More info on this thread on another forum, where the editor has been answering questions: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/52 ... ere-3.html

I've got a good feeling about this one.... I've done a bit more research on the web, and the words from the wise are that it'd be a good idea to submit your mss elsewhere. And between the questionable finances, and the odds against someone whose expertise is poetry and literary fiction will successfully make the leap to editing commercial romance, and the fact that no e-press (as far as I know) has successfully marketed any genre but erotica, yeah, I'm inclined to agree.

There's a thread on AW here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/sho ... p?t=194679

UDPATE: The editor, Jane Holland, last month stepped down from Embrace Books for unspecified reasons. She's announced it here: http://rawlightblog.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... books.html though there's no mention of it on either the Salt or Embrace websites. The Embrace website itself at embrace.co.uk seems to have deteriorated, though it does note they are now closed to submissions; the main Embrace link now directs to the Salt website. There's little mention of the Saffron line. I think this is a dead/dying market.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 05 Aug 2011, 12:54

More update: Yes, Embrace Books is closing down: http://rachellyndhurst.blogspot.com/201 ... close.html
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 05 Aug 2011, 16:23

I can testify that Jane Holland is an excellent writer. However, that appears to be neither here nor there at this point.
Last edited by Sacchi on 23 Jan 2012, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 06 Aug 2011, 13:16

I don't think there's any question about J Holland's writing ability; she's published some excellent work. But writing and editing are two different skills, and launching a new press to success requires yet a third skill set. I don't know why Embrace went under, or whose skills failed; I haven't even seen any speculation as to whether Holland fled a sinking ship, or was pushed, or took a ship down with her. But, for whatever reason, Embrace and its Saffron imprint are no more.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Jane_H » 08 Aug 2011, 04:09

Hi folks, just popping in to add that yes, very sadly, I believe that Embrace Books is no more. I can't confirm that, since I did indeed resign a few weeks ago as Executive Editor, but the latest info I have is that it will or has already closed. It's not my own imprint, but belongs to Salt Publishing, which has been established for over ten years and is still going strong.

Just to gently correct some comments above though, there were no problems with my editing - none that anyone shared with me, at any rate! - and all the covers and production values were absolutely first-rate. And my background is not, as claimed above, only in poetry and lit fic, but in fact in commercial fiction, where I have - and continue to have - a strong publishing history. (Just not under my own name.) I have also been an editor of one thing or another since 1995, which seems a reasonable amount of experience by any standards.

I did specify why I stepped down, and there was nothing sinister about my resignation. In the past ten months, I've personally sold two historical fiction series to two major publishers, and am simply unable to run (without any help) an imprint that publishes over a dozen authors as well as write at that pace. This is easily confirmed by googling me.

I gave my resignation privately some months ago, and had hoped that a replacement would be found in the interim. I was indeed hanging on in that hope, even though the delay was difficult for me. But replacing me has proved impossible, apparently, and now that my resignation has been announced, the directors at Salt have chosen to close the imprint rather than sell it. That is all I know.

I'm very sad and sorry about the authors at Embrace, and hope they will all soon republish their very lovely novels with other publishers. It was a great year, and I feel I did a good job. One of our titles sold over a thousand copies in the first 3 months, which is not which I would term a failure. It's just a huge pity that the imprint will not continue to live after my departure. I'm not sure why that has to be so, but it's out of my hands now.

Thank you for allowing me onto the forum to post that explanation. It's good to be here. And hello again, Sacchi! ;)
Jane_H
Not much sign of life yet

Postby Sacchi » 08 Aug 2011, 04:22

Hi Jane! My point, made rather poorly, was that I had reason to think you were knowledgeable in genres such as romance.
Last edited by Sacchi on 23 Jan 2012, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Jane_H » 08 Aug 2011, 04:30

LOL

I am honoured that you should use the word 'excellent' to describe anything of mine. I'm a big fan of your work, and I don't think your point was poorly made at all. I understood it, anyway.

I probably shouldn't have come along. But it's hard not to join in discussions when your own name is mentioned on a public forum. I wouldn't dream of commenting on someone's opinion of my work, unless perhaps it was based on a misunderstanding, but it's hard not to comment when the facts regarding my job are a little, shall we say, askew?

Hope you're well and writing!
Jane_H

Postby FranW » 08 Aug 2011, 09:30

Jane_H wrote:I did specify why I stepped down, and there was nothing sinister about my resignation. In the past ten months, I've personally sold two historical fiction series to two major publishers, and am simply unable to run (without any help) an imprint that publishes over a dozen authors as well as write at that pace. This is easily confirmed by googling me.

I gave my resignation privately some months ago, and had hoped that a replacement would be found in the interim. I was indeed hanging on in that hope, even though the delay was difficult for me. But replacing me has proved impossible, apparently, and now that my resignation has been announced, the directors at Salt have chosen to close the imprint rather than sell it. That is all I know.

Thanks for that update, Jane! I didn't see the bit about the sale of your two series in that blog post, which is why I left it at "no reason given." Good to have the info from the mare's mouth, so to speak. ;)
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Jane_H » 08 Aug 2011, 10:00

Sorry, Fran, the post immediately before the resignation post was one of my SOLD! posts, but of course, if you landed on the individual blog page at Raw Light, you would have missed the news. Yes, I'm not able to do both jobs anymore, sadly. But good to see that most of the authors at Embrace have risen to the challenge and self-published the books straightaway, at least one within 24 hours of the imprint closing. That's what I call get-up-and-go!
Last edited by Jane_H on 30 Sep 2011, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Jane_H

Postby FranW » 08 Aug 2011, 10:15

Jane_H wrote:Sorry, Fran, the post immediately before the resignation post was one of my SOLD! posts, but of course, if you landed on the individual blog page at Raw Light, you would have missed the news.

Ah. Yup, that's exactly what I did.

And congrats on the sale! That is awesome.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Markets