BBCode information

How to Join. Ask for help about forum features and functions. Admins and Moderators post announcements in here.

Moderator: Baker

BBCode information

Postby PaulaO » 21 Dec 2011, 15:29

BBCode is short for Bulletin Board Code. It is the coding used that makes text bold, colored, italicized, underlined, etc.

Nearly every forum on the 'Net uses BBCode unless they are brave enough to allow html (which would be just askin' for trouble). Each will use a slightly different method of buttons and arrangement and the like because each forum is slightly different based on platform and the theme. Some forums can be very simple with just the basics and others are so full of options one can get lost.

To use it, just highlight the text and use one of the buttons above. If you hover your mouse over a button, information will show itself in the space just above the box where you type. In this forum, the color choices are to the right. Highlight the text, hover over the color then click the one you want.

If you want to write something then post it here later, you can insert the BBCode into your document as you type. Most word processing software will not recognize BBCode and will leave it as simple text.

**WEBSITE URLs**
URLs are slightly different. Hightlight the text and hit the URL button.
NOTE: if all you want to use is the URL, you don't have to do anything. The forum software automatically changes it to a link.

Code: Select all
[url]Cool website![/url]

Then, right after the L in the first url, type an equal sign then put in the website address.

[url=http://lesbianfiction.org]Cool website![/url]

Which then looks like this:

Cool website!

**MULTIPLE CODE**
If you want to use multiple code on the same word or phrase, just highlight it, hit the button, highlight again (including the code) and hit the other button.

[u][i][b][url=http://lesbianfiction.org][color=#FF0000]Cool website![/color][/url][/b][/i][/u]

Cool website!

Special note for URLs: If you wish to color a link, you'll have to put the color code in first then everything else after else it will come out wonky like in the example below.

[color=#FF0000][u][i][b][url=http://lesbianfiction.org]Cool website![/url][/b][/i][/u][/color]

Cool website!

**YOUTUBE VIDEOS**

The YouTube code that you can copy from their site is overly complicated. This forum has a much simpler option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkkRYC781zk

The link above is for a Kate Clinton video. See the v= followed by some mishmash of numbers and letters? That's the code you need. Sometimes, the URL will be longer and will have an & after the mishmash. You don't want that.

Hit the Youtube button. It will put this in:

[youtube][/youtube]

Between the two, put in the number/letters.

[youtube]UkkRYC781zk[/youtube]

And it will display the embedded video. I won't do it here 'cause it will take up too much space. You can also just paste in the number/letters, highlight it, then hit the YouTube button and presto! There it is.

**IMAGES**

This is how you 'embed' an image into your post. *

First, if the image is on your computer, you need to upload the photo to a website such as Flickr or Photobucket or to your own website.

The photo host sites each have a different way to share images. With Flickr, select the 'share' button, then the 'grab the HTML/BBCode' option. Make sure the 'bbcode' is selected in that window. Highlight and paste that code here. This is similar to what you'll paste:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/10079673@N04/3088884427/][img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3269/3088884427_48138b3444.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/10079673@N04/3088884427/]Mike going home 03[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/10079673@N04/]paulaoffutt[/url], on Flickr

This is for an image of Mike. It has a lot of extra stuff that isn't necessary (in my opinion). I could delete everything except the start and end of the IMG.

[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3269/3088884427_48138b3444.jpg[/img]

This is the image's direct link, bypassing your privacy settings, enabling you to share the single image. If you want to direct someone to a bunch of photos you took on vacation, you'll need to make sure the folder is set to public and just give us the link to that folder/album.

I rarely put images up on public sites and instead put them on my website. If this is the case, it is MUCH, much simpler.

Copy the entire URL, paste it in a post, highlight it, and hit the IMG button.

[img]http://paulaoffutt.com/pics/critters/mike/11-29-08d.jpg[/img]

That's it! Just remember you need the entire URL (minus any extra crap if applicable). Have fun!

* There is a type of theft called 'hot linking'. That is where you link directly to another site's image. Each time the forum page with that image is loaded, it has to go to that site, grab the image, and paste it here. This steals bandwidth from that site. If the image is shared too many times or on a very active forum, it can cost the site a lot of money or bring the site down. Some places are built to deal with this, like Icanhazcheezburger, Flickr, and the like. So if you hotlink, make sure the site gives permission for it or, download and upload the image yourself BUT be sure to give the source. Else, you just committed copyright fraud. If you are unsure, just paste the link to the image and we'll all go look ourselves. That way the image is only loaded when someone goes to see that image directly, vs just by someone viewing the "cutest thing evar" thread.

As always, if you need help with something, just ask and someone will help you!

For further information, check out BBCode.org
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: BBCode information

Postby Baker » 22 Dec 2011, 06:11

Thanks for posting this, P! :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby deej » 22 Dec 2011, 06:16

Good job P.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 22 Dec 2011, 09:08

Thanks! I thought we had one of these before but it must've been at the other site.

Also, updated to clarify what makes the URL wonky if color is used in incorrect place.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 15 Mar 2012, 09:57

Updated to add how to add a photo or image. It will be the last item in the first page.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Athena » 15 Mar 2012, 10:08

Thanks Paula,
I was wondering, is there a way to include videos which are not on youtube or on google?
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 15 Mar 2012, 10:43

Not as far as I know. We looked into other options but decided not to. Best is to just put a direct link in.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 16 Mar 2012, 00:37

PaulaO wrote:* There is a type of theft called 'hot linking'. That is where you link directly to another site's image. Each time the forum page with that image is loaded, it has to go to that site, grab the image, and paste it here. This steals bandwidth from that site. If the image is shared too many times or on a very active forum, it can cost the site a lot of money or bring the site down. Some places are built to deal with this, like Icanhazcheezburger, Flickr, and the like. So if you hotlink, make sure the site gives permission for it or, download and upload the image yourself BUT be sure to give the source. Else, you just committed copyright fraud. If you are unsure, just paste the link to the image and we'll all go look ourselves. That way the image is only loaded when someone goes to see that image directly, vs just by someone viewing the "cutest thing evar" thread.

So if I find a picture I like, right click on it, and copy the url I see in the Properties, is that hot linking? And how would I know if they allow that? Me thinks, I've been a thief! :blush:
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 16 Mar 2012, 06:34

If a site has disabled hot linking, you will get a notification window when you right click on the image and you will not be able to copy the image location link.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby PaulaO » 16 Mar 2012, 06:41

Yep, that's hotlinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotlinking ... ne_linking

It depends on the site. Big commercial sites like Nat'l Geo can handle it. Little sites like mine or non-profits probably could not. If this is the only place the image is copied to, I might not even notice. If a webmaster is really against it or has been burned by it, there's things they can do to prevent it. The vast majority of the time, it doesn't matter but if the image becomes popular, it can crash a site. It also depends on the site where you are posting it. A little one like ours where the image quickly gets lost in the "Cute" thread might not matter much. But the opening page of a busy site would be a problem.

Just look at the URL of an image. If it points back to that little site, then it would be best to either ask permission or, if a stock photo, save it on your own and link back to the source. But if it is on one of the photo sites, go ahead and use it. But if the person is a professional photographer or artist, always ask if there is no watermark.

It is a 'crime' nearly all of us is guilty of.

If a site has disabled hot linking, you will get a notification window when you right click on the image and you will not be able to copy the image location link.

Not always, Baker. The method I was going to use but couldn't figure it out properly, did not do that. It was adding rules to the .htaccess file.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Help! and Admin