Lethe Press Query for All of Us

Information about publishers of GLBT fiction.

Moderator: FranW

Lethe Press Query for All of Us

Postby Sacchi » 29 Mar 2011, 02:32

Lethe Press is seriously considering a lesbian counterpart to their acclaimed Wilde Stories series. Steve is thinking about calling it Wilde for Her. He's really curious whether, if he edited the series, lesbians would be offended that a male was doing so. Would it hurt sales, etc.?

Also, if he teamed up with a different lesbian "guest editor" every year would that compensate for his male presence?
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Lethe Press Query for All of Us

Postby ElaineB » 29 Mar 2011, 02:52

I'm not familiar with the series. Would the stories be written by others? I confess to a bias against male authors (Though I can be swayed--Geon Cannon comes to mind. And often I'm just plain wrong--Clifford Henderson comes to mind!)

The guest editor route would work for me.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby stevelethe » 29 Mar 2011, 02:57

Wilde Stories is in its 4th year - the stories are culled from a variety of venues but all are gay male spec fic (fantasy, horror, sci-fi).

I'm envisioning Wilde For Her to follow a similar notion - reprinting under one cover the best lesbian-themed spec fic that could be found in small and large press anthologies, magazines, websites, etc.
stevelethe
Not much sign of life yet

Postby ElaineB » 29 Mar 2011, 02:59

What's "culled" mean? Do you reprint or seek out new stuff? So fantasy might be one book and horror another? (I like the former; not so much the latter.)

Always happy to hear about new markets for short fiction!
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby stevelethe » 29 Mar 2011, 03:06

Culled - as in searching through previously published work. Wilde for Her would be all reprinted stories.
stevelethe

Postby deej » 29 Mar 2011, 04:43

I think it would sell, simply because so many of the ladies here and on FB love those genre. As for the editing thing, I'm a little torn, maybe start out with a woman as a partner to ensure the sales are not hurt by a male editor. Like Sacchi edit's some books with Rakelle, yours could Steve B and ???? A woman guest editor would probably work too. Steve this sounds like an exciting venture, good luck with it.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Garza » 29 Mar 2011, 05:19

I would not be offended by a male editor.

Unless they're so heavily edited that they take on a "this is a man writing this lesbian story" flavor.
Does that make any sense?
Love more; give what you can; want less.
Garza
Increasingly animated
Increasingly animated

Postby FranW » 29 Mar 2011, 06:18

While I *love* the idea, I have to admit that I'd project poor sales. Short story collections don't sell as well as novels, and this collection would be competing with the annual lesbian romance colletion and lesbian erotica collection. Spec fic really doesn't sell well to lesbians, nor do genre short stories outside erotica, nor does anything without lots o' sex in it -- unless Steve can find a way to tap into readers outside of traditional lesfic. (Which he may well be able to do?) The Year's Best Lesbian Fiction collection sells about a fifth as well as a novel from the same press.

It's my guess too that his sales would be heavily compromised if there weren't the name of a prominent female lesbian editor on the cover; while not all lesbian readers will twitch at a male editor, enough of them will to make it a problem.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby stevelethe » 29 Mar 2011, 06:38

Fran,

I'm not too worried about sales. I certainly don't want to lose money but I think that with a 4.99 priced ebook I would do well. Plus a lot of the stories would probably be pulled from the spec fic field so some lesbians would not be familiar with them.

The revolving female co-editor is critical. Alas, the one I just spoke to is too busy. I don't mind doing most of the grunt work, asking my connections for possible reprint entries.
stevelethe

Postby PaulaO » 29 Mar 2011, 07:33

I think that maybe just 2-3 years ago, it would have been more of an issue. RCE was frowned on for publishing Rick Reed and others but now nearly everyone has male writers with their lesbian presses. Older lesbians have a harder time with it (Lee Lynch shudders at the idea)

I think in e-book format, where the cover isn't as important, it would be possible to do it.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to Meet the Publishers