Phoenix Rising Press: February 2011

Information about publishers of GLBT fiction.

Moderator: FranW

Re: Phoenix Rising Press: February 2011

Postby Proofrdr » 03 Feb 2011, 04:35

Great interview! Excellent questions met with clear and complete answers. Now, even I have a better idea of what I'm doing. ;)

With respect to Kris Rusch's blog you posted recently, Fran, it seems the PRP model would be ideal for midlist authors.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 03 Feb 2011, 08:03

Yup, Proof, and I reckon we'll be seeing a lot more of that in the future. Though for midlist authors who publish with the large presses, and who routinely sell 10,000 - 100,000 copies per title, there aren't currently any models that would let them go the self/consortium route and have access to the distribution and bookstore placement that the large presses have and that are really essential for those kinds of sales figures. Few midlisters will swap 8% royalties on 50,000 copies for 40% royalties on 2,000 copies, and really that's pretty much the max sales you can expect when you're with any kind of POD press that doesn't have distribution and bookstore placement. Working with the wholesalers like Ingrams and B%T doesn't generate the sales that a real distributor does.

It's not hard to envision a future where authors give their books away for free until they've got a following and sufficient demand, and then they go to a small press type consortium/self publish model and sell their books until they've gone viral/blockbuster, and then they go with a large publisher type partner who has the distribution and marketing abilities and is willing to finance large print runs; in that last instance, the royalty rates would be higher than they are currently because the author is a known quantity rather than a risk.

It'll be interesting to see what direction things go in....
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 03 Feb 2011, 08:48

"Phoenix Rising Press books are available in every bookstore in the US"
If only that were true. My nearest Borders is down to a mere dozen lesfic books on less than one shelf--and not a Lynn Ames among them. There actually were a couple I was interested in (unlike most times I check), but I decided to leave them for others. I've got too big a "to-read" pile right now. I suppose technically they are available because they could be ordered. But a visit to a bookstore is an endeavor (unlike clicking online), so I'd almost never order a book in a store.

Thanks for this Fran and Lynn. Fascinating.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 03 Feb 2011, 08:58

There isn't any book that's available in *every* bookstore, because bookstores *choose* which books they'll stock. A publisher can't force them to do it. Even books like Harry Potter aren't in *every* bookstore. There will surely be some indie Christian books who refuse to stock books about "evil magic". (Those would be the bookstores my sister in law shops at. Bless her heart, as Andi M would say.)

In the main, bookstores stock a given title because they think it will sell. They think it will sell because someone has convinced them the book will sell. That someone will be a distributor with a catalogue and a gift for gab and, sometimes, money from the publisher to pay the bookstore for placement of the book in a prominent location in the store. So a title from a big publisher will usually be stocked in *most* chain bookstores, though probably not all.

POD titles are available for order *through* bookstores. But in general they won't be stocked *in* bookstores because of the lack of distribution. And that in a nutshell is why sales of small press/POD books are one or more orders of magnitude lower than sales of large press books. It's because ~90% of novels are purchased in bookstores by buyers shopping in person. And like Elaine said, they don't go to bookstores to order books. They go there to buy the books that are on the shelves.

POD publishers tend to say "our books are available in bookstores" when they mean "our books are available for order through bookstores". Unfortunately new authors inevitably misinterpret "through bookstores" as "stocked in bookstores", and vanity/scam presses like PublishAmerica deliberately use that misleading language to con authors into signing with them.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 03 Feb 2011, 09:11

ElaineB wrote:"Phoenix Rising Press books are available in every bookstore in the US"
If only that were true. My nearest Borders is down to a mere dozen lesfic books on less than one shelf--and not a Lynn Ames among them.

I do believe that is a function of Borders' near bankruptcy. Our local Borders has so many empty shelves and so few new books. Borders is even restricting new orders. Very sad. Try a Barnes & Noble.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby lynnames » 03 Feb 2011, 09:12

Deej, I'll answer anybody's questions, except for yours. <g>
lynnames
Not much sign of life yet

Postby deej » 03 Feb 2011, 09:14

lynnames wrote:Deej, I'll answer anybody's questions, except for yours. <g>
rofl rofl rofl I'm behaving. Honest!!!
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 03 Feb 2011, 09:18

Now, Lynn, you're looking for writers with a reputation. Clearly Deej has one.

Oh, it has to be a good one?

never mind.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby lynnames » 03 Feb 2011, 09:58

LOL, Elaine. Well, it SHOULD be a good one. Which, of course, leaves Deej out. Besides, it's her wife that wants me. <g>
lynnames

Postby deej » 03 Feb 2011, 10:10

Hey Lynn :tanner:
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Meet the Publishers